Amsterdam Meet 2016 Report of Spyderco Prototypes

I'd guess it'll be a fair bit more expensive, given the specialty steel, designer collaboration, and probably lower production volumes (given its niche design)
All very good points. Looks like the blurple Manix 2 will remain at the top of my buy list for now. Might have to grab a Ti Byrd instead, although that chef is just too cool looking!

Given the similarity of the SpydieChef and the Sage 2, should we assume similar pricing?

Without knowing more details myself, I'd just guess it'll be similarly priced to the Slysz Bowie, if not a hair more (due to size). Maybe can judge price just a bit on the Tusk also due to its use of LC200, although that is not a collaboration (and has more moving parts).
In other words, do not expect it to be value budget category offering.

Without knowing more details myself, I'd just guess it'll be similarly priced to the Slysz Bowie, if not a hair more (due to size). Maybe can judge price just a bit on the Tusk also due to its use of LC200, although that is not a collaboration (and has more moving parts).
In other words, do not expect it to be value budget category offering.
Definitely.

15oumj6.jpg

Among the other current models in the lineup (I have a Techno coming in the mail as I type this), this one further demonstrates how amazingly gifted Marcin Slysz is as a designer.

Thank you again for all of your hard work. It's always a treat reading your posts every year.

Wow! The amount of forethought and effort that went into that mamba is truly impressive! Thank you for posting this video -- it really opened my eyes to why some of these knives cost as much as they do :)

That SpydieChef may just knock my Boker SanYouGo out of the pocket when attending family dinner parties. Looks like a very functional multi-use design. My Spydie family is definitely going to grow, possibly double here soon. Shhhhh, don't tell Mrs. Bflying....or I'll Bgrounded. :D

Looking back through your incredible post, Mr. Blonde, I took a second look at the new Jumpmaster. With the different blade shape from the original, how different is it than the original Aqua Salt, which has quite similar specs? Since you've handled the new one, is one better in hand than the other? Just wondering as I have an old yellow SE Aqua Salt...

Looking back through your incredible post, Mr. Blonde, I took a second look at the new Jumpmaster. With the different blade shape from the original, how different is it than the original Aqua Salt, which has quite similar specs? Since you've handled the new one, is one better in hand than the other? Just wondering as I have an old yellow SE Aqua Salt...

The Aqua Salt has a thinner/thicker/rounder handle and narrower blade. The Jumpmaster (2) is much more like a Temperance fixed blade; with wider, flatter thinner handle. Personally, I don't like the Aqua Salt much as it the handle would sometime rotate in my hand when I didn't want it to, during some more strenuous cutting and twisting. I never had that problem with the Temperance. the temperance and Jumpmaster will take up a little more 'real estate' on your belt, pack or hip though.

Out of everything I've seen thus far... the Sage 5 is what I'm most looking forward to hitting the market. Spyderco Sage with a compression lock? Yes please. Take my money. $$$

spyderco_amsterdammeet2016_productionsample_sage5.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2016_productionsample_sage5_lock.jpg

I thought I was done with flippers, but the Bradley is drawing me back in. I love the orange-peel texture and the clean lines. It seems like so many framelocks lately (ZTs especially) have very awkward looking handles with lots of angles. This is a nice change. It's also apparently very light for such a long blade. So, is there any estimated time-frame for this thing, and do we have a general idea on the price? I'm hoping it's not in Nirvana territory. :)

Knowing they're doing a sprint run of knives in HAP40, I might give the Endura or Delica a go. How does that steel compare to something like Super Blue? Would you want to force a patina, or just make sure to keep it dry and throw a coat of mineral oil on it every few carries?

Wow. Thanks for all this. I'm very fond of my Sage 2 and PM 2's compression lock so the Sage 5 is looking tempting to say the least. I would like to see it with the dark clip of the Sage 1 though.

Back