An Old Knife Makes One Last Trip Home

Well, today I helped carry my grandmother to her final resting place. She lived to the ripe old age of 96, and passed peacefully on Christmas Eve. She lived a full and happy life, but she suffered from Alzheimer's for the last ten years or so, and while it was hard to see her go, I couldn't help but be happy that she was finally free of all that, and reunited with her husband, my grandfather, who has been gone a full twenty years now. (I was only in middle school when he died.)

The funeral was held in South Carolina, in the very small town where she was born and raised, at the same church where she was baptized 96 years ago. She was laid to rest beside her husband, and within sight of her parents and brother who went before her.

When I was packing for the trip, I started to take the brand new GEC Coyote I just got, to carry in my suit pocket for the funeral. But, then I had a better idea.

ce9226693943f9b2215d9f4ba46a48a2.jpg

This is my Grandaddy's Victorinox Recruit. It is one of several pocket knives he owned when he died, but it was the one I always remember him using. The scales were chewed up by a pet Dachshund who is now long gone. I hadn't even seen this knife for many years since he died, but I recently thought to ask my mom what had happened to all of his old folders. She said she had a few, and that I was welcome to take one if I wanted, so it has been mine for about a year now.

So, that chewed up old Recruit made one last trip back to its old stomping grounds, only in a different pocket. And it was with me as I carried the head of the casket, to bring Grandaddy's sweetheart back to him for good. I think he would be glad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm so sorry for your loss. This is, however sad, a beautiful story. What you did is such a wonderful way to remember her and your grandfather. I can only wish that one day I will have a grandson as caring and thoughtful as you.

I've never felt such unconditional love from so few words. Bless you and your family.

I'm so sorry for your loss. This is, however sad, a beautiful story. What you did is such a wonderful way to remember her and your grandfather. I can only wish that one day I will have a grandson as caring and thoughtful as you.

John said it so well, the beautiful well told story and sentiment, so sorry for your loss.

Sorry to hear about your grandmother, but it sounds like her spirit is free now.

Amazing how an ordinary knife can carry such strong memories with it.

Prayers for you and your family.

A perfect trip for a nice knife who watched the obvious love between those two over the years.

Nice story and a good remembrance of your grandfather. Perhaps you can pass he knife on to a family member who will appreciate it:thumbup:

What a bitter-sweet story. Sorry for your loss, but you're right that she's now free and back home where it all began. Thank you for sharing. Your grandpa would be very pleased I'm sure - well done. :thumbup:

That was nothing but a nice story, it sure has a place in the stories that have been told here in Traditionals, I think you made a great choice when choosing what knife to carry when you said goodbye to your Grandmother, nicely done.

Trout Hound, I'm sorry for your loss. My grandmother also suffered from Alzheimer's, so I can relate to the swirl of emotions facing you as you miss her but realize she's free of that torment and is now reunited with her beloved.

Thank you for sharing the story. Carrying that Recruit seems like the perfect way to honor both her and your grandfather.

That was a short yet very touching and emotional story. I'm glad you shared it here.

I am truly sorry for the loss of your grandmother! That's a real nice way to honor your grandfather by carrying his recruit! Thanks for sharing.

Condolences to you, Trout Hound. And thank you for sharing this touching story. I love every word of it.

Alex

Back