Amazing antique knives, swords, daggers - pics

Beautiful and unusual stuff. I especially like the snake sword. Toledo, Spain 1846.

https://twtext.com/article/1253067756964139018

the one that really caught my eye was the 2600 year old celtic bronze sword --- stunning & looks perfect, I am going to have to make one like this

EWPMvVsXYAQ583R.jpg

This is beyond antique; King Tuts Dagger if thats not amazing enough its made from a meteorite
I think there were actually two of these, the other had a rock crystal handle or pommel or something. I'm pretty sure this is the one that inspired the Warenski masterpiece however.

Yes there is 2 of them ;its rare enough just to find a meteorite,but to make a knife out of it, that is just above and beyond considering how long ago it was made.This is a holy grail for sure.

The other thing that occurs to me is that most of these were made completely without power tools or certainly electrically powered tools. Amazing what they could do when materials were expensive and labor was cheap. In today's custom market it's exactly the opposite situation.

The other thing that occurs to me is that most of these were made completely without power tools or certainly electrically powered tools. Amazing what they could do when materials were expensive and labor was cheap. In today's custom market it's exactly the opposite situation.

I doubt the labor was cheap. These items were made for the privileged, and the better ones for highly ranking nobility. If you are willing and able to hire skilled artisans to spend hundreds or thousands of hours on something , your results would be just as impressive. Money talks then and now. If you get the chance, visit a showcase location for one of the high end jewelers, like Harry Winston, and take a close look at what a $2-3 million dollar piece looks like in person. Our knives can be just as impressive if we were to spend that kind of money on them.

n2s

Last edited:

I doubt the labor was cheap. These items were made for the privileged, and the better ones for highly ranking nobility. If you are willing and able to hire skilled artisans to spend hundreds or thousands of hours on something , your results would be just as impressive. Money talks then and now. If you get the chance, visit a showcase location for one of the high end jewelers, like Harry Winston, and take a close look at what a $2-3 million dollar piece looks like in person. Our knives can be just as impressive if we were to spend that kind of money on them.

n2s

I'll have to think about that some more. On the one hand materials were way more expensive then now, it's why your average person had wooden implements to do their peasanting, they might have metal or with metal edges if they were lucky. On the other hand true artisans enjoyed the patronage of a wealthy client. Paying for someone's maintenance as you say wasn't cheap I guess. On the other, other hand that was only for your top artisans, most of your labor wasn't by those guys. Hmm more research...

Back