America has been good to me this year!

Deal of the century, or Rip off?

• Total voters
I mean I could say the same thing about the classic L21 Sebenza but look at how many people look that knife (myself included). At least this has some milling in the scales?

Though I wish the blade didn’t have that “greyish” hue to it. I’d much prefer a nice stone wash like the CRK
If you like it then you like it. Like I said , it's your money. All depends on what makes you happy.

But I can't help but think what else you could get for $550.

It's pretty boring but it's not the most boring thing I've ever seen. There're some titanium-handled, frame lock production and "midtech" knives that are even more plain. This one is pretty elegant, all things considered, and Shiros have a good reputation for their action.

Still, this is too pricey for me. I've spent more than $550 for a knife but not for a titanium-handled frame lock. If this was another $200 cheaper I'd be all over it, just to see if the action was all that people crack it up to be.

You think even with it being Elmax? I know on the site the steel has nothing to do with value but that doesn’t seem true on the secondary market. Not to say I’m going to sell it, just curious.
The steel is irrelevant to what marcinek and I are saying. It won't be a good deal when the ti frame lock bubble bursts, and even more so because shiros are on the more expensive end. The prices are artificialy inflated. What happened to hinderer prices is an example of a similar situation but specific to one manufacturer.

I think the scarcity of Shiro's will keep the price up there enough even if the frame lock flipper thing ends. I wasn't around for the floor falling out on Hinderers but if my reading about it is correct he increased production and opened his stuff up beyond everyone and that is what caused the floor to fall.

I think the scarcity of Shiro's will keep the price up there enough even if the frame lock flipper thing ends. I wasn't around for the floor falling out on Hinderers but if my reading about it is correct he increased production and opened his stuff up beyond everyone and that is what caused the floor to fall.
That was the case. A similar thing could happen to shiros or the popularity could decrease. Either of those would make this not a good deal.

That was the case. A similar thing could happen to shiros or the popularity could decrease. Either of those would make this not a good deal.
Also, basing price on rarity is always a dangerous game. I mean, other companies are making a similar product for 1/3 the cost that have held there value. Zt for example.

If they remain a small maker then the market won't be flooded and access will still be restricted. I read a thread over in the CRK forum that they made something like 12,000 knives last year I'll but fewer than half of that makes it over here from our friends in Russia. I think Shiros at Sebenza prices are probably OK Shiros at Rockstead prices not so much.

If they remain a small maker then the market won't be flooded and access will still be restricted. I read a thread over in the CRK forum that they made something like 12,000 knives last year I'll but fewer than half of that makes it over here from our friends in Russia. I think Shiros at Sebenza prices are probably OK Shiros at Rockstead prices not so much.
Agreed. CRK prices are justifiable but from my perspective Shiros are not which to me makes them a risk in an unpredictable market.

Agreed. CRK prices are justifiable but from my perspective Shiros are not which to me makes them a risk in an unpredictable market.
I guess to me..I wasn’t buying the knife with intentions to make money or lose money, I’m simple buying a Shiro because ..well..it seems like everyone should at least experience it once. Like many others have stated, the action is apparently on par with the Norseman brothers. That alone was a nice selling point for me. Another plus is I ended up buying a Shiro in a steel I’ve never used in the real world nor have I had a chance to sharpen Elmax (even though it’s composition seems almost identical to M390) but ..this was a win-win for me.

GermanyChris GermanyChris I hope your correct I spoke to the dealer I bought it from earlier and they said the Shiro brothers only sends them no more than 10 knives at a time. Let’s hope they stay small for everyone’s sake in this case.

Sorry for the double post but if I’m not mistaken didn’t Rick Hinderer end up taking on employees and expanding the company to match the demand that was needed? Much like the Norseman brothers? I can see what your saying but I hope things are much much different over in Russia. Plus I think it’s cool to own something that’s straight from a little forge in a different part of the world craytab craytab

If you are buying a knife as an investment, you are probably making a mistake.

If you are buying a knife as a toy, tool, or hobby. You are probably less likely to be disappointed.

Sorry for the double post but if I’m not mistaken didn’t Rick Hinderer end up taking on employees and expanding the company to match the demand that was needed? Much like the Norseman brothers? I can see what your saying but I hope things are much much different over in Russia. Plus I think it’s cool to own something that’s straight from a little forge in a different part of the world craytab craytab
It wasn't just growing to meet demand, he was also only selling to first responders, so in this sense it was rare and exclusive much like shiro. Prices dropped considerably when he started selling to everyone, at least this is how I remember it.

The problem with shiro for me is the high cost is driven by exclusivity, not materials, or quality, or anything physically real. If you don't care about exclusivity or that exclusivity goes away, the price is not worth it.

If you are buying a knife as an investment, you are probably making a mistake.

If you are buying a knife as a toy, tool, or hobby. You are probably less likely to be disappointed.
Trust me I’m not I know plenty of people who would buy this knife and use it to cut nothing more than some tape. It’s going to get used but obviously not abused. Whether the price goes up or down makes no difference to me as this is not an issue, it’s more like the icing on the cake at this point.

Hell I’ve got the BBS PM2 in M390. Did that sit in the drawer? Nope! I think that PM2 has seen more action than my CRK, and that’s a 1 of 1600(?) *cant find an accurate # produced*

I guess apart from liking quality gear I also enjoy knowing it has an “exclusive” value as well? I’m sure many could relate?

I guess apart from liking quality gear I also enjoy knowing it has an “exclusive” value as well?

In that case, buy this;:cool:

o7Q2Ca5.png

I also enjoy knowing it has an “exclusive” value as well? I’m sure many could relate?
And that value has a cost to it in this case. You are paying more just to own something exclusive. And in my eyes that cost is $200-$300. For me, that is too much cost for exclusivity. I can get similar build and materials elsewhere with out the extra $250 exclusivity cost.

But if that cost is worth it to you then you probably feel you got a good deal. Just know that a lot of other people won't feel the same way. But that shouldn't matter to you if you are happy.

Last edited:
Trust me I’m not I know plenty of people who would buy this knife and use it to cut nothing more than some tape. It’s going to get used but obviously not abused. Whether the price goes up or down makes no difference to me as this is not an issue, it’s more like the icing on the cake at this point.

Hell I’ve got the BBS PM2 in M390. Did that sit in the drawer? Nope! I think that PM2 has seen more action than my CRK, and that’s a 1 of 1600(?) *cant find an accurate # produced*

I guess apart from liking quality gear I also enjoy knowing it has an “exclusive” value as well? I’m sure many could relate?

Dude, I can relate.
Enjoy your new knife.
Congratulations on having a good year.

You think even with it being Elmax? I know on the site the steel has nothing to do with value but that doesn’t seem true on the secondary market. Not to say I’m going to sell it, just curious.

Ask Hinderer guys about bubbles bursting, I think there's a lesson in there somewhere.

Edit: With the lesson being that I should read the second page before commenting!

Also, basing price on rarity is always a dangerous game. I mean, other companies are making a similar product for 1/3 the cost that have held there value. Zt for example.

Agreed.

In that case, buy this;:cool:

o7Q2Ca5.png
Those blades looks very well made but sadly I’m not a fixed guy. I tried with a G3 and I ended up shipping it 3 states north!
And that value has a cost to it in this case. You are paying more just to own something exclusive. And in my eyes that cost is $200-$300. For me, that is too much cost for exclusivity. I can get similar build and materials elsewhere with out the extra $250 exclusivity cost.

But if that cost is worth it to you then you probably feel you got a good deal. Just know that a lot of other people won't feel the same way. But that shouldn't matter to you if you are happy.
No argument there my man. Hell.. I hear WE Knives are crazy good I terms of fit and finish.
Ask Hinderer guys about bubbles bursting, I think there's a lesson in there somewhere.

Edit: With the lesson being that I should read the second page before commenting!
Luckily I bought my Hinderer on the secondary market after the bubble so if I ever decide to sell, I doubt I’ll take a big hit.

Back