Am I Expecting Too Much?

Yes it is.
I would return an $80 knife that didn’t have a centered blade, yet people accept vert play and lock bar flex on a $450 knife as normal.
WTF?
I’m thinking long and hard about selling my Sebenza and only sticking with reliable knives like Spydercos and others. Yeah they don’t have aerospace tolerances but neither do they have blade play nor lock bar flex. I just won’t buy another CRK again.

How is your CRK not reliable?

Yes it is.
I would return an $80 knife that didn’t have a centered blade, yet people accept vert play and lock bar flex on a $450 knife as normal.
WTF?
I’m thinking long and hard about selling my Sebenza and only sticking with reliable knives like Spydercos and others. Yeah they don’t have aerospace tolerances but neither do they have blade play nor lock bar flex. I just won’t buy another CRK again.

You will be ok. They will be ok.

Wow. I think a lot of you are totally missing the point.
Whatever.

I'm just curious why you think your knife is not reliable? Are you afraid its going to fail?

Read the entire thread.
Did I ever say my knife isn't reliable?
NO!
As a matter of fact, in my initial post I said; "Neither of these things compromise use of the knife one bit."
Did I say the test I did was an accurate representation of real world use?
NO!
Did I say many of my other frame locks and liner locks which cost a fraction of what a Sebenza cost CAN pass the test?
YES!
What's the problem here?
What are you missing from my statements?
I've been pretty black and white throughout this entire thread.

Read the entire thread.
NO!
As a matter of fact, in my initial post I said; "Neither of these things compromise use of the knife one bit."
NO!
Did I say many of my other frame locks and liner locks which cost a fraction of what a Sebenza cost CAN pass the test?
YES!
What's the problem here?

Hey man, I’m just asking a question. No need to get bent.

Your statement:

“I’m thinking long and hard about selling my Sebenza and only sticking with reliable knives like Spydercos and others. ”

Sure sounds like you strongly and clearly implied the Sebenza was not reliable. Thus, my question. If you think your Sebenza is reliable, which it NOW sounds like you’re saying, great. Disregard my question.

Reliable how? That’s the part that stuck out the most to me. There have been far more inconsistencies, poor tolerances, poor materials, execution, flaws, you name it with Benchmades, Spydercos, Bucks, Emersons, Opinel, Cold Steel, klotzli, Gerber, Kershaw, etc. than with Chris Reeve Knives. In recent years I’d say things have improved for most of the brands I just rattled off and some that I didn’t. I’d say all of them make reliable knives, but duds certainly make there way through. More often for some than CRK.

Read the entire thread.
NO!
NO!
YES!
What's the problem here?

Blade play and lock flex is now a design feature just ask Chris Reeve Knives. Your asking to much that in this forum anyone will say Chris Reeve Knives is wrong.

Are people actually getting blade play on their CRK? I have ten and the only other knife in my entire collection besides them that has absolutely no detectable blade play whatsoever is my Spyderco Brouwer.

Are people actually getting blade play on their CRK? I have ten and the only other knife in my entire collection besides them that has absolutely no detectable blade play whatsoever is my Spyderco Brouwer.

I have owned a fair amount of CRKs and I have never experienced blade play with a CRK. Not on a regular, classic, 21, 25, 31, impinda, inkosi, zaan, tilock, or mnandi.

Have I seen the lock flex phenomenon (which is not blade play), yes. But is is certainly not isolated to the 31 or to sebenza or to CRK.

Back