Amsterdam Meet 2014 Report of Upcoming Spyderco Prototypes

That Roadie looks great. I'm guessing the handle is G10, right? It looks like it but I can't tell for sure.

I'm not sure what the handle material was on the Roadie. Perhaps Sal can chime in and clarify the handle material?

I’m afraid I don’t remember many details about the Roc by Serge Panchenko, as I focused on photographing all those knives that came by my table at the Meet. The Roc has a striking look, but the ergos were very good. I’m sure my fellow attendees can share more details about the Roc prototype.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionprototype_roc.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionprototype_roc_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionprototype_roc_handle.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionprototype_roc_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionprototype_roc_spine.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionprototype_roc_lock.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionprototype_roc_clipside.jpg

The Peter Carey Rubicon was just a beautiful custom folder….made by Spyderco. I’m not a big custom knife expert, but this knife had me do a double take to make sure this wasn’t the original custom knife, being used as a concept model. The Rubicon pictured here was a production sample.

I remember it being a solid feeling folder, without it being too heavy. The lines of this flipper design were very striking, with an orange G-10 accent around the pivot and an orange G-10 spacer. The handle was made of full carbon fiber scales that were rounded for a more 3D ergonomic grip.

The approximate specifications of the Rubicon are:

Overall Length: 19 cm / 7.48 inches
Edge Length: 7,5 cm / 2.95 inches
Blade Length: 7,8 cm / 3.07 inches
Blade Thickness: 0,35 cm / 0.14 inches

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_rubicon.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_rubicon_blade_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_rubicon_handle_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_rubicon_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_rubicon_handle_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_rubicon_spacer.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_rubicon_blade_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_rubicon_clipside.jpg

The Slysz Bowie folder was a very attractive folder to me. It’s a straightforward 'simple' folding knife design, but it had some refined touches.

The spine of the blade was rounded. The integral lock operated very smooth and the blade locked up very well. There's also a G-10 spacer that features jimping to enhance the grip. Compared to Slysz’s Techno design, this seemed like a much more light and elegant design. Still, this Bowie folder looked and handled like it should be a hard working knife.

Unfortunately, we didn’t get around to taking some measurements of the Slysz Bowie. I recall the blade being in the 3.2 – 3.5 inch territory, but I could be off on that. I can’t wait to see this design hitting production and becoming available. I want one!

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionprototype_slyszbowie.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionprototype_slyszbowie_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionprototype_slyszbowie_halfopen.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionprototype_slyszbowie_spacer.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionprototype_slyszbowie_spine.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionprototype_slyszbowie_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionprototype_slyszbowie_lock.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionprototype_slyszbowie_handle.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionprototype_slyszbowie_clipside.jpg

I'm working on one more batch for tomorrow and then I covered all the protos I could share, unfortunately. :)

The Slysz Bowie is great with the full titanium handle and frame lock all kind of stonewashed. I prefer it over the Schempp Frontier bowie.

The Roc rocks but somehow I see it with a corkscrew as well so that you could do the full wine and cheese appetizers. :)

That roadie sure looks cool. I hope it'll be affordable enough for me to get one, and not just end up leaving all my knifes in the bag under the plane instead.

The Peter Carey Rubicon was just a beautiful custom folder….made by Spyderco. I’m not a big custom knife expert, but this knife had me do a double take to make sure this wasn’t the original custom knife, being used as a concept model. The Rubicon pictured here was a production sample.

I remember it being a solid feeling folder, without it being too heavy. The lines of this flipper design were very striking, with an orange G-10 accent around the pivot and an orange G-10 spacer. The handle was made of full carbon fiber scales that were rounded for a more 3D ergonomic grip.

The approximate specifications of the Rubicon are:

Overall Length: 19 cm / 7.48 inches
Edge Length: 7,5 cm / 2.95 inches
Blade Length: 7,8 cm / 3.07 inches
Blade Thickness: 0,35 cm / 0.14 inches

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_rubicon.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_rubicon_blade_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_rubicon_handle_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_rubicon_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_rubicon_handle_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_rubicon_spacer.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_rubicon_blade_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_rubicon_clipside.jpg

Wow! Just wow. I absolutely love this. Definitely pre ordering this!

The Slysz Bowie is an absolute MUST have for me! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: I also really like the PITS, Firefly and Rubicon.

Wow! If all of these beauties make it to production I'm going to need to get another job. ;)

The Serge Panchenko Roc is ugly and beautiful at the same time, and I want one. I also want a Mike Read PITS.

How does the "concept model," "production prototype," "production sample" hierarchy work? I'm assuming the concept models are pretty far out in the future, subject to possibly significant changes, production prototypes are about where they're going to be, maybe some minor tweaks still to come, and production samples are rolling off the lines ready (or almost ready) to go into customers' hands?

Also, I've been getting reacquainted with Ti framelocks via my small LH Seb 21 recently... and that Slysz Bowie looks like it could completely knock it out of my pocket. Cannot wait for that one, especially if it really is in the 3.2-3.5" blade length range - fits between the small and large Seb perfectly. I'm down.

Carey Rubicon looks great, too - I like it a lot more than the Firefly, to be honest. Hopefully all of that machined CF and G10 won't up the price too much.

Also, thanks so much for sharing the awesome pics!

How does the "concept model," "production prototype," "production sample" hierarchy work? I'm assuming the concept models are pretty far out in the future, subject to possibly significant changes, production prototypes are about where they're going to be, maybe some minor tweaks still to come, and production samples are rolling off the lines ready (or almost ready) to go into customers' hands?

correct.

sal

Back