Amsterdam Meet 2014 Report of Upcoming Spyderco Prototypes

How does the "concept model," "production prototype," "production sample" hierarchy work? I'm assuming the concept models are pretty far out in the future, subject to possibly significant changes, production prototypes are about where they're going to be, maybe some minor tweaks still to come, and production samples are rolling off the lines ready (or almost ready) to go into customers' hands?

correct.

sal

Ok...there's hope. Love the Rubicon but Peter Carey carry options are one-sided.
The stout Slysz Bowie has the wire clip setup for both sides but it appears that that Spydie hole allows for only about 50% access from the lock bar side. I own the Domino and still have good access from the frame lock side and is one of my favorite 3. I would buy both of the above knives if they were made more friendly for us 10 percenters. More cheese for my whine please.

Well my list is now the Rubicon and the Frontier. Im sure a few others will make it into my collection this next year as well. Can't wait!

Ok...there's hope. Love the Rubicon but Peter Carey carry options are one-sided.
The stout Slysz Bowie has the wire clip setup for both sides but it appears that that Spydie hole allows for only about 50% access from the lock bar side. I own the Domino and still have good access from the frame lock side and is one of my favorite 3. I would buy both of the above knives if they were made more friendly for us 10 percenters. More cheese for my whine please.

+1:thumbup:

I love everything about the Rubicon but the clip and that is a deal breaker for me.
The Slysz I can almost think about because I could just finger flick it. However I really do want thumb access.

C'mon please.... Just those 2 and I'll be happy. Lefty's have rights too;)

Crap...

I saw the first few pages of this thread and thought to myself "meh, there's one or two that I'll pick up out of curiosity, but nothing I can't live without". Then Mr.Blonde kept posting... and kept posting...

The last few pages, wow - great new stuff Spyderco. I'm now convinced that I need to save up some more money for purchases this next year.

Wow the Slysz Bowie looks awesome. I will definitely be grabbing one of these.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionprototype_pits.jpg

What kind of lock is this?

Mike did a video on the Janisong. I'm sure it's out there.

sal

There's the old one from when Blackhawk Blades made the very short production run. Haven't seen the Spyderco rendition in a video other than a few seconds of it in the display case from a Tatanka video. A quick youtube search didn't turn up anything except the Blackhawk vid from years ago. Google hasn't turned up any recent results either.

Someone ask Mike to upload it to youtube. :thumbup:

What kind of lock is this?
It's a slipjoint.

I'll bet that Rubicon will be Spyderco's priciest knife yet... Still getting one though 😆

I don't see it being much more or at all more expensive than the Domino.

Lacks the Ti framelock, but I have to wonder about the cost of the 3d contouring on the cf and g10, the fancy spacer and pivot... we'll just have to see how that balances against a Ti/steel insert lock side.

Awesome collection of new designs this year. I love the diversity & collaborations with so many great makers!! SLYSZ BOWIE & DOGTAG FOR ME PLEASE (SO FAR)!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

We knew this version of the Southard was coming, and it was nice to see it in the flesh! Or more accurately, to see it in steel.

Apart from the all-black hardware, the texture on the G-10 was also different from the first version of the Southard. The very grippy brown G-10 has been replaced by a much smoother (regular) black G-10 pattern on the all-black Southard. It should make the knife much easier to draw from -and put back in- your pocket.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_southardallblack.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_southardallblack_blade_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_southardallblack_handle.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_southardallblack_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_southardallblack_blade_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_southardallblack_clipside.jpg

Back