An Ode to the 2-Blade Jack

Deep in the Valley they Forge......

OSZeFOP.jpg

LnJPJvp.jpg

WZVnFTV.jpg

hZlYZwv.jpg

Qak9S6U.jpg

8VjBoHD.jpg

Got this Miller Bros Jack (4-1/4" closed length) a few years ago at a flea market about 7 miles from where it was made in the late 1800's/early 1900's. Just taking advantage of the opportunity to post more pics that I've likely posted before. :p:D

ezwOyif.jpg

DNPR9z6.jpg

Got this Miller Bros Jack (4-1/4" closed length) a few years ago at a flea market about 7 miles from where it was made in the late 1800's/early 1900's. Just taking advantage of the opportunity to post more pics that I've likely posted before. :p:D

ezwOyif.jpg

DNPR9z6.jpg
Very nice find! :thumbsup:
I wonder if folks of the day pondered it "not being traditional".:eek::)

Campbellclanman Campbellclanman Wow Duncan, you’re on a serious roll lately!! All the knives you’ve been showing all over this forum are amazing. I really really really like that stout looking Utica!!:thumbsup::thumbsup: Everything about it is just great. The gorgeous bone, the longer bolsters, bare head, big ol shield and that fat spear!! What size is it?

I used to think the stockman was the ultimate pattern, but as I've tried other patterns I've come to appreciate the jacks, pens, and single blades more. My overall favorite is still my Select mini trapper, although it seems to get less carry time as I pick up other knives that I like, such as this recently-acquired copperhead. And then of course there's the infinitely pocketable swayback jack... Yep, I can definitely say I'm a jack fan!

36067557234_ac050c15a3_b.jpg

48441142506_a34eb1d5b5_b.jpg

25902849067_5d8b6b810e_b.jpg

There are some ridiculously beautiful knives in this thread! Thank you all for contributing and please don't stop!

Enviable collections that serve to humble my own considerably.

I brought this guy along with me today. A fine knife and a wonderful shield choice. The color is still not quite growing on me yet though.

gvdCPkE.jpg

I thought I would comment on the select few out of the many terrific knives here that caught my eye.

Also my favorite, 2 blade jack or 2 blade Barlow which is a jack with a long bolster.

View attachment 1172785 View attachment 1172787 View attachment 1172788 View attachment 1172789

That Winchester and (can't make out the tang stamp) clad in Ebony are exquisite! I also can't help but comment on that beautiful Eureka. I am very much looking forward to the upcoming run.

I agree with the pen (or other secondary) in front, whether with spear or clip main. Here are some of my faves.

Ku1kV8o.jpg

6sxsDQi.jpg

l88hIIv.jpg

mtxWdfY.jpg

D40yKXR.jpg

pujrKkE.jpg

ePMTiXl.jpg

4C0oFO9.jpg

WkKyTLD.jpg

2cUNaI9.jpg

All very fine knives, Jeff! That Schrade at the bottom though... That one gets the motor purring pretty quick.

I avoid single blades, and prefer 2 or 3 blade knives. My favorite and most carried jack is an equal end I asked Todd Davison to build for me. The blades are nearly equal, but not quite. The wharncliffe is very slightly shorter than the clip.

View attachment 1173289

Stan Buzek is building me a slightly smaller jack (about 3.5”) similar to this, but with a straight edged secondary...

View attachment 1173290

I also have a Ruple sowbelly that carries and uses like a jack, but with an added awl for scraping and such. Since the awl sits flush with the liner when closed, it looks like a sowbelly jack.

View attachment 1173291

A trapper is also a jack, in my mind. It just has a specific traditional blade configuration...

View attachment 1173292

Almost forgot one of my newest jacks, a nice spear/pen in stag from Joel Chamblin...

View attachment 1173300

Thanks for the thread and all the great jack knives!

The Stag on that Davison is pretty much perfection!

Wow!!!! I LOVE the knives posted folks- Thank you Dylan....

I would consider this a Two 'Bladed" Jack all day my friend....and it get the job done very well!

GXtq5yW.jpg

If some don't, this one then, because Two Bladed Jacks rock!

09Mnogo.jpg

or.....

VaV8FpH.jpg

That Harness Jack is a thing of beauty, Duncan! Same goes for all the other knives you posted, simply terrific.

I used to think the stockman was the ultimate pattern, but as I've tried other patterns I've come to appreciate the jacks, pens, and single blades more. My overall favorite is still my Select mini trapper, although it seems to get less carry time as I pick up other knives that I like, such as this recently-acquired copperhead. And then of course there's the infinitely pocketable swayback jack... Yep, I can definitely say I'm a jack fan!

36067557234_ac050c15a3_b.jpg

48441142506_a34eb1d5b5_b.jpg

25902849067_5d8b6b810e_b.jpg

I have a couple of single blade Case Swaybacks. I would love to find a 2-blade version, I would likely carry it a lot more frequently. One of my favorite Case patterns, I think.

Wow!!!! I LOVE the knives posted folks- Thank you Dylan....

I would consider this a Two 'Bladed" Jack all day my friend....and it get the job done very well!

GXtq5yW.jpg

If some don't, this one then, because Two Bladed Jacks rock!

09Mnogo.jpg

or.....

VaV8FpH.jpg

Holy Moly!
The Camillus equal end is a stunner.:thumbsup:
How big is it Duncan?
I was thinking that it looks a lot like a model 23

Michael

Two jacks from 1977 (Case XX three dot): on top a 62055 "cigar" jack in Delrin; on bottom a 6232 in bone. In 1978 the 6232 was replaced by the 62032, which we now call the "Texas" jack. I don't know if the '32 was ever so designated or not. (Steve Pfeiffer's book says it was sometimes known as a "gunstock" jack, which seems odd to me.) Both clip blades are very "pointy" and the shield on the '32 is pinned.

Interesting to note, it appears that over the years the shield convention has switched. Currently an oval around "Case" indicates synthetic covers, while in this era it indicated bone. The newer shields are also smaller.

48513570456_b041350fd0_b.jpg

Last edited:
Two jacks from 1977 (Case XX three dot): on top a 62055 "cigar" jack in Delrin; on bottom a 6232 in bone. In 1978 the 6232 was replaced by the 62032, which we now call the "Texas" jack. I don't know if the '32 was ever so designated or not. (Steve Pfeiffer's book says it was sometimes known as a "gunstock" jack, which seems odd to me.) Both clip blades are very "pointy" and the shield on the '32 is pinned.

48513570456_b041350fd0_b.jpg
Nice. I have a couple of the Texas Jack's from the '70. Production made knives don't get much better imo.

Back