• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

American Tanto, Z Wear Hunter, A2 Hunter (all sold)

Hey guys! I have another Tanto to offer this week! When Cold Steel first came out with their "American Tanto", I fell in love with the shape. It is a wicked cool looking blade. They sent out DVDs (back in the days prior to social media) that showed their Tanto piercing car hoods and doors. As a kid I thought, "Wow that is tough, and you never know when you need to stab a car!" Maybe Forged in Fire should take a lesson from Lynn and start "testing" knives on auto parts! ;) While the profile of this knife is almost identical to the "Kobun", the edge geometry definitely is not.

This knife is made from 1/8" 80CrV2, an extremely tough and well rounded steel that is used in everything from kitchen knives to swords. It has excellent properties for high toughness and excellent edge stability. It is also called 1080+, and I often refer to it as 1080CroVan, because that is essentially what it is. A 1080 high carbon steel that has chromium to increase toughness as well as vanadium, which refines the grain structure which also increases toughness. 80CrV2 is one of the most popular high carbon steels being used by makers, and for good reason. The heat treatment given to this knife (and all my knives) is among the best. It consists of normalizing, thermal cycling, DET anneal, soak at precise temperature prior to fast oil quench, sub zero "cryo" treatment and triple tempers for a final hardness of 62-63HRC. The grind is a full flat grind down to a thin edge. The blade has been hand polished to a satin finish. The guard is made from black g10 with red/white/blue patriotic liners. The "coke bottle shaped" handle also is black g10, held by a black micarta pin. The knife is very very light and well balanced.

OAL: 10"
Blade: 5 1/2"
Handle: 4 3/8" (guard is roughly 1/8")
Steel: 80CrV2 62-63HRC
Thickness: 0.110"
Handle and guard: G10
Edge: 13° per side, 6 micron

KAkgzbG.jpg

5l8kvMu.jpg

Asking price for this patriotic American Tanto is only SOLD and includes a custom made kydex sheath and free shipping anywhere in the USA. Paypal preferred (samuraistuart@yahoo.com). All of my knives come with a life time "write your own" warranty. Thanks for taking a look and follow me on Instagram: stuartalandavenport
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 2nd knife is a hunter in Z Wear PM steel. The steel is very similar to CPM3V but has 1.15% carbon instead of 0.8%. This gives it a higher overall carbide % which boosts the overall wear resistance and edge retention, but with comparable toughness. It has about the same amount of wear resistance as D2 at a given hardness, but does so with vanadium carbide instead of softer chromium carbide. I LOVE this steel. You can take the edge geometry down very very thin, and I did exactly that with this knife. The grind is a full flat grind with thin stock (0.082") down to a thin edge of 0.005" prior to sharpening. It has a nice distal taper towards the tip and holds up very well in testing. The handle is a nicely figured piece of Claro Walnut secured to the tang with micarta pins and an aluminum lanyard tube that goes through the tang. Very light weight and well balanced. I had plans on keeping this one for this year's deer season to do more work/testing, but I found a piece of CPM10V just big enough to make a hunter, and I'll make myself a hunting knife from it, if I get the time! If you're looking for a hunting knife with a steel that is, shall we say, a step above, you've hit the jackpot! (heat treatment included "cryo" quench, and triple tempers in the low range).

OAL: 7 3/4"
Blade: 3 1/2"
Handle: 4 1/4"
Thickness: 0.082", taper to tip
Steel: Z Wear PM (particle metallurgy), 63HRC
Handle: Claro Walnut
Edge: 11° per side, 6 micron

NFGugKH.jpg

vZ6d0G0.jpg

Asking price is only SOLD. This is a great value for the steel, the heat treatment, the overall geometry, the hand rubbed blade finish and handle finish, and let's face it...the name on the blade! LOL! Includes a custom made kydex sheath and free shipping anywhere in the USA. Paypal preferred (samuraistuart@yahoo.com). All of my knives come with a life time, write your own warranty! Thanks for taking a look, and follow me on Instagram: stuartalandavenport
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

3rd knife (Repost and Price Drop)

K tip hidden tang hunting knife in thin stock A2 tool steel. I really like A2 for it's balance of toughness and wear resistance which gives excellent edge retention. I think A2 is one of the most well rounded knife steels out there. After "cryo" and triple tempers, the hardness on this blade is 63HRC. The blade has a full flat grind terminating in a thin edge profile and a hand rubbed satin finish. The guard is made of brass stock and the handle is a nicely figured piece of Claro Walnut that has been sculpted to fit the hand very comfortably and oiled and waxed for protection. This little guy is very light and fast, very well suited for game processing and even kitchen duty. One gentleman asked about how well it might be suited to a neck knife, and I think it is a little on the large size, but it is very very light. I love playing with this thing...it just feels good in the hand.

OAL: 8 1/2"
Blade: 4"
Handle: 4 1/2"
Thickness: 0.090" taper to tip
Steel: Bohler A2 tool steel, 63HRC with "cryo"
Handle: Claro Walnut
Edge: 13° per side, 6 micron

pVcnmNk.jpg

Xn3B1A1.jpg

Yours for only SOLD This includes a custom made kydex sheath as well as free shipping anywhere in the USA! Paypal preferred (samuraistuart@yahoo.com). All my knives come with an unlimited lifetime warranty. Thank you for taking a look! Follow me on Instagram: stuartalandavenport

Last edited:
The Tanto and the Z Wear Hunter are sold. Paypal for both was received by Jason (Tanto) and by Matthew (Z Wear). The A2 Hunter is still available!!!

Stuart,
I will take the A2 hunter. Funds sent! Thanks, Steve

Last edited:
I received the Z-Wear today after some delays and mishaps with USPS. I absolutely love this knife. Flawless and well-proportioned for the intended use. Perfect execution of Z-Wear toughness and wear-resistance qualities resulting in a thin, light and super-slicey blade that I can actually use to perform tasks that my other custom and production blades can't. This is a new favorite.

Stuart, thank you, and very well done!

Back