Am I Expecting Too Much?

Sebenza 21 is a nice knife. Nothing is perfect. Nothing.

Spyderco has a Native Chief sprint out. It’s solid as a brick shithouse. No doubt business is different at CRK. They make nice knives. I don’t buy into the lore of old.

If you want close to perfect buy from a local dealer and try before you buy. Tell them your serious and your loyal if they can provide what your looking for.

I’ll say it again....... I’ve had quite a few CRK’s over the years and never ever thought to try and do a table flex on them and see what happened. Everyone of them I owned has been used and sometimes beaten on mercilessly with no issues. The worst being a small inkosi. I’m going to take a wild guess and say that all the ones I have and the current small PJ 21 all had and have the same flex. But what does it really matter. Kind of like a spine whack test. Unless you have side to side play.......I wouldn’t worry about it.

Simple physics dictates that a folder will never give you the rigidity of a fixed blade.

Any folder will eventually "flex" in the manner you tested.

If the knife is not used in the manner tested, I agree with Sharp & Fiery - if there is no flex when used as intended, there is no problem

This is not an accurate test. Any and all framelocks will eventually fail if you push hard enough using this test.
If you open your knife and can make it flex with just your fingers...no table...then there is an issue.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
What he said.

That made me laugh my ass off picturing that.
Agree, this would be a head slap. Never thought someone would think of this test at a shop. I was thinking you could handle the knife like a normal person and pick the best or just pass.

Everyone knows the "lock flex" is a very highly desirable feature. My small 31 has very very minor flex. I think the smalls have less flex than the large because of the shorter lock bar. I do not think the flex has any negative impacts with normal usage, but this knife should have none. I consider the flex in the same category as centered blades. It causes no functional issues, but should not be present on a high quality knife.

This whole placing the knife on the table and pressing down on the spine is not a good way to see if you knife has flex or blade play. I dont know why people got the idea that this was right method.
If your going to be placing pounds of force on the spine of the knife than of course your going to see slight flex.

Everyone knows the "lock flex" is a very highly desirable feature. My small 31 has very very minor flex. I think the smalls have less flex than the large because of the shorter lock bar. I do not think the flex has any negative impacts with normal usage, but this knife should have none. I consider the flex in the same category as centered blades. It causes no functional issues, but should not be present on a high quality knife.

Wow, somebody actually agrees with me.

This whole placing the knife on the table and pressing down on the spine is not a good way to see if you knife has flex or blade play. I dont know why people got the idea that this was right method.
If your going to be placing pounds of force on the spine of the knife than of course your going to see slight flex.

Yes, in theory I agree with you.
BUT, why don't I see flex in any of my other frame lock or liner lock knives when doing the same test?????

I agree with you Lenny, it is a shame this is acceptable these days.

Edit:
I should clarify here, My only concerns with the way things are now is the blade play issue. If I need to whack the spine of a blade I would use a fixed blade.

Last edited:
I agree with you Lenny, it is a shame this is acceptable these days.

Yes it is.
I would return an $80 knife that didn’t have a centered blade, yet people accept vert play and lock bar flex on a $450 knife as normal.
WTF?
I’m thinking long and hard about selling my Sebenza and only sticking with reliable knives like Spydercos and others. Yeah they don’t have aerospace tolerances but neither do they have blade play nor lock bar flex. I just won’t buy another CRK again.

I am thankful for the knives I have that do meet my expectations, (all CRK's) However I don't see myself stepping away from them just yet. I really enjoy these knives, no doubt about it.

Yes it is.
I would return an $80 knife that didn’t have a centered blade, yet people accept vert play and lock bar flex on a $450 knife as normal.
WTF?
I’m thinking long and hard about selling my Sebenza and only sticking with reliable knives like Spydercos and others. Yeah they don’t have aerospace tolerances but neither do they have blade play nor lock bar flex. I just won’t buy another CRK again.
You are entitled to your opinion, but it is none of your business as to what other people find acceptable in a knife. Go buy your other brands, and please, leave us alone.

Yes it is.
WTF?

I doubt you will find many accepting vertical play. Flex is not the same thing. But you can do what you wish as far as selling. People sell knives for numerous dislikes, and if this qualifies as such to you , it may be best to move on. No reason to stick with something you are not happy with.
However it is still a ridiculous test-up there with spine whacking IMO

Last edited:
Back