Amsterdam Meet 2013 Report of Upcoming Spyderco Prototypes

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_conceptmodel_kiwig10.jpg

The Kiwi G-10 Concept Model measured as follows:

Blade Length: 7,5 cm / 2.95 inch
Overall Length: 17,1 cm / 6.7 inch

Still more to come tomorrow...

Ooooh! Under three inches? I'll play! I'll be looking forward to this one.

These pictures are all fantastic. Thank you very much for posting them. I'm especially interested in the Domino and Hungarian Folder. Like some others have said, to me the Hungarian Folder looks very Vallotton-ish. The larger Kiwi actually looks pretty good, as well.

Spyderco's going to be getting a fair chunk of my money this year - and deservedly so!

I think after all these my budget will come crashing down too ezbake. Great pics Mr. Blonde. Very much appreciated.

Hook that Kiwi up with a pocket clip, CTS-XHP, carbon fiber or silver twill overlay material (like on the 2 Gayle Bradley collaborations), and I'm in for qty: 2 :thumbup:

(Taichung seems to be doing a great job lately and these materials seem readily available over there...... ;))

The Mike Draper prototype seemed, to me, a lot like one of the old-fashioned straight Spyderco designs. The knife measured 22,8 cm / 8,9 inch overall, with an estimated blade length of 9.5 cm / 3.7 inch. The knife was a lot lighter in the hand than I initially thought. I’m afraid I didn’t catch much more info on this Mike Draper design.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_mikedraper_clipside.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_mikedraper_handle.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_mikedraper_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_mikedraper.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_mikedraper_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_mikedraper_spine.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_mikedraper_lock.jpg

The Spin was one of Eric Glesser’s earliest designs for Spyderco. The goal was to design a knife his wife would EDC. After a couple of years, the design was discontinued. Now it’s back as a sprint run in blue nishijin carbon fiber. My pics don’t do justice to the blue nishijin, the background is too similar and it kind of washes out the striking pattern. Trust me, if you liked black nishijin carbon fiber, I’m sure you’ll love the blue stuff.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_spin.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_spin_handle.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_spin_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_spin_clipside.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_spin_spine.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_spin_clip.jpg

The approximate specs for the Spin Blue Nishijin sprint are:

Blade Length: 4,5 cm / 1.77 inch
Overall Length: 10,5 cm / 4.1 inch

The mike draper is on my list! Also could I have a guess on handle material?

The Szabo has hardly hit the market, or so it seems to me, and a variant is already in the works; this time in all black. The handle material seemed to be the same as on the Domino, a decorated glass woven fiber over G-10. Although personally I’m not really into black blades, I have to admit the all black finish on the Szabo Folder looks fearsome!

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_szabofolderblack.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_szabofolderblack_blade2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_szabofolderblack_handle.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_szabofolderblack_blade1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_szabofolderblack_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_szabofolderblack_clipside.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_szabofolderblack_logo.jpg

The approximate specs for the black Szabo Folder are:

Blade Length: 11,7 cm / 4.60 inch
Overall Length: 25,9 cm / 10.19 inch
 

The Perrin Streetbowie is back, now in all black. Apparently the design started out by Fred Perrin, intended for use by the French Armed Forces. The Spyderco Perrin Streetbowie never did become a French army issue knife. Recently, the US armed forced showed interest in the design, but they wanted it in all black. So Spyderco decided to come out with the Perrin Streetbowie in black.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_productionsample_perrin.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_productionsample_perrin_handle.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_productionsample_perrin_blade2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_productionsample_perrin_solo.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_productionsample_perrin_blade1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_productionsample_perrin_sheathed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_productionsample_perrin_handlespine.jpg

I forgot to take measurements of the Perrin, but according to an older catalog, the Spyderco Perrin Streetbowie measures:

Blade Length: 12,8 cm / 5.05 inch
Overall Length: 23,8 cm / 9.38 inch

Another design from a knifedesigner that’s also a forumite! Last year’s concept model of the Serrata has seen a bit of ‘spyderization’ but not much I think. This was the last knife from the Amsterdam Meet I could ‘shoot and show’, and I forgot to take some measurements I’m afraid. I think the blade was around 5 inches long. The handle features thin contoured black micarta scales. Although the blade stock seemed thick – compared to the Perrin Streetbowie for example – it handled like a dream. I was kind of looking around for some stuff to cut. The knife moved lightly in the hand. It has excellent ergonomics. The thick blade showed excellent edge geometry. I’d love to put this knife to work. I didn’t see any sheath for the knife. It’s on my wishlist for sure!

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_serrata1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_serrata_logo.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_serrata_handle2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_serrata_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_serrata_handle1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_serrata2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_serrata_spine.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_serrata_inhand1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_serrata_inhand2.jpg

And that´s all of the spyderco prototype pictures for this year folks!

A great big thank you to the Spydercrew for allowing me to shoot and share all these pictures of concept models, prototypes and production samples! Which other knife company does this for its afi's?!

Great pics Wouter. Always appreciate your threads from Amsterdam:thumbup:

What kind of handle material on this knife? I think someone said Bioblu for the Carpenter employees and they may go with g10 or SS for the general public.

I hope to see some pictures of this knife in its final form.

I couldn't shoot the updated proto of the Carpenter. The handle looked different now, not like the shiny bioblu from last year. I don't know what the handle material is now, in the current proto.

Back