Amalgam OMG

There are very few sub-$300 Spydies I haven't owned, starting back in the '90s. So I know what to expect most of the time when I have a new model coming to me.

Wow, though. The Amalgam exceeds expectations. I've got a Southard tweaked by the factory, I've got sprint Paras ... I thought I knew smooth. This knife takes it to a new level.

The ergos are perfect, the pebbly CF feels great. I might put a couple of lines of jimping on the flipper and suggest a wire clip instead, but that's just personal preference.

Right now the Millie is the only model where I have to have every sprint variant, but I would do the same for sprint Amalgams. Maybe Maxamet and micarta, or maybe LC200N and Ti with rustproof hardware.

It's on my buy list, hopefully I can pick one up soon. I've never owned a Spyderco flipper.

There are very few sub-$300 Spydies I haven't owned, starting back in the '90s. So I know what to expect most of the time when I have a new model coming to me.

Wow, though. The Amalgam exceeds expectations. I've got a Southard tweaked by the factory, I've got sprint Paras ... I thought I knew smooth. This knife takes it to a new level.

The ergos are perfect, the pebbly CF feels great. I might put a couple of lines of jimping on the flipper and suggest a wire clip instead, but that's just personal preference.

Right now the Millie is the only model where I have to have every sprint variant, but I would do the same for sprint Amalgams. Maybe Maxamet and micarta, or maybe LC200N and Ti with rustproof hardware.

Very underrated knife from Spydero. I'm really hoping for some sprints. G10 or micarta and LC200N would be it for me.

The way it rolls out, it kind of reminds me of the ZT 0804CF. To me, the Amalgam's a must have! Just like all the other Spydies, I have, from Taiwan, it's beautifully made! I wish, though, that Spyderco would use something, besides S30V, in these wonderful pieces, coming out of their Taichung production facility!

I like mine but there's something I like about all of the 125+ Spydercos that I own.

As for the Amalgam specifically, I like the longer blade, the compression lock, the utilitarian blade shap, the smooth action and the bare metal (not black) clip. It's hard to choose any specific Spyderco as my absolute favorite but the Amalgam is certainly among the top 10 or 20 for me.

I love my amalgam. It's my favorite spyderco in my collection. It's large, but light and easy to carry. I would prefer less choil, but I can live with it for the ergos and slicing ability!

Funny it's being compared to an 804cf...i really want to pick one of those up, just haven't found the right price and condition yet. But if it's similar to the amalgam I think I'll enjoy it!

The way it rolls out, it kind of reminds me of the ZT 0804CF. To me, the Amalgam's a must have! Just like all the other Spydies, I have, from Taiwan, it's beautifully made! I wish, though, that Spyderco would use something, besides S30V, in these wonderful pieces, coming out of their Taichung production facility!

Funny it's being compared to an 804cf...i really want to pick one of those up, just haven't found the right price and condition yet. But if it's similar to the amalgam I think I'll enjoy it!

I've got a ZT0804CF and IMO it's nothing like the Amalgam and doesn't even remind me of one.

Another apples & oranges comparison but, if you own both, as I do, it's not a comparison that you'd need to worry about.

Back