Always bet on BLACK....

PeteyTwoPointOne

Platinum Member
BLACK Canvas Micarta! ;)

I really enjoy this handle material, especially the variance between batches plus how each reacts with use. :thumbsup:

I recently scooped a Nuked NanoFuSH from the zmbhntr zmbhntr and was 100% gonna dye her 1968 Elvis Comeback Raven Black :cool:...that is, until I saw her up close and in person.

The contrast between the handles' faces and the spine are STRIKING! Reminds me of an Orca in a way.

Check out the pics of the NanoFuSH vs. my BIGNanoNO:

qi1xWeR.jpg

4MSOnBY.jpg

Further motivated me to post up some of my all different <all BEAUTIFUL> Black Can Mike BUSSE's for the HOGS viewing pleasure :)...

Post em if ya got em ... share the love!

Group shot:

6NEUxMO.jpg

Mistresses:

R8TKEPr.jpg

Oops :oops: almost forgot my beloved Battle Saw:

a12yoYZ.jpg

z6C7TYJ.jpg

The Twins, BTW, the Forsaken One has been dyed:

qVagxMQ.jpg

The latest batch of Black Can. fresh out of Wauseon:

JrhobPw.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Mac, the Maroon Mic and Black Mic are beautiful to us and, better yet, super useful, tough/resistant, and comfy!

Great handle material all around!

and I'm pretty sure the Micarta gets dark like that because the resin + fibers get kinda burnished when the spine gets polished...LOVE IT!

and I'm pretty sure the Micarta gets dark like that because the resin + fibers get kinda burnished when the spine gets polished...LOVE IT!
I have wondered about the dark black on the top/bottom of the newer black canvas micarta. My satin HOG Badger came that way, and I'm not real fond of the look (I do like the blade though).

Thanks for the thread and photos! Both black and tan canvas micarta from Busse has varied a lot over the years, I'm guessing from different lots/manufacturers.

Last edited:
I have wondered about the dark black on the top/bottom of the newer black canvas micarta. My satin HOG Badger came that way, and I'm not real fond of the look (I do like the blade though).

Thanks for the thread and photos! Both black and tan canvas micarta from Busse has varied a lot over the years, I'm guessing from different lots/manufacturers.

You're welcome, my pleasure to share. :)

I believe it's real canvas fabric that's in the Micarta matrix, along with resins, catalyst, etc.

So like any fabric that's dyed, the color can vary widely from lot to lot.

Also the density of the fibers themselves along with weave of each run plays a part in the "looks" of the handle.

Lastly, I've noticed some batches of handles seem to feel more "plasticky" ... which I think happens when there's a larger amount of resin that usual in the recipe, for whatever reason. And some batches feel more "fabricky" and I can actually feel fuzzy threads on the surface of the handles-- I guess because there's a lower resin:fabric ratio happening with that particular run.

But I'm a rank amateur basing my guesses on a few years of molding fiberglass bass boats. We've got some smart guys here on the Busse forum that are experts, like @resinguy who really know what's up.

At any rate I love ALL the flavors of Canvas Mic. and as it's said, "Variety is the spice of life." :)

BLACK Canvas Micarta! ;)

I really enjoy this handle material, especially the variance between batches plus how each reacts with use. :thumbsup:

I recently scooped a Nuked NanoFuSH from the zmbhntr zmbhntr and was 100% gonna dye her 1969 Elvis Comeback Raven Black :cool:...that is, until I saw her up close and in person.

The contrast between the handles' faces and the spine are STRIKING! Reminds me of an Orca in a way.

Check out the pics of the NanoFuSH vs. my BIGNanoNO:

qi1xWeR.jpg

4MSOnBY.jpg

Further motivated me to post up some of my all different <all BEAUTIFUL> Black Can Mike BUSSE's for the HOGS viewing pleasure :)...

Post em if ya got em ... share the love!

Group shot:

6NEUxMO.jpg

Mistresses:

R8TKEPr.jpg

Oops :oops: almost forgot my beloved Battle Saw:

a12yoYZ.jpg

z6C7TYJ.jpg

The Twins, BTW, the Forsaken One has been dyed:

qVagxMQ.jpg

The latest batch of Black Can. fresh out of Wauseon:

JrhobPw.jpg

drools. Black is awesome!

Your entire collection is awesome. Also, your pictures are great. I cannot take good pics, all mine suck, lol

thanks man, but sometimes my pics turn out all shitty and I'm usually too lazy to go back outside and take better ones...

if my composition looks good-- it's the camera, an iPhone 5-- it's got a decent camera on board.

if my pics look bad-- it's cause I'm too damn ignorant on how to use my camera fully and correctly.

Well, I guess I am lazy and ignorant !!!!:D

hahaha...I surely didn't mean to imply that!

I tend to concentrate on macro details that sometimes get overlooked like: textures/colors of the handles, edge bevels, talon holes, pommels, ricassos, flats, INFI dimple patterns, CBT patterns, edge bevels, you know, zen shit. :p

I don't always worry about getting the entire knife in the shot.

My skills are weak, but I appreciate your comments. :)

You are right, natural outside lighting is so much better than internal lights that create reflections.

Many of you have probably experienced this - both the look and feel of canvas micarta can be influenced by oil from your skin (or something like mineral oil intentionally applied to alter the look). The Busse I use the most with canvas micarta is a 1/300 SHBM with smooth grips. Years ago it seemed like the grips were getting slippery, so I soaked it in a solution of Dawn dish detergent and then used a tooth brush with soft bristles to gently scrub the grips. Not only did the cleaning noticeably improve the appearance of the micarta, but it also felt better. Even a Busse knife needs a bath once in a while. ;):D

I just took these inside and they suck

IJjpT6d.jpg

q38Qtpc.jpg

not bad, I think it accomplishes the goal of displaying/comparing the blades...but if you're going for cheesecake shots tangential lighting from fluorescent tubes will reflect off certain parts of the the steel NO MATTER what angle you attack from! And there'll be dark patches mixed in too.

regular bulbs are almost as bad unless you diffuse the light some...

but yup...outside, during the early-ish morning in a shady area works pretty well...weather permitting.

Back