An Idea I had.

A couple of months ago I got myself a Ka-Bar MK1...

After a couple mods the knife is very good and I like it very much. I got the stacked leather handle and the leather sheath version.

But the sheath while it is not bad... Well, it's not good either... The knife retention is near ridiculous and it's almost easier to poke the blade trough it than sheathing the knife properly... I didn't like that...

After fiddling with the knife and the sheath for a while. I came up with the idea of making a PVC insert that will secure the blade and get rid of the play in the sheath. I made it removable to be able to clean it and it works perfectly. All problems are GONE the sheath is now rigid, it hold the knife very well without any rattle and getting the knife in and out is now a breeze...

Just thought I would share the idea....

Loll...I knew it !!!

mk1-1.jpg

mk1-2.jpg

mk1-3.jpg

mk1-4.jpg

mk1-5.jpg

mk1-6.jpg

Hey Steel Junkie. I had an idea last week too. Can I add it to your thread? Good idea by the way. I have a couple of fixed that are a bit of a pain also as they slide down in the sheath too far,and not fond of going to Kydex for these knives. I may copy this idea.

Hey Steel Junkie. I had an idea last week too. Can I add it to your thread? Good idea by the way. I have a couple of fixed that are a bit of a pain also as they slide down in the sheath too far,and not fond of going to Kydex for these knives. I may copy this idea.

Yes !!! That would be great !!!

I have a Hapstone M2 sharpener. It uses edge pro stones. It came with a basic set of 3 stones and I bought the full set of SIC stones, plus a few strops I've made. So it starts to add up to a mess on the table.
We got some new supplies in at the shop and I was clearing out some old stuff and thought, hey there should be a use for this guy....
E05gww0.jpg

so I kept it. A few days latter I got something in with packing stuff around it. Another hmmmmm
KB2uqsS.jpg

Got home and after working with the foam jazzed I realized it's not what I want , but for a trial run it will do fine for now..!
WhsKISa.jpg

Works real well even with sloppy cuts and cleaned up my table quite a bit.

A couple of months ago I got myself a Ka-Bar MK1...

After a couple mods the knife is very good and I like it very much. I got the stacked leather handle and the leather sheath version.

But the sheath while it is not bad... Well, it's not good either... The knife retention is near ridiculous and it's almost easier to poke the blade trough it than sheathing the knife properly... I didn't like that...

After fiddling with the knife and the sheath for a while. I came up with the idea of making a PVC insert that will secure the blade and get rid of the play in the sheath. I made it removable to be able to clean it and it works perfectly. All problems are GONE the sheath is now rigid, it hold the knife very well without any rattle and getting the knife in and out is now a breeze...

Just thought I would share the idea....

You might also try those disposable cutting board sheets.

You might also try those disposable cutting board sheets.

Good idea also. But I like the Kydex alike feeling PVC gives, it's like the best of both world. Good looking easy to maintain. I wonder how much it would cost more if Ka-Bar where adding that little improvement directly at their facilities. While it's very simple and easy to make. It changed completely the way the sheath feels and operates... I'm looking to do the same to a couple other Leather sheaths I have. And PVC is really easy to work with, all you need is a good heat gun and a pair of scissors.

I went in the other direction - use waxed leather liners encased in Kydex to give good retention and rust resistance.
The first of these I made for carrying handgun without the Kydex scratching/burnishing the contact areas, works great for Puukkos and other knives that need a pouch shape for retention.

GYiEFUC.jpg

Back