Amsterdam Meet 2015 report of upcoming Spyderco prototypes

I'm keeping it simple, S90V: Nirvana and Thai Stick. This won't be cheap I imagine. :D

Another interesting cutting edge (pardon the pun) design with the Vrango. I'm trying to imagine how I would use such a blade....
For me it's the Myrtle. It looks like a design in search of a reason. Mr. Blonde said it's designed for the type of practical utility chores most people use a knife for; opening packages and cutting food. But unless someone can explain the advantages of its blade shape over a traditional blade shape, I'm going to need to see it in action before I truly get it.

Last edited:
Nothing to be sad about. Pick up one of each of the new releases you like and I doubt you'll hear any complaints from Sal or Eric.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder . . . :)

The thing about Spyderco is there's something for everyone from the smallest size to the largest. Something that can't be said about most other brands.

Between individual designers and quite a few companies, there are a lot of great designs in the industry right now. However, Spyderco, more than any other company continues to blow me away by the quality of their products and their constant innovation. Stale is definitely not a word I could ever associate with Spyderco products. The lineup shown at Amsterdam is just amazing.

I guess we know how Sal and Eric plan on paying for that new addition... Wow just wow!!! Ill be broke for sure great job spyderco team on coming up with some great collaborations.... 👏👏👏👏

What the new lineup, Spyderco's constant search for new alloys to bring to us, and Sal's involvement in this subforum tell me is that for Spyderco, it's not just about conducting business. It's about supporting the talent that drives the business and performing the R&D that keeps the game fresh. Whether or not I like the designs, it's impossible for me not to like the company and the people who stand behind it.

Last edited:
Oh absolutely. I won't disagree with that. I will agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. They just don't appeal to me. Then again, knives like the Spyderco Native I find to be completely satisfying. Maybe it's because they are practical in house designs. To some, they may seem bland. That is why I so eagerly await the Shaman. I was hoping to see it.

All in time.

What the new lineup, Spyderco's constant search for new alloys to bring to us, and Sal's involvement in this subforum tell me is that for Spyderco, it's not just about conducting business. It's about supporting the talent that drives the business and conducting the research that keeps the game fresh. Whether or not I like the designs, it's impossible for me not to like the company and the people who stand behind it.

A lot of cool new designs. None are being made in the US so production must be upping just for Paramilitary 2 demand. :foot: Seriously though, those guys in Taiwan are kicking out some amazing volume and quality!

I’m afraid I didn’t catch much background information on the Sprig, as I was busy shooting all the incoming knives at this point during the meet. IIRC this sample looked a bit used, as it was the prototype that was also tested by Phil Wilson and he apparently really tested it properly. I recall the knife handling very light and comfortable. I already own the Southfork, but if I could choose between that and the Sprig. I’d probably go for the Sprig as it would be a better match with my uses, for foodprep, picknicks etc… during camping trips.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_sprig.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_sprig_blade_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_sprig_blade_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_sprig_handle_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_sprig_handle_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_sprig_inhand_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_sprig_inhand_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_sprig_standing_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_sprig_standing_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_sprig_reverse.jpg

Overall Length: 22,5 cm / 8.86 inches
Blade Length: 11 cm / 4.33 inches

I had to attend an evening meeting at work, and just got home to process and post the Sprig. It's all I can do tonight, sorry guys. There's more to come tomorrow.

Every time I see that Mr Blonde posted last in this topic my heart skips a beat!

Thank you for posting these, by the way.

I had to attend an evening meeting at work, and just got home to process and post the Sprig. It's all I can do tonight, sorry guys. There's more to come tomorrow.

Thanks Mr Blonde. Your efforts are much appreciated.

I'm adding the Sprig and the Tighe to the wishlist. I've been putting off getting a Southfork, now i know why. For the Tighe I could learn to carry tip down, but I'll still throw another request for tip-up out there. (LH, of course!)

Looks like a great year for the Spyderco product line!

Back