Amsterdam Meet 2015 report of upcoming Spyderco prototypes

Sprig Blade Length: 11 cm / 4.33 inches is a little longer than I would have liked BUT It a MUST have knife for me

Any ETA?

My top contenders thus far: Nirvana, Mamba, Gayle Bradley 2. Honorable mention goes to the Tighe Stick and Vrango... :)

It's subtle and may just be a graphic distortion but seems like Myrtle blade has a bit of a hook on the tip after the nice belly kind of like a much subtler (and longer) Dodo blade design.

Envelopes and boxes I understand the advantage but food and clamshell packaging? Seems tip too delicate or should have more pronounced tip like Cricket - I imagine after a few dozen resharpenings that tip would begin to disappear leaving a standard droppoint. For food I use standard Chinese cleavers and so far no folder has compared although A G Russell has a design that looked interesting and I variously use the Military, GB1, and Large Lum for food prep use.

Of the protos so far, bit disappointed in GB2, miss the choil but agree with all other improvements despite loving my GB1. The ARK seems extremely practical from sheath to handle, although the blade looks a tad awkward but I imagine it works great.

Looking forward most to Lil Lum, Roadie, Southard ION, and Nirvana. Not a big fan of the Brend Mamba, just seems too "tacticool" to me but different folks different strokes and all that.

Divided on the Ti Pingo, Myrtle. Pingo seems like a G-10 handle would be more appropriate in some bright color... just seems too easy to scratch up although the design is appealing. The Myrtle seems possibly practical but seems too much of a compromise between a true S-blade versus a hawkbill or droppoint which are both, for me, more practical blade shapes. Maybe add an index-finger jimping and "ridge" a la Jester? I imagine the blade was designed to be an S-shape while being relatively easier to sharpen versus Dodo, Cricket, etc. I guess time will tell. I would have preferred a long wharncliffe or hocho blade myself....

Last edited:
The Ion and the Nirvana are calling to me...

About as much as Puerto Rico is the United States.

Less. More like Texas is to Mexico. One thinks it owns the other, the other largely ignores it while running its own economy, military, and government.

According to me as a Taiwanese, Taiwan has nothing to do with China, and we'll make sure it stays that way.

+1 on each.

I'm not sure whether I should be amused or insulted by this response. I have wantonly spent multiple thousands of dollars on knives and other sharp objects over the years and I could afford to buy the Brend Persian even if it comes in at 3 or 4 hundred dollars. The point is ; I don't want to. I couldn't care less about carbon fiber or titanium or any other superficial nonsense. I care about design and fit and finish and the Brend Persian would not be a "lesser item" with VG- 10 blade steel and a G- 10 handle that could probably sell at under $200 dollars. In fact it would be a real man's knife and not ,as it's currently dressed up, some egotistical prop for some doofus to display alongside his expensive watch and cigars.
No need to be either really, it's a simple discussion. Strange to choose the two extreme ends of the spectrum. But okay.

Even if you think that Taiwan = China it's impossible to ignore that Spyderco's Taiwanese products are vastly higher quality than their Chinese products.

That said I think the Raven 2 needs more love even though it's a Byrd and not an official Spyderco. It looks like it'd be very comfortable. The liners look nice and thick too.

I know it's not as exciting as a titanium frame lock though.

The Reverse is a design collaboration between Michael Janich and Craig Douglas, two renowned and somewhat different defensive tactics trainers. The reverse combines both of their schools of thought. You can flip the handle scales for a blade set-up for reverse grip edge-in tactics, or for a edge-out point forward grip. I guess it would also be perfect for those who’d like to experiment with one of these grips, if you don’t like it, just switch the grip back to your preferred style.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_reverse.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_reverse_blade_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_reverse_blade_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_reverse_inhand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_reverse_standing_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_reverse_standing_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_reverse_handlespine.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_reverse_reverse.jpg

Overall Length: 20 cm / 7.87 inches
Blade Length: 9 cm / 3.54 inches

The Ronin 2 could perhaps be considered to be a fixed blade version of the Yojimbo 2, or simply a full sized version of the Ronin 1 neck knife. What struck me most is how light and flat the Ronin 2 was. I’d think that with the right sheath set-up the Ronin 2 should be as easy to carry as the type of knives custom maker Bud Nealy is known for. The knife gripped very well, very secure. And I would love to test this knife in some drills and ballistic cutting tests. I’m sure many fans of the Yojimbo 2 will take a serious look at the Ronin 2.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_ronin2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_ronin2_blade_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_ronin2_blade_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_ronin2_tip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_ronin2_inhand_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_ronin2_inhand_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_ronin2_standing_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_ronin2_handle.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_ronin2_choil.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_ronin2_reverse.jpg

Overall Length: 20 cm / 7.87 inches
Blade Length: 10,5 cm / 4.13 inches

When the Bushcraft fixed blade was first announced, Sal also planned to do a so-called NASA version; a version of the Bushcraft knife with all high-tech materials. I believe NASA is a protected name, but Endeavour still evokes the high-tech approach most people associate with the famous space agency. The Endeavour features a full flat grind S90V blade and full sculpted carbon fiber handles. It was a beautiful knife with a grip that had me looking around for stuff to cut.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_endeavour.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_endeavour_blade_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_endeavour_blade_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_endeavour_handle.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_endeavour_inhand_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_endeavour_inhand_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_endeavour_standing.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_endeavour_reverse.jpg

Overall Length: 22 cm / 8.66 inches
Blade Length: 10,5 cm / 4.13 inches

Well we know who has the hookup for fixed blade S90V knives. The Sprig and Endeavor are killers... If I didn't love plain old A2 and O1 so much I might have had to sell everything and start over with these two.

Back