An open letter to all Cold Steel Fans…

“I wonder why things have to change,” murmured Piglet.
Pooh thought for a while, then said, “It gives them a chance to get better.”

All things change, all things evolve.

This isn’t the first time Cold Steel has changed, but this feels vastly different and I’m struggling with what seems to be a turn toward a path less-desirable for the long-term fans of the brand.

This move made sense for those with a vested interest, and I hope the dollars were sufficient.

I hope to see an influx of new, eager customers…wanting that well-built value and attendant badassery upon which Cold Steel built their hard-wrought rep. Lynn’s baby is all grown up.

The current iteration has, however, removed so much of the nostalgia from the brand for me that I no longer enjoy my own Cold Steel knives as much.

I hope others do not feel the same.

Thanks for the amazing blades, Lynn.

Signed,

PatriotX, fan since 1981

I hope others do not feel the same.

There are a few good threads going about this topic, if you're curious how other fans feel.

I just bought the first two Cold Steel knives I've ever purchased from them. They're so good it makes me sad the company was sold because I think they're going in a direction I'm not a fan of. Get the real ones while you still can.

There are a few good threads going about this topic, if you're curious how other fans feel.

Thanks for those reads.

I feel my Cold Steel ship has sailed, and I’ll be looking to other manufacturers to fill the now-vacant niche.

Lynn, thanks again. For all of it.

I don't think you're going to end up being wrong, but I'm reserving judgement until I see their new additions for next year. I suspect the new lineup will confirm my fears, but I'm also not going to invest too much thought or emotion into it until I can say for sure what direction they're going.

Yet another related thread:

Cold Steel Appreciation Thread

I'm buying all the "Old Steel" knives I can afford, and I'm enjoying a lot. Whatever happens with CS in the future, that will not change.

OTOH (as you mentioned him), I don't see myself sending yet more money to Pooh (or Piglet or any other in the succession line). I know I'll still need "Pooh stuff" from time to time, but at least in certain areas I can do otherwise. Of course this is a personal option and a matter of (informed) choice.

I know it's only a drop in the ocean, but I feel better. And, at least in a sense, every drop counts.

It is disappointing, but in the end we’re talking about knives. My advice, get what you want while it’s still available. Be grateful that we had an opportunity to enjoy these well made, affordable knives from a quirky company that is both hated and admired by so many. Hate CS or love CS, it definitely made a mark on the knife world. I think a lot of things will become clearer when the 2022 offerings come out….staying hopeful but also being realistic.

I'm sad to say that for me, CS died when Camillus closed it's doors and stopped making their Carbon V blades for them. I have an old Carbon V Master Hunter that I truly love and wish I could get another one, but alas they are stupid expensive now...

Last edited:
Won’t dispute that the outcome of this, if not already set in stone, will not be to the liking of the Oldest Steel, Older Steel, and Old Steel consumers/fans.
Trying not to sound wet behind the ears here-have seen fair share of the corporate world but I’ll ask anyway….and perhaps someone can clarify this.

is it that GSM simply wanted to buy them out to eliminate competition and increase market share, as in capitalism 101? I have no issues with this either way as I have no skin in the game. Just a CS fan is all.

I feel this is a large enough event (with many corresponding tentacles) that warrants hearing from the many and varied sides of it.​

If anyone is interested in assisting me with pricing out my collection, please feel free to reach out; I could use the help.

Thanks.

If anyone is interested in assisting me with pricing out my collection, please feel free to reach out; I could use the help.

Thanks.
Might want to wait a few years .

I already see Cold Steel at auction , highlighted as being from "before the company was sold " , for a premium .

I personally value my CS collection EVEN MORE now . Emotionally and monetary both .

If you dump your vintage CS ,better be sure , because it will become ever harder to replace .

And remember Pooh's favorite day = TODAY !

Last edited:
What exactly has new CS done to diminish the brand??

I grieved as much as they next person until I realised they are the exact same knives being produced.

Does anyone actually have any data or evidence to support the "CS is fuct" theory....ACTUAL OBJECTIVE EVIDENCE???

If the answer is no and you are still pissing and moaning then I suggest you you go see a counselor and I most certainly do not mean that in a judgemental or derogatory way.

I started doubling up on CS knives because I literally thought there was going to be no tomorrow for them. Now I am just a dumbass with multiple copies of my favourite knives I will never even use. I could have spent money on something I actually needed.

TLDR; dont be a dumbass.

What exactly has new CS done to diminish the brand??

I grieved as much as they next person until I realised they are the exact same knives being produced.

Does anyone actually have any data or evidence to support the "CS is fuct" theory....ACTUAL OBJECTIVE EVIDENCE???

If the answer is no and you are still pissing and moaning then I suggest you you go see a counselor and I most certainly do not mean that in a judgemental or derogatory way.

I started doubling up on CS knives because I literally thought there was going to be no tomorrow for them. Now I am just a dumbass with multiple copies of my favourite knives I will never even use. I could have spent money on something I actually needed.

TLDR; dont be a dumbass.
I feel you should re-read the original post. Your choice of words is unnecessarily negative and inflammatory.

Back