Amsterdam Meet 2011 Report

Some very nice designs. I sure hope I'll be able to pick up carpenter, techno and a few other blades. Phil's South Fork is super, even though I have quite a few of his knives, I'll definitely pick that one up.
Navaja and couple others look very nice, but liner lock is a deal breaker for me.

Aw man! I want the Navajah so badly! When will be be out for sales?? I wonder if the gear that produces the caracca affects the smoothness of the blade opening.
I'm sure it does. I'm also sure it's a lot smoother than a "real" Navaja's carraca.

The enormous and impressive Szabo Folder by Laci Szabo and Spyderco, presened by Eric Glesser. Probably Spyderco's firs 'real' Megafolder. The edge might be 4 inch long, but in the hand you easily think you're handling a 5 inch folder.

[youtube]dnOBApMsXKU&hd=1[/youtube]

Note: Eric corrects himself in the video, but to make it clear - this prototype has a CPM S30V blade not a VG-10 blade.

The Techno is a little tank-like folder reminiscent of the Leafstorm. Just because the folder is short, is no reason for it not to be built like a tank. The ergos were nice. I do hope the production model will have a polished blade, rather than the bead blasted blade on this prototype. I’d also prefer a tip-up option for the clip.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_techno.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_techno_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_techno_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2011_prototype_techno_lock.jpg

I want this knife.....NOW!

Compression lock self close thinghy on the Szabo Folder = WIN !

I have wished for such a feature for years !

1234,,,:)

Compression lock self close thinghy on the Szabo Folder = WIN !

I have wished for such a feature for years !

1234,,,:)

Agreed! It's a great design! :thumbup:

Can't wait to get it in hand. :D

Is the Szabo designed for a particular school of MBC? If so, what?

Sal & Eric have mentioned that this design complement Laci's 'personal style of MBC which often involves reverse grips and trapping techniques'. This led the design team to focus more than usual on the locking system. I'm paraphrasing from memory though. Perhaps you can ask the men himself via szaboinc.com.

The Valloton folder is beautiful, but the end of the liner lock is sticking too far out of the handle, it kinda spoils the outline of the handle. I hope Spyderco fixes it before final production.

Thanks for the excellent videos and pictures, Mr. Blond, please keep them coming.

Last edited:
I don't know why I just found this thread, but I am STUPIFIED at all the new designs! I don't even know what to say!

I think I have settled on wanting:

1. navaja
2. tuff
3. lionSpy
4. ti milli
5. ti native

you know, just a few....

Back