Amsterdam Meet 2015 report of upcoming Spyderco prototypes

Love the Endeavor. This is the one I have been waiting for! It is better than I had hoped. I will be buying more than one!

To me, the Bradley Bowie looked and handled like a solid classic field knife. It has the same type of smooth radiused grip as the Southfork, but the Bradley Bowie was noticeably bigger and heavier. For a proper review of the Bradley Bowie, please see N. Brian Huegel’s post here.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_bradleybowie.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_bradleybowie_blade_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_bradleybowie_blade_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_bradleybowie_handle_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_bradleybowie_handle_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_bradleybowie_inhand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_bradleybowie_standing_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_bradleybowie_standing_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_bradleybowie_blade_3.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_bradleybowie_blade_4.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_bradleybowie_standing_3.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_bradleybowie_reverse.jpg

Overall Length: 25,5 cm / 10.04 inches
Blade Length: 13,5 cm / 5.31 inches

The Szabohawk felt like it belonged more in a toolbox than a display cabinet for fine knives. And I mean that in a good way, the Szabohawk is definitely all business. The hawk seemed very agile in the hand and ergonomic for a variety of grips. Apparently, it’s suitable for use as both an entry tool and a fighting tool if needed. The SzaboHawk’s sheath from this prototype seemed just right, solid retention but the hawk could be drawn smoothly from the sheath.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_szabohawk.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_szabohawk_blade_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_szabohawk_blade_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_szabohawk_sheath.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_szabohawk_insheath.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_szabohawk_standing_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_szabohawk_inhand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_szabohawk_prytip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_szabohawk_standing_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_szabohawk_reverse.jpg

Overall Length: 30,2 cm / 11.88 inches
Blade Length: 12,4 cm / 4.89 inches

That was the last prototype I can share from this year's Spyderco Amsterdam Meet. Up next for me, to see how the videos of some prototypes turned out that I made from the IWA show in Germany. I hope to publish the first video tomorrow.

The Bradley Bowie is a winner.
I've found my 2 knives for the year. That's right, two...I swear that's all I'm buying. ;)

Thanks again Mr Blonde.

Looking forward to the Bradley 2, Lil Lum, Lil Temperance, Mamba, Raven 2, and the blue Roadie...All of them made the list :D

I will be lucky if I get one new knife for this year... but even given that I only buy Spyderco it's hard to narrow it down.

That Endeavor is not my thing, but that carbon fiber is fantastic.

Been lusting after a Bradley Bowie since they were announced last year. Gonna be a tough three-way competition between that one, the Nirvana, and the Ion.

I am certain I will be buying the Gayle Bradley 2; bonus points if it's solid carbon fiber scales instead of that carbon-fiber-over-g10 stuff.

So many awesome knives, thanks for sharing.
And I already know that the wife won't allow for more than two this year :)
Anyways, I'm more and more restricting the knives I buy, partially due to the carry ban on one hand opening and locking knives. So slip its and small fixed for edc are more my focus than all the nice folders spyderco makes. Still have enough choices though.

Spyderco's Eric Glesser gives a short presentation on the new Spyderco ION prototype, designed by Brad Southard. Sorry for the poor video quality, but I hope you'll enjoy the background information. For reference, the -better- images of the ION can be found here.

[video=youtube;t1A7ccnxjl0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1A7ccnxjl0[/video]

In the video, Eric says the Ion's blade steel is 204P. Is that just for the prototype model, or have they decided to switch steels from S30V to 204P? Given the choice, I would take 204P every time.

Tighe Stick.... WoW!
I'm so overwhelmed by it and the Mambo.... I might be willing to part ways with a couple of my CX02's to buy as many of each as possible! YES, I'm a Spyderco Hoarder and proud of it!

I'd like to see a lot more affordable designs, I think all these heavy frame locks, sculpted titanium and expensive carbon fiber designs go against the spirit of practicality, useability and affordability that makes Spyderco so great. Don't get me wrong, there are some amazing designs this year and the other big knife manufacturers have had the bar set high for them. I'm personally just underwhelmed this time around.

What more could Spyderco do with affordable designs? They cover that area so well with everything they have already it makes sense that they keep expanding their higher end offerings. I suppose an argument could be made for a frn flipper with vg-10 to round out the line up.
I'd like to see a lot more affordable designs, I think all these heavy frame locks, sculpted titanium and expensive carbon fiber designs go against the spirit of practicality, useability and affordability that makes Spyderco so great. Don't get me wrong, there are some amazing designs this year and the other big knife manufacturers have had the bar set high for them. I'm personally just underwhelmed this time around.

What more could Spyderco do with affordable designs? They cover that area so well with everything they have already it makes sense that they keep expanding their higher end offerings. I suppose an argument could be made for a frn flipper with vg-10 to round out the line up.

I'm speaking more to the lack of pragmatic, Form-follows-function practicality in design that makes Spyderco what it is. This line up looks a lot more like Brous Blades and ZT than Spyderco. Just my opinion.

Back