Amsterdam Meet 2013 Report of Upcoming Spyderco Prototypes

Due to some incidents following the pictures I posted from last year’s meet, I conferred with the Spydercrew and I would like to start this thread by specifically explaining my terms of use for these pictures.

Non-commercial use
To me, this meet and the opportunity to take and post these photos is intended first and foremost for the knifeknuts. If you would like to use, repost, edit etc… any of my pictures for non-commercial use, then you are more than welcome. I would request that you maintain (or add it - in case of editing) my website link www.spydercollector.com as the source for the original image, and the fact that the knife pictured is a prototype. In fact, I would like to encourage you to use these images creatively on your blog, facebook, twitter, pinterest, instagram etc…. as long as it´s for non-commercial use.

Commercial use
If you would like to use my images for commercial purposes, e.g. to advance the sale in your web shop, contact me at mrblonde[AT]spydercollector[DOT]com first, to discuss terms of use. Using my images or any part of them in any altered form for commercial use is not allowed without my express written permission. If a discussion should arise whether a particular form of use is considered commercial or not, I will make the final determination to assert my copyright.

Now, on with the show!

The Battle Station by Alex Diaconescu, or Dialex as we know him on the forums, was shown as a concept model last year. I could tell the design has been ‘spyderized’ more. I remember the concept model featuring more and more aggressive jimping and being somehow a little more ‘angular’ and a little stiff to operate. This production prototype was completely smooth to handle and operate.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_battlestation.jpg

The knife features a strong backlock, G10 scales and a modern tanto-type blade. The knife felt good in the hand. Apparently, the Battle Station was originally conceived as a self-defense design with a solid non-slip grip. This version indeed still offers a solid grip. The handle is also suitable for a reverse grip; the butt end offers plenty of room for a solid thumb rest. I figure this design would be great for anyone currently looking for a Spyderco tanto folder.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_battlestation_blade1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_battlestation_thumbgroove.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_battlestation_clipside.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_battlestation_blade2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_battlestation_butt.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_battlestation_clip.jpg

I tried to take some measurements this year, with the excellent help from Spyderco’s Joyce Laituri. We basically took a ruler and measured the bladelength in a straight line from the edge of the handle scale near the pivot, straight to the blade’s tip. Although these are not official or super-accurate specifications, I think they do convey the size of the prototype more accurately than me guesstimating from memory.

For the Battle Station, we measured:
Blade length: 7,6 cm / 2.9 inch
Overall Length: 18,5 cm / 7.28 inch

More tomorrow…(my time)

I've been eagerly anticipating your threads. Thanks Wouter!

Beyond the agressive looking choil, I'm not into this first offering at all. To each their own I suppose.

Thanks Mr Blonde, it's really nice to have early pics like this.

I dunno....... I can't say this for very many Spydie models, but this one just doesn't speak to me. Except for the Spydie hole, I would have guessed that this was designed for SOG or CRKT.

I dunno....... I can't say this for very many Spydie models, but this one just doesn't speak to me. Except for the Spydie hole, I would have guessed that this was designed for SOG or CRKT.

Looks like a Schrade with those scales to me.

Thanks Mr Blonde, it's really nice to have early pics like this.

I can see that in the handle design. I really like the blade grind though. I could maybe do with a more flowing swedge but I like the main grind and bellied tanto shape.

thanks for bringing us this.
I can't tell without handling, but wouldn't those liners cut into my palms?
looks really neat though!

Back