Amsterdam Meet 2012 Report

I wish it'll have full serrations too. I'm leaning more towards the full size Matriarch though. I also hope they will put proper serrations on the Pygmy Warrior.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the updates! I'm most likely getting a few of these knives.

Has anyone heard anything about the release date for the Meerkat? All I've heard is "expected in March", but it's nearing the end of the month and I figured that there'd be some buzz when it's about to ship.

edit: Meerkat date pushed from March to May, as it seems.

Last edited:
Yea, not digging the new texturing on the Tuff either. I saw the old version at Blade 2011. The new version just looks like golf ball dimples. All in all, still a very good looking knife.

I love the dimples. It looks sporty, modern, and unlike all the other knives out there.

I was swamped with requests to show the Li´l Matriarch after the Amsterdam Meet. Unfortunately it was a concept model, meaning I can´t show it. I passed the requests onto Eric Glesser and he cooperated to give this sneak peek at the Li´l Matriarch. I didn´t get any extra info about the edge configurations, but I hope it will be offered with full serrations.

[video=youtube;eNuMvGORtM0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNuMvGORtM0&hd=1[/video]

Isn't that blade shape intended for self-defense slashing? If so, the blade looks to be too small for practical self-defense use...

Isn't that blade shape intended for self-defense slashing? If so, the blade looks to be too small for practical self-defense use...

People have certain and differing criteria for any tool.

Sure it's not a Civilian, but considering Spyderco's edges, would you want to be on the receiving end of a slash from that blade ;)

With the right training you can save your life with a lolipop, set of keys, a pen, or even a Ladybug, but I digress. No, the blade is not too small.

Sal Glesser talks about the history, development and features of the new Spyderco South Fork fixed blade, designed by Phil Wilson. There's a quite a bit of background noise that I tried to surpress as much as possible. At times it can be hard to hear everything, I hope you can still follow the story Sal is telling because I found it very interesting.

[video=youtube;Gm3Qs7oL3Ok]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm3Qs7oL3Ok&hd=1[/video]

Sal Glesser talks about the history, development and features of the new Spyderco South Fork fixed blade, designed by Phil Wilson. There's a quite a bit of background noise that I tried to surpress as much as possible. At times it can be hard to hear everything, I hope you can still follow the story Sal is telling because I found it very interesting.

[video=youtube;Gm3Qs7oL3Ok]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm3Qs7oL3Ok&hd=1[/video]

Now there's a design where the choil (to me) makes sense. This is a knife not made for heavy use, but for finer cutting tasks, with plenty of blade so a choil doesn't seem out of place in its overall proportion.

That's a good looking, well designed piece of tool right there.

Andy

The release date went from late spring ,to late summer..........damn it..

Eric Glesser gives a quick presentation of the new Bob Terzuola Starmate prototype by Spyderco.

[video=youtube;RNzzSL-EjGQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNzzSL-EjGQ&hd=1[/video]

I really appreciate the way Eric presents the knives and is allowed to fully elaborate on the design/his thoughts without being interrupter by the video-taker.

Really excited about that zdp caly 3.5..

Yup,
i really hope that the release date of late summer was a miss-statement... Knifecenter just updated their preorder page to say probably in April so who knows. lol, i have literaly been waiting for years on this one. i want so bad.

I really appreciate the way Eric presents the knives and is allowed to fully elaborate on the design/his thoughts without being interrupter by the video-taker.
I agree. short and sweet, but enough to give us our spydie fix. Thanks again Mr. Blonde for the quality and speed of your coverage

IKR. Can you imagine that Nutnfancy guy taking the video? He'd constantly interrupt with lame jokes and rude comments.

Why do people think this is so bad? With most companies it would be, but not Spyderco, If you have not held any of the Taichung models you are sorely missing out, fit and finish are second to none.

I am excited for the Air, the Southfork and the Tuff. All made in Taiwan too. :confused:

The Squeak is a great little folder, and a pink version is in the works. Spyderco is considering more colors, but pink will be the first varation from the regular black FRN handle.

[video=youtube;spSQRoJqeHc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spSQRoJqeHc&hd=1[/video]

Back