Always bet on BLACK....

Many of you have probably experienced this - both the look and feel of canvas micarta can be influenced by oil from your skin (or something like mineral oil intentionally applied to alter the look). The Busse I use the most with canvas micarta is a 1/300 SHBM with smooth grips. Years ago it seemed like the grips were getting slippery, so I soaked it in a solution of Dawn dish detergent and then used a tooth brush with soft bristles to gently scrub the grips. Not only did the cleaning noticeably improve the appearance of the micarta, but it also felt better. Even a Busse knife needs a bath once in a while. ;):D

yessir, and some HOGS go for patina over feel...kinda like battle scars or badges of honor...reminds me of the MLB ball players who like rosin all over their batting helmets and dirt on their uniforms.

Nothing wrong with that, I like a good hand oil patina on Micarta & leather.

But you are correct, the canvas or linen fibers get more tacky when they're not slick with oil.

Dawn dishsoap is renowned for removing grease. Simple Green works pretty well too.

Cobalt Cobalt , Try using a non-reflective background surface like carpet – it helps with flash photography. I have found that using a flash with a satin blade, it is especially tricky to get a good picture, although it helps to vary the angle of the camera to the knife.

Back