Alright convince me why I should buy a ZT

I've been buyin' knives for an awfully long time, goin' on 40+ years now, up until a few years ago I had every Knife periodical and many of the collector's guides so I'm no youngster in this game by a long stretch.

I'm far from a newbie and I think my time on BFC speaks for itself in regards what I know about cutlery but when it comes to Zero Tolerance I hafta admit I'm totally ignorant. I don't know one model from another, which are most desirable and which are standards everyone should have in their collection or ECD rotation.

I've got Sebenzas, Benchmades, Benchmarks, SOGs, Gerbers, Emerson, customs, I'd say I'm pretty diverse as far as what I collect and use so here's your chance to influence what might possibly be my next experiment in cutlery, give me solid reasons why or why not I should get into ZTs. By all means share pics of your knives (ZTs only) and stories about how wonderful or horrible they are, please no fiction only facts. Thanks, I look forward to an engaging discussion.

66eb74b1fb4a6183ee781dc15bc18306.jpg

Because they rock.

I'll be honest, they haven't made anything that particularly interests me in a long time, but they definitely have the quality down. The cutting geometry on most of their models is a bit thicker than I like, with the 0770 being a notable exception (and, I think, my favorite knife they currently make). ZT is very, very good at what they do which is, essentially, offering high-end production takes on some very popular custom designs, it doesn't do a ton for me, but I think they're very close to the top of the game in terms of ti framelock flippers and if that was my thing I would snap one or two of them up.

66eb74b1fb4a6183ee781dc15bc18306.jpg

Because they rock.

I really like the ZT0909, mine hasn't left my pocket since I got it. Use it for all kinds of stuff, digging splitters out of my hand, cutting ticks in half, assisting in getting sd cards out of trail cameras, cutting rope, cutting a seized lid of a deck sealer/stain can, etc.

Well built, smooth, solid lockup.

I think overall, they're solid knives for the price. I've had some issues with mine, and personally, I'm not into the whole "overbuilt" design/mentality of their knives (or any overbuilt brand/maker) anymore. Many people like them though, and there's nothing wrong with that.

If you're looking for a beefy knife that will give you the latest steels, collabs with hot makers, and the latest designs, then I say you should check them out. However, other makers like Reate are also putting out similar stuff in a close price bracket to ZT. Some say that Reate's quality exceeds ZT's for the dollar and I agree, but that's subjective.

Anyways, I think you just have to ask yourself what you're expecting out of a ZT. They are very different knives than the 6 production makers you mentioned.

I like the 804 CF, that's a sexy lookin' blade and I like the slim profile compared to the chunky look of the original ZTs. :)

I didn't know they made an ax, very cool.

I've done that with folders before, it's amazing what a well made knife is capable of.

Because they rock.[/QUOTE]

Gotta do better than that, that's no recommendation, why do they rock? Lot's of knives rock, if you were a salesman for Kershaw what would you tell me that would convince me. A's of now you're just a fan who bought it because someone else said it was cool. Facts man, Look at Stabman's reply, that's something I can work with. BTW thanks Stabman, those were great posts.

Just don't. The less demand the cheaper the rest of us might get them ;-)

JS, you can do better than that, I'm serious here, convince me why I'd be better off with ZT over another brand.

zt, while their designs arent for everyone, has consistently made excellent knives with top materials and superb fit in finish at an excellent price point. you are doing yourself a disservice by not owning one or 10. while i really love the looks, or designs, of spyderco, benchmade, emerson etc. and own many but there is just something about the quality of zt.

An 0900 was my first ZT and it is a fantastic little flipper knife that I have put to use in a bunch of situations in leisure and in work, including prying nails and staples, scoring sheetrock, and notching 4x4s. Additionally, I plain old enjoy flipping the thing open and closed. It is a very cool little folder.

I followed up with an 0804cf and only had it out of the box about 20 minutes before I repackaged it and initiated a return. It felt wonderful in hand and was very handsome, however, upon closing, the blade didn't clear the detent ball without rotating the blade far too near to the meat of my thumb. I knew it would only be a matter of time before I mindlessly shut the knife at a barbeque and discovered the lopped-off half of my thumb on the grill beside the carne asada and my guests splattered in gore, screaming like Jason Vorhees was in the place. It struck me as a critical oversight in design for a $280 knife and caused me to question the whole package. Hence, no further experience with that one.

Those are my two experiences, considerably different. I remain partial to other makers but the 0900 is still a very cool folder which I enjoy.

I like some ZT designs. But since I hate flippers , I've pretty much written them off. However , the 0620 CF kind of has my attention. It's not a flipper but it's (ugh) "waved". I may give it a try.

My 0550 is the only ZT I own because it's flipperless. And it's a beast of a knife. Very well-made.

One of my favorite brands. I've always found the quality to be good. The ZT's I've own have been rather thick and stout knives. Not light gentleman's knives, but still fit for a gentleman. My personal favorite is the 0566. A little smaller and lighter then some of the others. In fact, the 0566 is the only flipper that I currently have in rotation. It may start another argument, but I wish that ZT still had some Elmax for sale.

I think overall, they're solid knives for the price. I've had some issues with mine, and personally, I'm not into the whole "overbuilt" design/mentality of their knives (or any overbuilt brand/maker) anymore. Many people like them though, and there's nothing wrong with that.

If you're looking for a beefy knife that will give you the latest steels, collabs with hot makers, and the latest designs, then I say you should check them out. However, other makers like Reate are also putting out similar stuff in a close price bracket to ZT. Some say that Reate's quality exceeds ZT's for the dollar and I agree, but that's subjective.

Anyways, I think you just have to ask yourself what you're expecting out of a ZT. They are very different knives than the 6 production makers you mentioned.

I'm ashamed to say I don't know much about Reate's offerings other than to say I recognize the name. As far as overbuilt knives I don't think I own any folding pry bars I'm more of minimalist or actualist, I believe in a blade big enough to do the job and a little more but small enough not to be left behind because of size nd weight. A's of the moment my Sebenza is always with me along with the 2015 Traditional's forum knife and a Lone Wolf/Loveless City Knife followed by Nathan the Machinist's Osage Drop Point Hunter.

4mmJzZy.jpg

S9o4pqq.jpg

MbPvVwT.jpg

Well, I say get a ZT because you like how it looks, KAI has a warranty that puts many others to shame: They offer blade replacement for cheap, Clips, screws and pivots are sent out for free.

From my experience with ZT they are consistent in producing quality knives, customer service is prompt and polite, and I LOVE the way my 0620cf feels in my hand.

What model are you looking at specifically?

I wouldn't try to convince you to buy anything from anyone. I'm simply too biased in my opinions to make recommendations or to try and steer people away unless I know a really good reason why not to buy a companies product. In the case of ZT I cant think of a legitimate reason based on facts for why you should not give one a go. They are a polarizing company. Some people love to hate them. Others love them. Others hate to love them. If they make something that tickles your fancy at the very least have the solace in knowing they retain their value reasonably well when compared to the majority of brands in their price range in the event the knife isn't for you.

Well, I say get a ZT because you like how it looks, KAI has a warranty that puts many others to shame: They offer blade replacement for cheap, Clips, screws and pivots are sent out for free.

From my experience with ZT they are consistent in producing quality knives, customer service is prompt and polite, and I LOVE the way my 0620cf feels in my hand.

What model are you looking at specifically?

I like the CF models mostly because I like a light knife but I'd like to experience the overbuilt tank of a knife.

PURPLEDC, if I were to start off with one that best represents the brand and what they were when they started out, a historical ZT, not necessarily the very first but the first that mad them a household name, (at least in househo;ds where they talk about knives ;) ) which one would that be?

After having tried a few ZTs I find their ZT0300, ZT0200 and the new ZT0909 knives the ones to keep for my rotation. I will either keep my ZT0452cf or get another ZT0450 for a suit knife. I have tried other knives but find the ZT line to fit my needs and wallet.

I have two ZTs & both have been flawless as far as ease of operation. Fit, finish & quality of materials is excellent. I like a hefty blade, so the Hinderer & Rexford designs on my two suit me fine. I'd say they're easily worth the asking price. The 0562 gets the most pocket time, but the 0801 blackwash definately wins in the cool factor catagory. ZT has plenty of models, but these are the only ones I've ever really been interested in.

The Hinderer-designed 0560/561 is rather iconic when it comes to ZTs. If you really want the overbuilt ZT tank experience, while still buying an aesthetically attractive knife, I'd take a hard look at that model.

Back