Ameribrade vs reeder

So I'm new to knife making and I wanted to get a better grinder than the one I built. The one I built works just pretty limited. I'm wanting to go with either the ameribrade or reeder. I really like the reeder just concerned about how it mounts to a 4x4 and a 1/2 a table. Just doesn't like it would last or be very stable. The only concern with the ameribrade is that it's pretty pricy for square tubing. I'm wanting to stay in the 600.00 range those two stood out the most to me. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I've not used or seen either grinder, but have built a couple I really like. From what I see, I think the basic Reeder package for $500 looks darn good. I like the looks of it a good bit better than the Ameribrade grinder - I like the aluminum frame (some folks say they don't like aluminum). For $500, then add a $200 2hp motor, and a $120 VFD which will be NEMA 1 requiring mounting in a box OR as I do install a filter over the air inlets. Less than a $1,000 you've got a good looking grinder package.

I've not used or seen either grinder, but have built a couple I really like. From what I see, I think the basic Reeder package for $500 looks darn good. I like the looks of it a good bit better than the Ameribrade grinder - I like the aluminum frame (some folks say they don't like aluminum). For $500, then add a $200 2hp motor, and a $120 VFD which will be NEMA 1 requiring mounting in a box OR as I do install a filter over the air inlets. Less than a $1,000 you've got a good looking grinder package.

I've got a 2hp tefclesson I found on amazon for 100.00. But do want a vfd. Where do y'all get that set up from? I really like the reeder as well it's just how it mounts is what I don't like. Just doesn't seem very secure. I'm very rough on all my tools.

You got a good deal on the mtor - that is a 3 ph TEFC Lesson motor? Got to be 3 ph for VFD..... well, there are 1 ph VFD but they will cost LOTS of money and don't work as well.

Here is a 2 hp VFD for $85 shipped: https://www.ebay.com/itm/361155386082? I'm not familiar with this drive, but suspect it's about the same as most Chinese drives.

Here's a 3 hp VFD (looks like the one I have) for $106 shipped: https://www.ebay.com/itm/173185350215? Or this one for $97 shipped which I'm sure is the same VFD I've been using for the last couple of yrs: https://www.ebay.com/itm/162725296288?

Here's a good video showing the Reeder grinder:

The mounting system would be the least of my worries - it's plenty strong enough. You just need a good table, and with that system you've got a grinder that will go horizontal which is VERY nice. I've been impressed enough with the grinder (from watching the video) I'd like to have one.... but I've got a grinder I'm very happy with.

I would LOVE to hear from other folks with comments on the Reeder, and perhaps somebody who has one, or used one. I really like the extra stiff tension arm he's got.

I've been using a reeder for a while now and like it a lot. Nothing to compare it to, as I've not used any other grinder. I pretty much copied the mounting setup they use and it's solid as can be. I wouldn't worry about that. I bought the knife sharpening attachment and it's not very good. Would avoid that if I was buying again. Small wheel attachment works great. PM me if I can help.

I’m not a big fan of Aluminum grinders. Now I will say I have never used one but I know how Aluminum wears over time and especially with moving parts in a gritty environment. Not for me thanks. But if your just a hobbyists making a few blades here and there then it would most likely hold up. I use my grinder a TON and over the many many years it’s getting warn. I’m considering adding another if not two grinders to the bench. Would like to get my hands on a TW-90 for at least one of them.

JT, the parts of the grinder that actually wear - threads, etc are made from steel (so the video says, but I do NOT know for sure). I've put helicoil inserts in my aluminum frames to solve the problem. I LOVE the aluminum because it's strong and a good bit lighter than the steel version would be. Since I move my grinder from time to time the less weight really helps.

Last edited:
Ever heard of saberosg,the osg stands for open source grinder..they have free cad files for a grinder that flips horizontal,just send them to a machine shop,get it water cut out,tap your holes,bolt everything together and you'll have a mild steel frame that flips for under $500..that's what I'ma do

I own an ameribrade grinder, the quality of the machine is excellent. I'm a CNC programmer and machinist, and I feel that the machine is industrial quality. The welds on my machine where well done, and all of the aluminum turning work was of professional quality. I can run my machine full speed when it's not even bolted down and balance a quarter on the tooling arm. Also I've spoke with one of the owners Kevin multiple times and he's taken care of me, so far from my experience with them I would recommend them to anyone looking for an affordable quality machine without all of the extra fluff.

I’m not a big fan of Aluminum grinders. Now I will say I have never used one but I know how Aluminum wears over time and especially with moving parts in a gritty environment. Not for me thanks. But if your just a hobbyists making a few blades here and there then it would most likely hold up. I use my grinder a TON and over the many many years it’s getting warn. I’m considering adding another if not two grinders to the bench. Would like to get my hands on a TW-90 for at least one of them.
Bader BIII is aluminum. Have two that are over 20 years old full time use and not much wear.
I'm also not a hobbyist. ;)

I will be getting a TW-90 this year.

I've used 6061-T6 aluminum in the past on some manual and pneumatic part fixtures for CNC milling machines. We would run thousands of parts daily in a environment that is subjected to metal chips and coolant. I rarely had a problem with wear besides threaded holes, which I would use threaded inserts / heli-coils anyway.

I’ve used the ameribrade and was incredibly impressed. Solid, no vibration or flex, well designed. Little different then the kmg/bader clones we are used to, but well thought out machine. Their work rest is great and their tracking arm hinge catch is genius.

Reeder looks well thought out.

I’ve used all alum grinders in the past and never worn a single part out.

Thanks for all the replys. I ended up going with reeder and at first I was pretty impressed. Then put it together and that completely changed. Very bad belt flap between tracking and drive wheel. Definitely couldn't balance a quarter like ameribrade. Belt sway on platen is pretty bad. My homemade grinder i built not knowing anything about them is better. The machining was very good till you look closely. Almost looks like it was rushed through. It'll be on Craigslist before the weeks out probably and I'll do what I should have done and bought the ameribrade. I personally wouldn't recommend it if anyone else is looking for one.

Also it's a pain in the butt to get lined up correctly. Per their instructions the belt is about 1/2-1 inch off.

Dang! :(

I've been very happy with my AmeriBrade. It's a solid workhorse, and Keven and Eric are good guys to work with. They listen to customer feedback and make changes as need be (a higher clearance platen chassis based on my comments to them), and are expanding the available options. Only recommendation I would make is that if you are buying one of the motor packages and can do so, get it wired for 220 to avoid dropping any HP with a 110 wiring. It's the same price.

im gonna be ordering an ameribrade real soon. The reeder is for sale if anyone in the Jackson ms area wants it. I thought I would like the horizontal feature but think I should have gone with the ab. The reeders put some thought and work into it I just think it could be better. Just my opinion or maybe just me. Make me an offer reeder 101. Will sell motor and wheels with it for right price. Lesson 1.5 hp 110 or 2hp 220. Wired for 110. 2 sets of indexing handles. Lol not really a good sale pitch.

Darn, sorry to hear your Reeder grinder isn't any good. As mentioned before, I've never seen one, but they sure look good. The basic design looks good, interesting it doesn't work for you. I sure wish I was a bit closer to Jackson, MS (I'm across the bay from Mobile, AL) I'd sure LOVE to ride by and check out the grinder.

Ken H>

Just got off phone with Mr. Don from reeder and he said he's pretty sure it's the wheels. Unfortunately it's already boxed up. But I do have to say that their customer service is pretty dam@ good. He offered for me to do whatever I wanted to do. Send back or keep and he will walk me through it. I think had I bought an entire machine my thoughts would have been different.

Just a follow up. Got the ameribrade in yesterday and set up and running. May not be the fanciest but definitely worth every penny. Tracking is perfect. No vibration. No floppy belt. Built like a tank. Only issue was a pin that holds the tension knob on fell out from shipping. No big deal. I'm a very critical buyer and must say I'm completely happy with my purchase.

Just a follow up. Got the ameribrade in yesterday and set up and running. May not be the fanciest but definitely worth every penny. Tracking is perfect. No vibration. No floppy belt. Built like a tank. Only issue was a pin that holds the tension knob on fell out from shipping. No big deal. I'm a very critical buyer and must say I'm completely happy with my purchase.

Great to know. Thanks for the info

Back