1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

An Idea I had.

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by SteelJunkee, Jul 27, 2019.

1. SteelJunkee

SteelJunkee Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2018
    A couple of months ago I got myself a Ka-Bar MK1...

After a couple mods the knife is very good and I like it very much. I got the stacked leather handle and the leather sheath version.

But the sheath while it is not bad... Well, it's not good either... The knife retention is near ridiculous and it's almost easier to poke the blade trough it than sheathing the knife properly... I didn't like that...

After fiddling with the knife and the sheath for a while. I came up with the idea of making a PVC insert that will secure the blade and get rid of the play in the sheath. I made it removable to be able to clean it and it works perfectly. All problems are GONE the sheath is now rigid, it hold the knife very well without any rattle and getting the knife in and out is now a breeze...

Just thought I would share the idea....

2. sickpuppy1

sickpuppy1 Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 27, 2018
    Pics! without pictures, it didnt happen!

115Italian likes this.
  3. SteelJunkee

May 6, 2018
    Loll...I knew it !!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. eKretz

eKretz

Aug 30, 2009
    Well done. I like the removal hook too. That's thinking ahead.

sickpuppy1 and SteelJunkee like this.
  5. sickpuppy1

Sep 27, 2018
    Hey Steel Junkie. I had an idea last week too. Can I add it to your thread? Good idea by the way. I have a couple of fixed that are a bit of a pain also as they slide down in the sheath too far,and not fond of going to Kydex for these knives. I may copy this idea.

6. SteelJunkee

May 6, 2018
    Yes !!! That would be great !!!

7. sickpuppy1

Sep 27, 2018
    I have a Hapstone M2 sharpener. It uses edge pro stones. It came with a basic set of 3 stones and I bought the full set of SIC stones, plus a few strops I've made. So it starts to add up to a mess on the table.
    We got some new supplies in at the shop and I was clearing out some old stuff and thought, hey there should be a use for this guy....
    [​IMG]
    so I kept it. A few days latter I got something in with packing stuff around it. Another hmmmmm
    [​IMG]

Got home and after working with the foam jazzed I realized it's not what I want , but for a trial run it will do fine for now..!
    [​IMG]
    Works real well even with sloppy cuts and cleaned up my table quite a bit.

Diemaker likes this.
  8. st8yd

st8yd Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2009
    You might also try those disposable cutting board sheets.

SteelJunkee likes this.
  9. SteelJunkee

May 6, 2018
    Good idea also. But I like the Kydex alike feeling PVC gives, it's like the best of both world. Good looking easy to maintain. I wonder how much it would cost more if Ka-Bar where adding that little improvement directly at their facilities. While it's very simple and easy to make. It changed completely the way the sheath feels and operates... I'm looking to do the same to a couple other Leather sheaths I have. And PVC is really easy to work with, all you need is a good heat gun and a pair of scissors.

10. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded

Jun 4, 2010
    I went in the other direction - use waxed leather liners encased in Kydex to give good retention and rust resistance.
    The first of these I made for carrying handgun without the Kydex scratching/burnishing the contact areas, works great for Puukkos and other knives that need a pouch shape for retention.

[​IMG]

bucketstove and SteelJunkee like this.