1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

An Old Knife Makes One Last Trip Home

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Trout Hound, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Wurrwulf

Wurrwulf Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    My condolences, Trout Hound. That was a very sweet gesture; one that would make any parent or grandparent proud. That old Vic has many stories within it. Treasure that.

2. deltaboy

deltaboy

Jul 6, 2014
    Sorry for your loss. I carried my Grandpa's knife to his Funeral back in 1999.

3. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Beautifully written Trouthound; my condolences on your loss. OH

4. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    My sincerest sympathies to you and your family for your loss. I hope that eventually good memories of your grandparents will overcome the sadness at their passing. IMHO from what your story indicates, you're a fabulous grandson, Trout Hound! :thumbup:

- GT

5. billsch8

billsch8

Oct 25, 2010
    I am so sorry for your loss Trouthound. That was a truly heartfelt and touching story. Wiping away a tear as I write this......................

6. on_the_edge

on_the_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Sorry for your family's loss. May your grandma RIP and thanks for sharing that amazing story.

7. Trout Hound

Trout Hound

Sep 28, 2014
    My sincere thanks to everyone for your sympathies and kind words. This is why I love it here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. orca8589

orca8589

Jan 27, 2007
    Condolences from Concord, and a great tribute as well.

~Chris

9. pertinux

pertinux

Feb 1, 2012
    Just to let you know, I've been thinking about your final paragraph, and the highlighted sentence in particular, since first reading it.

Very well done, on all fronts.

~ P.

10. Vaporstang

Vaporstang Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 8, 2014
    My condolences and touching story. LOL on the dachshund...probably mad at the time the knife was chewed but now one more warm memory.

11. Bufford

Bufford Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2006
    This is very touching, sorry for your loss.

12. Ratbert

Ratbert Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2016
    What a beautiful, heartfelt story. I echo what others have said and extend my condolences. But you are right, she is free now and reunited with her love. Very glad that you thought of your Granddad's knife to carry as a tribute.

(Perhaps one day your grandson will look at "that old Coyote that Granddad carried" and it too will evoke stories and memories for him to share)

13. arizcowboy

arizcowboy

May 6, 2013
    My condolences for your loss. My mom died at the same age a few years ago. Hoping this year will be a brighter one for you.

14. Trout Hound

Trout Hound

Sep 28, 2014
    Thanks. They were married for 53 years. Grandaddy was a quiet guy, but you could tell he loved her like crazy. As a matter of fact, their song was "Let Me Call You Sweetheart!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. willythekid

willythekid Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 19, 2011
    First off, so sorry for your loss... It sounds like your Grandmother lived a full life. Thanks for the wonderful story, and while I'm not the most religious man in the world, I can't help but think that Granddad was looking down on yourself and your family with a smile. Prayers sent from my family to yours.

16. runninmike

runninmike

Oct 19, 2005
    Beautiful tribute to Gram and Gramp!