Amsterdam Meet 2015 report of upcoming Spyderco prototypes

Most of the items showcased in this thread are collaborations, so that's probably why they looked less Spyderco-y.

There's a Manix flipper in the pipeline.

Most of the items showcased in this thread are collaborations, so that's probably why they looked less Spyderco-y.

There's a Manix flipper in the pipeline.
Well, I don't understand how that will work being that the Manix 2 has the cbbl, but that's exciting news!

I'm also not huge on the knife industry'a current focus on high dollar aesthetically focused knives, but I do understand it and think a lot of them are cool.

Well, I don't understand how that will work being that the Manix 2 has the cbbl, but that's exciting news!

I'm also not huge on the knife industry'a current focus on high dollar aesthetically focused knives, but I do understand it and think a lot of them are cool.

There was a prototype at the Amsterdam meet, per another attendee's report. It's currently a full Ti framelock with the Manix blade and handle design.

I've been drooling over Rassenti customs for a while, so I am really excited for the Nirvana! The Myrtle is a must have too.

There was a prototype at the Amsterdam meet, per another attendee's report. It's currently a full Ti framelock with the Manix blade and handle design.
Oh. Ok. Well I'm sure that'll be a nice knife.

The ARK prototype neck knife was also shown last year; click here [ for images and information on the previous prototype. I really liked the molded handle with bi-directional texturing in this refined prototype. IIRC, the handle is molded directly on the tang in a process that ensures it won’t come off without destroying the knife itself. It’s a really flat handle that still offered a solid grip. I’ll still attach a small lanyard to it, so my pinky has something to hang onto. The sheath has changed since the first prototype as well. The injection molded sheath now has a wider and square profile, to prevent the knife from twisting during carry...

Overall Length: 12,6 cm / 4.96 inches
Blade Length: 6,7 cm / 2.63

That’s all I can manage to post today. If all goes well, there’ll be much more tomorrow.

Sam and I are both very excited about the ARK rollout. If you want a lanyard as a grip extension, I suggest something waterproof.

John Shirley

Sadly none of these knives really excite me like last year's offerings. Some of them are very nice but not for me. I would have liked to see some good pictures of the new Stretch, If it was there.

A short tabletop review of two upcoming Spyderco prototypes, the sprint run Squeak and Pingo. I notice I didn't get the zoom working correctly, sorry for the video quality. For reference, click here for much better images of the Squeak prototype, and here for better photos of the Pingo prototype.

[video=youtube;OlKYtWM-1yg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlKYtWM-1yg[/video]

Loving both the squeak and the pingo. Would have liked to see a steel upgrade on the squeak as well, but still, very nice.
Also because they are both legal here in Germany. I'm just a little bit concerned that they might not make it to market over here.
Also both knives are enough for edc carry if you don't need them for heavy duty work. It's just a matter of how much knife do you need.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_bradleyfolder2_clip.jpg

Momma mia! The Spydie hole is occluded again, just like on the GB1. :sorrow: This is what I wish it looked like, as shown on my modded GB1, with full access to the Spydie hole:

IMG_7674.jpg

IMG_7678.jpg

Last edited:
Momma mia! The Spydie hole is occluded again, just like on the GB1. :sorrow: This is what I wish it looked like, as shown on my modded GB1, with full access to the Spydie hole:

IMG_7678.jpg

I really like that mod! That would make it easier for us lefties to disengage the lock. Hard for my thumb to get in there on my GB1.

IMG_7674.jpg

IMG_7678.jpg

That is an incredibly cleanly executed mod! Props to the skilled work!
But that said, I've never had an issue with my GB. I think the perfect amount of hole is exposed, IMO.

I really like everything about that Walter Brend Mamba. The blade shape, grind, materials, and design are all wonderful. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I like the Mike Draper overall. A Spyderco with a metal handle is amazing to see. Cool blade design, I love the natural look of the clip and how it seems to "flow". The design is really classy. As long as the designs stay classy, I would like to see some more beautiful handles like these. Also, I would like to see Spyderco's H1 steel in more folding knives. (IMHO) :thumbup:

Peter Rassenti Nirvana - WOW. :thumbup: Ideal all around. I absolutely love the design here.
I wish I could have gone to the show.

Roadie - I like the overall design of this knife, and also the fact that it is so low profile and small. I just can't bring myself to like a plastic framed knife and I can't tell if it has metal liners or not from the photos.

Brian Tighe Stick - I really like this knife, which says a lot for me because I have never really cared for Brian Tighe's designs, OR the modernized style of "tanto" blades. Brain Tighe's work was always to ornamented with designs for my taste. This one is conserved and natural, but still has a style and look all it's own. This knife would have been **perfect if the blade was traditional instead of modernized like it is. EVEN if the top grind on the blade was added to the traditional shape. So, not shinogi, but kanmuri-otoshi style. :thumbup::thumbup:

Phil Wilson Sprig - I love this knife. Simple, and efficient. This knife looks just plain classy. I wonder what kind of sheath they will sell this with. An option of kydex and leather would be idea. Good work on this one.
Chris Claycomb Endeavour - I feel the same way about this knife that I do about Phil Wilson's sprig. Beautiful. I like the handles on this, but I think Micarta would grip better than Carbon Fiber.
I really dig that Laci Szabo SzaboHawk as well. Cool. :thumbup:

Looking forward to the Bradley 2 and the Bradley Bowie.

The Nirvana would look much better with plain Ti IMO. It would cut the cost a hair too. I guess I tend to lean toward simpler knives now - a lot of these protos have too much going on aesthetically.

A quick table top overview of the upcoming Raven 2 production sample by Spyderco. For a better look at the knife itself, see this post with my pictures and first impressions from the 2015 Amsterdam Meet.

[video=youtube;7zlbEdXgebo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zlbEdXgebo[/video]

Spyderco’s Eric Glesser gives a quick overview of the upcoming Vrango prototype, designed by Michael Henningsson. Again, sorry for the poor video quality. Click here for proper pictures of the Vrango.

[video=youtube;jkTOto1veYY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkTOto1veYY[/video]

Once again,
Thank you Mr. Blonde for your efforts providing the pictures and now the videos of the outstanding and exciting upcoming Spyderco products

Back