Am I Expecting Too Much?

I have 10 CRK now and owned and handled 10 times that but never felt any blade play or imperfection in any way in any of those CRK.
Like others mentioned in many other brands,custom,semi,production which I own or handled,I did find many with issues like centering,blade play,rattle etc..
Buy and use knives you like..
Cheers!

Blade play, I've had one regular that had blade play when I got it. CRK finally got her squared away. My other is a Lg31, this one kills me, my first Damascus blade and there is blade play from side to side and up and down. Pivot bushing seems to be on the smaller side is my thinking. Just not sure I can handle the mothership telling me it is fine and within spec's. But man it is a sweet knife for sure!

Blade play, I've had one regular that had blade play when I got it. CRK finally got her squared away. My other is a Lg31, this one kills me, my first Damascus blade and there is blade play from side to side and up and down. Pivot bushing seems to be on the smaller side is my thinking. Just not sure I can handle the mothership telling me it is fine and within spec's. But man it is a sweet knife for sure!

I would give them a detailed explanation of what is happening, when and how. What I believe is happening at CRK, is that they are tired of the complaints about the flex,. If they think that is what your problem is they just dismiss it without putting much time into diagnosis.

I don’t think you are expecting too much at all. When I buy a CRK I expect what they advertise: bank vault lockup. If the blade moves due to “lock flex”, it still moves and I will consider that blade play all day long before I consider it bank vault.

I find it to be a complete joke that the defenders have swallowed the ‘it’s a feature’ line from CRK after years and years of hearing about the tightest tolerances in the business and now it’s “all my CRK’s have lock flex!” Well my umnumzaan doesn’t and if it did it wouldn’t be mine anymore.

At least there are a bunch of people that think it is great so you should have no problem selling it to any of those people!

I don’t think you are expecting too much at all. When I buy a CRK I expect what they advertise: bank vault lockup. If the blade moves due to “lock flex”, it still moves and I will consider that blade play all day long before I consider it bank vault.

I find it to be a complete joke that the defenders have swallowed the ‘it’s a feature’ line from CRK after years and years of hearing about the tightest tolerances in the business and now it’s “all my CRK’s have lock flex!” Well my umnumzaan doesn’t and if it did it wouldn’t be mine anymore.

At least there are a bunch of people that think it is great so you should have no problem selling it to any of those people!

Thank you.
Another person who gets it.
Lenny

I don't own a single CRK knife, no money and hate thumb stubs, but I read through this thread and I see a lot about the lock flex and points to each side of that argument. Many have stated there should be flex particularly with the test method used and the truth is at some point in applied force no matter the maker the lock will flex and we all may have differing opinion on how much force should be required to achieve that. I personally am inclined to agree with those the fixing the knife against a table and pushing down is excessive force and thus a poor test putting the knife and locking mechanism under unnecessary stress which could potentially damage the locking mechanism and create problem. I could see this creating lockstick, lockrock, or bladeplay which are all generally considered issues of a "bad" knife. The other bit I see OP reference is bladeplay however I saw little detail on the severity of it and how it was being tested for so I can't really make much comment on that beyond having seen people applying excessive force and making their own bladeplay is possible and given the excessive testing of the flex I unfortunately can't rule out a similar issue with testing the bladeplay.

People talk about this as if CRK advertises lock flex as a new feature of the 31. Where is that said?

If all of the "feature" nonsense is from that email (in the 70 page dumpster fire), where a CRK customer service staff member used the word one time, then this has really been blown out of proportion.

Back