Amsterdam Meet 2015 report of upcoming Spyderco prototypes

I just got back from the wonderful IWA Show in Germany; I tossed my laundry in a corner and fired up my computer to start finishing the pictures for my first post. I’ll continue posting new prototypes in the next few days.

Due to some incidents following the pictures I posted in previous years, I would like to start this thread by specifically explaining my terms of use for these pictures.

Non-commercial use
To me, this meet and the opportunity to take and post these photos is intended first and foremost for the knifeknuts. If you would like to use, repost, edit etc… any of my pictures for non-commercial use, then you are more than welcome. I would request that you maintain (or add it - in case of editing) the fact that the knives pictured are either concept models, production prototypes or production samples, which I will indicate in each photo. That way, it becomes clear for other viewers what the status of each design is. In addition, I would appreciate a link to my website www.spydercollector.com as the source for the original image. Again, I would like to encourage you to use these images creatively on your blog, facebook, twitter, pinterest, instagram, forum posts etc…., if that is something you’d like to do, as long as it´s for non-commercial use.

Commercial use
If you would like to use my images for commercial purposes, e.g. to advance the sale in your web shop, contact me at mrblonde[AT]spydercollector[DOT]com. Using my images or any part of them in any altered form for commercial use is not allowed without my express written permission.

Thanks to the Spydercrew!
Remember, this is only possible thanks to the generous initiative of Sal, Eric, Joyce, Jur, Ted, Martin and the rest of the Spydercrew that put on this great meet each year! I think this is the 11th meet I attended and I’m very grateful for the opportunity to be there and take some pictures and notes that I can share with you knifeknuts. Each meet is a very special event and I sincerely appreciate this great opportunity to see the prototypes and to discuss them with the Spydercrew and fellow knifeknuts. Sal and Eric love the feedback, so don’t be shy to comment on the designs I can show you in this thread.

Sal and Eric provided a lot of information and background stories for each design. Any mistakes in these descriptions are mine. If you attended the meet and picked up some other information on this and the other prototypes in this thread, please add that information to this thread.

Now, let’s start the show!

The ARK prototype neck knife was also shown last year; click here [ for images and information on the previous prototype. I really liked the molded handle with bi-directional texturing in this refined prototype. IIRC, the handle is molded directly on the tang in a process that ensures it won’t come off without destroying the knife itself. It’s a really flat handle that still offered a solid grip. I’ll still attach a small lanyard to it, so my pinky has something to hang onto. The sheath has changed since the first prototype as well. The injection molded sheath now has a wider and square profile, to prevent the knife from twisting during carry. Apart from the edge, tip and spine of the blade, everything else on the ARK seemed nicely rounded, lightweight and flat. This should make a very nice small and potent neck knife that, thanks to the H-1 blade, you could carry anywhere.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_ark_complete.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_ark_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_ark_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_ark_blade_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_ark_blade_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_ark_handle.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_ark_inhand_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_ark_inhand_21.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_ark_insheath_1.jpg

Overall Length: 12,6 cm / 4.96 inches
Blade Length: 6,7 cm / 2.63

That’s all I can manage to post today. If all goes well, there’ll be much more tomorrow.

The thread of the year begins! Thank you Mr Blonde I like this more than the catalog

The Gayle Bradley Folder 2 features a CPM M4 blade; a steel preference that apparently came from Bradley’s experience as a cutting competition champion. The original Bradley folder has plenty of fans, and this seemed to be a more refined version of the original design. The Folder 2 was a bit narrower, lighter and thinner overall. The tip seemed to be a bit thicker than the original Bradley Folder though. For a production prototype, this was a very nicely finished piece. It was very smooth and the fit and finish really looked superb.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_bradleyfolder2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_bradleyfolder2_blade_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_bradleyfolder2_blade_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_bradleyfolder2_bladespine.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_bradleyfolder2_standing.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_bradleyfolder2_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_bradleyfolder2_handle.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_bradleyfolder2_handle_offsets.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_bradleyfolder2_lock.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_bradleyfolder2_halfopen.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_bradleyfolder2_inhand_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_bradleyfolder2_inhand_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_bradleyfolder2_clipside.jpg

Overall Length: 21,0 cm / 8.27 inches
Blade Length: 9,0 cm / 3.54 inches
Closed Length: 11,5 cm / 4.53 inches

Wow, that GB2 looks stunning. There were a few things about the GB1 that I wasn't in love with, and it looks like the 2 addressed them all. A little thinner, more rounded off at the ends and a bit slimmer for easier pocket carry, for me at least. Yes, I think I see one of these in my future.

Edited to add: I am absolutely in love with this new blade profile. :thumbup::thumbup:

Judging from the current popularity of the Dog Tag folders already in production, this should be another crowd pleaser. This G-10 and Carbon Fiber prototype felt significantly lighter in the hand than the current production Dog Tag folders. The scale and spacer were a bit thicker than the Titanium and Aluminum handled versions. I actually preferred this added thickness as it made the blade, for me at least, much easier to open. I also noticed that this dark prototype in G-10 and CF had a very solid lock-up and the self-close was very secure too. If I’d ever get a Dog Tag folder, I’d go for this one myself.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionsample_dogtagfolderblackg-10cf.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionsample_dogtagfolderblackg-10cf_closed_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionsample_dogtagfolderblackg-10cf_closed_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionsample_dogtagfolderblackg-10cf_halfopen.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionsample_dogtagfolderblackg-10cf_standing.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionsample_dogtagfolderblackg-10cf_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionsample_dogtagfolderblackg-10cf_inhand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionsample_dogtagfolderblackg-10cf_back.jpg

Overall Length: 8,2 cm / 3.23 inches
Blade Length: 3,1 cm / 1.23 inches
Closed length: 5,1 cm / 2 inches

Last edited:
I think the GB2 just made my pants a lot tighter.

The lines, so sleek and beautifully functional.

I may or may not have squealed like my one-year-old daughter at the GB pics. I fanboi all over the current GB, looks like it'll be a repeat for the GB 2. Definitely buying one or three. :thumbup:

The Firefly made its second appearance at an Amsterdam Meet, click here to see my photos and impression from last year. The Firefly has encountered some setbacks in production, which is the reason why it is not out already. At the IWA Show in Germany I had some additional time to handle the Firefly prototype. I noticed that it felt on step smaller in size and handling than a Delica. The handle itself was a bit too short for my taste, so I would add a lanyard to fix this. The fit and finish of this prototype was pretty amazing. I could feel zero gaps between the full carbon fiber bolsters, the orange G-10 handle and the steel frame. It’s a very impressive gent’s knife.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_firefly.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_firefly_blade_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_firefly_blade_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_firefly_handle.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_firefly_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_firefly_standing.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_firefly_bolster.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_firefly_lock.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_firefly_inhand_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_firefly_inhand_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_firefly_halfopen.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_firefly_clipside.jpg

Overall Length: 15,8 cm / 6.22 inches
Blade Length: 7 cm / 2.74 inches
Closed length: 8,8 cm / 3.48 inches

I'm sad to see the choil gone from the Bradley - I would've liked a shallow one like the first with a bit more of a finger guard a la the Stretch - but it still looks amazing. Easily the model I'm most looking forward to right now.

Back