• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Amazon Product Reviews

I just wrote my first negative Amazon product review for an iPod able that never arrived after an almost 2 month wait.

This review was denied to be published. I have at least a half dozen positive Amazon product reviews that were published.

Now, maybe it's because I never actually received the product that they wouldn't put the review online. But, in my opinion, paying money for a product that never even comes is even worst than paying money for something that is cheap, breaks, or is inaccurately described. Certainly if there were an online knife dealer that took your credit card info but never shipped a product out, I would want to know about it.

Has anyone else had any experience with Amazon's reviews? I have to wonder the same thing about other site's reviews like Yelp!, Cabela's, Best Buy, Cheaper Than Dirt, MidwayUSA, etc. I know one buddy did a negative review of an item at Cheaper Than Dirt that disappeared. I'm sure the temptation to favor glowing, 5 star reviews of their inventories to up sales is great.

Last edited:
A complaint that a product didn't arrive is not a product review but rather a review of the seller. That's not what Amazon wants under product reviews...

Agree with above poster. I am a Vine reviewer and have learned that the reviews are of actual products, not the mailing service. Unfortunate, but there it is. I certainly sympathize with the OP on this, and would file a complaint with Amazon. They have been responsive in my various problems.

I post negative reviews all the time on Amazon and they are published every time without fail. Just be sure to actually review the product and not complain about the ordering or shipping processes, which are outside the scope of what a "review" should contain.

A complaint that a product didn't arrive is not a product review but rather a review of the seller. That's not what Amazon wants under product reviews...

:thumbup: Exactly.

You can be as negative as you like about a product.

I've had that happen on Amazon. Left feedback for one of their sellers that sent me a counterfeit Lowe Pro camera bag. After Lowe HQ confirmed it was a bogus bag and replaced it (hat tip to them for great service) I left a scathing review. Lasted on the vendor's profile for several days, impacted their 4.9 out of 5 rating, and then disappeared completely with their rating going back up. I'm an Amazon fan but that did piss me off and makes me take their ratings with a major grain of salt.

I've left negative feedack for a product I never purchased and it was published.

It was for a 10 gauge extension cord which I had intended on buying. The problem was that the picture was completely different from the description. I contacted Amazon both via email and a telephone call before posting the one star feedback and even today after six months they have never fixed it. I felt that nobody should buy unless they actually knew what they would be receiving.

Back