Amsterdam Meet 2013 Report of Upcoming Spyderco Prototypes

Well, this fills a niche in waved karambits. The Emerson is expensive, and still probably a little too big for most women or small-handed men. The Super Emerson and the "regular-sized" Fox 478/9 is pretty much for giants only. The Fox 599 is even slightly smaller than the Emerson but is only sold by one outlet in the US, which seems a bit flaky. (You have to pay up front and then wait up to six weeks for the knife and you can't cancel the order.) So many are waiting for a good small-sized karambit with the wave feature at a decent price point. My guess is that since they stepped down the steel to VG10 from S30V they may be aiming at a street price more like the Fox than the Emerson. I really like the rotated finger hole. Should work for both forward and reverse.

I would mostly agree with that.

Specially the part bout the smaller fox model and only one dealer for it, which I totally view as BS.

If 204P is indeed to be discontinued in the near future, I wonder what will be the Southard's replacement steel? This also means no exact second run (just saying) of the KW green Para2.

I hope this news from Carpenter isn't true also. I actually want to see MORE Carpenter steels, not less like they are planning. I want more 204P, and 20CP.

Sal replied to me in that thread that Carpenter watches threads about their steel and that it influences their decisions. Its possible that we may be able to effect a desirable outcome in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by tatteredmidnight
Its unfortunate to hear that Carpenter is considering discontinuing 204P, I'm enjoying it in my Southard. Hopefully they will decide to continue to cater to the niche cutlery industry, but obviously they have to do what makes sense for their business.
Ron is good about watching Carpenter related threads and these types of discussions may influence their decisions.

sal

Last edited:
According to that thread Carpenter will stop producing 204P! I hope this isn't true, but at least I already have my Southard!

I really want the Domino and I would like it to have the bearing system. With the Southard being so buttery, I am more than happy to pay a few (or a couple of few) extra dollars for this. My only concern would be added thickness, the Southard is quite beefy and the Domino is a more elegant design. Either way the caged bearing system is the bees' (spyders') knees

Also quite excited about the equilibrium

Agree about the Southard, but now I'm afraid of using mine. It's going to become a very valuable collector's knife. I thought they were going to release a PM2 in 204P?

We can help by purchasing knives with 204P and 20CP... Soooo, let's see more knives in these steels so we can buy them! That should help with Carpenter's decision! But we need those knives available, lack of interest hasn't been a problem, these steels generally sell like hotcakes.

Thanks for the photos!

I'm liking the Domino, Kiwi, laminated Super Blue and the pink Dragonfly too :). I already have two pink knives. Why stop now? :D I've already ordered a zdp Dragonfly, so I probably won't get another, though. The Chaparral looks great, but I fear it will feel too expensive for me. The clipiTools look fun too.

Carpenter posted on a thread on the Spyderco site forum and said that 204 was not going to be disco'd. They are going to continue to make it and they have inventory.

My bad. sorry,

but good news.

sal

Carpenter posted on a thread on the Spyderco site forum and said that 204 was not going to be disco'd. They are going to continue to make it and they have inventory.

My bad. sorry,

but good news.

sal

Thanks for clearing that up!!

Back