Americas New Military Rifle Kicks Ass.

the New XM8 Assault Rifle System.
Me LIKEE!
xm8-ar.jpg

xm8.jpg

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as61-e.htm

This is a real weapon, folks. One cannot help but be reminded of the M-41A Pulse Rifle used by the Colonial Marines in Aliens 2.
m41model07.jpg

Kinda looks inspired by the HK G11 who is it made by?

edit - sorry I didn't see the link it IS an HK!

Love the bull pup design of the new rifle. When are we going to caseless ammo? Could carry so much more.

I like bull pup too but thats not bull pup, the magazine isn't behind the grip. I imagine the military would be reluclant to use a bull pup design because left handed people couldn't use it, as shells would get ejected right in your cheek. Which brings us back to your idea of why caseless ammo would be so great....

H&K developed it, nice to know we don't have any companies capable to
doing that anymore , I would have loved to have a chance at that. That would be the design job I would love to get my hands on. Heck , I might even look forward to work....

They do look similar, I wonder if the is another case of sci fi , helping the creation of new technology alond the way. The carrring handle looks a little bit delicate, and that barrel shroud is a bit confusing as well. If it's plastic it won't conduct enough heat, but it will be easier to manufacture . If it's metal it will cost a fortune, it will have a chance of conducting the heat from the barrel, those irregugular biocompatable shapes are hard to manufacture in metal.

I will believe the caseless theme when I see it , the military has been after that for years without sucess( I guess late 70's at least). Semi caseless
round may have possiblities, but it will also share some of the major problems encourtered with the caseless rounds, which is maintaining intregity feeding and extraction of the primer from the mechanism. I would like to see the chamber/ case design. The extraction system would be interesting to look at as well, the case has to be big enough to grab a hold of mechanically to extract reliably. It also is gass operated with a rotating piston, I wonder if is the same as the m16,which blows the exhaust gass right into the bolt? I have always thought that a bad idea from a maintainace standpoint, but it does save some weight.

Also I think making a service rifle and the sniper rifle the same design rather poor, sounds like something some industrial designer just out of school would propose (looks good on paper till you dig a little deeper), yet it is ever so popular. The sniper rifle require much better fit, which requires more care in manufacture/maintanance. A service rifle needs to operate in adverse conditions, Kind of like designing a jeep to run the indy 500, no matter how you sort the compromises, your not going to qualify........ Or an indy car to off road in, might work for a while but not too long.

I just want to take one apart......

Dude!:) I don't know squat about assult rifles, but i am a huge sci-fi/horror fan. Those things really do look like the rifles the Colonial Marines carried. They even have the dig. read out. does it have a flame thrower;)?

Jake

edit- does not have a dig readout. hadn't put in my contacts and thought a shadow was the counter. Never try to look at pictures when you can't see, boys and girls.

BruiseLeee said:
My country is considering getting steel tips for our arrows.

Bruise,

Is that why you were asking about a dishing stump earlier? Thats keeping ahead of the curve on the arms race!

45-70 said:
Is that why you were asking about a dishing stump earlier? Thats keeping ahead of the curve on the arms race!

:D

That new rifle looks kinda bulky though. They should make it more compact so the average soldier can carry more arrows. :rolleyes:

The only weapon the army has ever tested that has managed to melt the trunion out of the gun from sustained automatic fire. :(

I'll stick with guns made from metal and wood myself.

WOuldn't mind seeing the 6.8 SPC round adopted for the M16 though.

I like HK and it certainly is "cool looking" but I think their plastic rifles are less "robust" than their proven G3 platform. A lot of complaints about the Stoner system are because they keep using lighter rounds, shorter barrels, etc.

Don't get me wrong. I like AR's and Glock, but I like wood and steel better. AK's, Mausers, Hi-Power's, and 1911's, are whats cool to me.

This cartridge proved itself marginal in Afghanistan and Iraq, but think of the integrity it would take to dump it and select a round that is suitable for anything but short range. At least they can be used to prevent the snipers (equipped with .308 or .50) from being overrun.

Next, we can discuss 9mm vs. .45. :D

WHY IN HECK ARE GIVING THE GERMANS THE CONTRACT?
Sturm Ruger is ahead of most of the world in some aspects of metalurgical research- yet we go HK.

The cartridge is little wider, a little heavier for better terminal ballistics. Why they didn't go 6mm is a question- it is their own proprietary diameter, I don't recall what it is.

First Berretta, now HK. You can bet neither the Germans or Italians pick American arms.

If we'd given the contract to Ruger, within a year of the last trials, they made a weapon that would outlive the 1911. But the Berreta's can break.

munk

Good points, Monk. What if the Green's tell their captive PM that they are so upset with something we are doing that the flow of rifles and/or components has to stop? Or will they be built from scratch in the U.S.?

As for the .223 round, IIRC they were hauling M-14's out of storage for use in Afghanistan. Great for Whistle Pigs however.

AND the 1911 is issue for some units.

I wasn't involved in the shooting sports during the 60's, but once I was, it took only a superficial understanding of ballistics to know we should have gone to 6mm or therabouts if we were going to change from the .308

You don't have to ask yourself why can so many dumb things happen, because you know you're occasionally just as wrong headed. Still, when you think of a group of men at some meeting deciding the fate of the .223, you have to wonder that so many accepted the small round.

munk

munk said:
WHY IN HECK ARE GIVING THE GERMANS THE CONTRACT?
Sturm Ruger is ahead of most of the world in some aspects of metalurgical research- yet we go HK.

The cartridge is little wider, a little heavier for better terminal ballistics. Why they didn't go 6mm is a question- it is their own proprietary diameter, I don't recall what it is.

First Berretta, now HK. You can bet neither the Germans or Italians pick American arms.

If we'd given the contract to Ruger, within a year of the last trials, they made a weapon that would outlive the 1911. But the Berreta's can break.

munk

The Beretta was picked for two reasons, we had bases in Italy that it was felt were neccessary to keep , quid pro quo. The military was forced to go to a 9mm, so that we could be inspec with NATO. Even though aren't we most of nato?

I wouldn't be surprised if the same things were going on with HK, although they have a factory here in the states producing weapons. I thought I'd read that they had a small M-16 contract, and were currently the replacement part manufacturer, but I do tend to hallucinate.

Plus you have to recall that the .223 was adopted when we were getting involved in some asian country or another. From the vets I've spoken to, a long shot was 150 yards, and one of them was very happy to get an M-16 on a second tour, he said his was fine as long as it was clean. Please lets not get into the trials of the early '16's. Lighter ammo means more ammo, and the tactics of the day were spray and pray. Something about creating a volume of fire to produce kill zones.

I Like FALS and AK's.

Back