An open letter to @hornetguy and @JB in LV

hornetguy hornetguy @JB in LV

First off I want to start off by saying if I should not be posting this in the traditional sub forum I apologize however I felt it was relevant to this sub forum because this is where I found these two wonderful gentlemen.

I am not an active member on blade forums whatsoever, I usually lurk knifeclub on reddit and occasionally post if I get a new knife (always a modern.) I recently began to wonder if my rough rider that I purchased two years ago on my wife and I honeymoon could be used for something more than a paperweight. I felt that when I looked at my small collection of knives, yes I have two knives that are close to $100 in value, but nothing that my kids are going to be proud of to receive when I hand it down.

I came on to blade forums to ask about if I could get a traditional in my budget range that I could put through the ringers. Knowing nothing about me, what I will use it for truly, what my past consists of, or if I am even somewhat deserving of receiving it, hornetguy hornetguy , you offered me my first true traditional knife. No strings attached, you just wanted to do something for someone else. It wasn't just any knife either, it's a knife that you felt based on my comments that I would potentially enjoy.

Fellow blade forums members, you would think that would be more than enough right? @JB in LV did not think so, he offered to send me a gift as well and thought it might go well with what hornetguy hornetguy offered. Again, no strings attached, just wanted to do something for someone else. I had no idea what he would be sending me however.

Two days later and I see both packaged arrived, I get home tonight and take them out of the mail, so excited, smiling ear to ear, somewhat worried this was all a joke and they were about to send some mail to end my wife of her misery (just kidding, hopefully i'm doing a decent job as a husband) and I open up the packages, and as I look through all of this...

I nearly had teary eyes, @JB in LV , you not only sent a complete stranger gifts, not cheap gifts either, but gifts you thought I would enjoy, and that you clearly really took the time and thought I would be able to get use out of and enjoy - compatible with hornetguy hornetguy gift. The thought you put into this, it was difficult not to cry, i'm stating that as another man. The ebony wood knife, stunning. Beautiful piece, 3 blades, the craftsmanship is so evident with this. This isn't just some knife, it's a work of art, truly. The case xx, it's hard to explain, but you know how when you know you know? I love everything about it. It feels so great in hand, it's a great looking knife, and it just seems to have that "X" factor, where you can't explain it but it's just the right knife for you.

hornetguy hornetguy The knife is beautiful, I had to do some research on this, because it seemed almost too good to be true. But this is real beer barrel "scales?" i'm not sure completely what these are called in the traditional knives, I know scales isn't the correct word though. This knife has taken everything I liked about the reason I purchased that rough rider when I knew nothing about knives at all, and taken all those good things to an entirely different level.

I want to personally thank you both so much, words can't truly do it justice but these three knives, and the beautiful leather GEC case, these will be handed down to my children, and hopefully to their children. These will be used. These will be appreciated. These will remind me daily of both of your kindness to a stranger.

To blade forums, I wanted this to be an open letter so you could enjoy this with me, and sometimes on forums it's easy to forget how real the other person is behind the username. These are real people, everyone in a different place, but you clearly have hard working, loving, kind people here, and I feel these are attributes that should not go unnoticed. I am going to attach the picture below, it's really a wonderful thing to hold these, open them, and there's just something there that makes me feel like this is how a knife was intended to be.

-ItsKYRO (Kyle)

Z5e6GHT.jpg

First off I want to start off by saying if I should not be posting this in the traditional sub forum I apologize however I felt it was relevant to this sub forum because this is where I found these two wonderful gentlemen.

I am not an active member on blade forums whatsoever, I usually lurk knifeclub on reddit and occasionally post if I get a new knife (always a modern.) I recently began to wonder if my rough rider that I purchased two years ago on my wife and I honeymoon could be used for something more than a paperweight. I felt that when I looked at my small collection of knives, yes I have two knives that are close to $100 in value, but nothing that my kids are going to be proud of to receive when I hand it down.

I came on to blade forums to ask about if I could get a traditional in my budget range that I could put through the ringers. Knowing nothing about me, what I will use it for truly, what my past consists of, or if I am even somewhat deserving of receiving it, hornetguy hornetguy , you offered me my first true traditional knife. No strings attached, you just wanted to do something for someone else. It wasn't just any knife either, it's a knife that you felt based on my comments that I would potentially enjoy.

Fellow blade forums members, you would think that would be more than enough right? @JB in LV did not think so, he offered to send me a gift as well and thought it might go well with what hornetguy hornetguy offered. Again, no strings attached, just wanted to do something for someone else. I had no idea what he would be sending me however.

Two days later and I see both packaged arrived, I get home tonight and take them out of the mail, so excited, smiling ear to ear, somewhat worried this was all a joke and they were about to send some mail to end my wife of her misery (just kidding, hopefully i'm doing a decent job as a husband) and I open up the packages, and as I look through all of this...

I nearly had teary eyes, @JB in LV , you not only sent a complete stranger gifts, not cheap gifts either, but gifts you thought I would enjoy, and that you clearly really took the time and thought I would be able to get use out of and enjoy - compatible with hornetguy hornetguy gift. The thought you put into this, it was difficult not to cry, i'm stating that as another man. The ebony wood knife, stunning. Beautiful piece, 3 blades, the craftsmanship is so evident with this. This isn't just some knife, it's a work of art, truly. The case xx, it's hard to explain, but you know how when you know you know? I love everything about it. It feels so great in hand, it's a great looking knife, and it just seems to have that "X" factor, where you can't explain it but it's just the right knife for you.

hornetguy hornetguy The knife is beautiful, I had to do some research on this, because it seemed almost too good to be true. But this is real beer barrel "scales?" i'm not sure completely what these are called in the traditional knives, I know scales isn't the correct word though. This knife has taken everything I liked about the reason I purchased that rough rider when I knew nothing about knives at all, and taken all those good things to an entirely different level.

I want to personally thank you both so much, words can't truly do it justice but these three knives, and the beautiful leather GEC case, these will be handed down to my children, and hopefully to their children. These will be used. These will be appreciated. These will remind me daily of both of your kindness to a stranger.

To blade forums, I wanted this to be an open letter so you could enjoy this with me, and sometimes on forums it's easy to forget how real the other person is behind the username. These are real people, everyone in a different place, but you clearly have hard working, loving, kind people here, and I feel these are attributes that should not go unnoticed. I am going to attach the picture below, it's really a wonderful thing to hold these, open them, and there's just something there that makes me feel like this is how a knife was intended to be.

-ItsKYRO (Kyle)

Z5e6GHT.jpg

Maybe you should spend more time on bladeforums. The people on this forum are extremely generous and giving. Many members on here have passed on knives which they felt others would enjoy.

Big respect to HornetGuy and JB.

Great going, hornet and JB, showin' up large for the Traditional group! Kyle, I really hope you consider buying a membership, which will get you the ability to send and receive PMs (Messages). Since we are not supposed to discuss the buying process in this subforum, many Traditional members do it through the private messaging. I cannot tell you how many times I wanted to PM someone to let them know about an opportunity, but could not because they weren't a paying member. You'll get your money's worth, I assure you.

Kyle, congrats on the fantastic knives you received!! :cool::cool::thumbsup: And thanks for sharing the story! :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

I've been a member of BF for just over 5 years, and spend most of my time in the Traditional sub-forum. What you've experienced is not at all uncommon here, and I've experienced it myself many times (as both "givee" and giver). When I first noticed this about the traditional sub-forum, I thought it must be some kind of weird phase of the moon or something, and kept waiting for the forum to devolve into the sort of contentious place I'd experienced almost everywhere else I'd frequented online. But it (almost :rolleyes:) never happens!!

hornetguy hornetguy and @JB in LV , accolades for your thoughtful generosity!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

- GT

Kyle, congrats on the fantastic knives you received!! :cool::cool::thumbsup: And thanks for sharing the story! :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

I've been a member of BF for just over 5 years, and spend most of my time in the Traditional sub-forum. What you've experienced is not at all uncommon here, and I've experienced it myself many times (as both "givee" and giver). When I first noticed this about the traditional sub-forum, I thought it must be some kind of weird phase of the moon or something, and kept waiting for the forum to devolve into the sort of contentious place I'd experienced almost everywhere else I'd frequented online. But it (almost :rolleyes:) never happens!!

hornetguy hornetguy and @JB in LV , accolades for your thoughtful generosity!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

- GT
" We are just blokes and gals who like knives"

-ItsKYRO (Kyle)

Z5e6GHT.jpg
Way to go, JB & hornetguy! That's wonderful, Kyle. Those are super knives! Lot of generous folk here.

Thanks for all the kind words guys... I'm glad that we were both at a point where we could do this. I've been there, where there wasn't any way I could justify buying something I wanted.. I've been blessed so much through life, that I am happy to be able to help what little I can... I imagine JB feels the same way.
Lots of great folks here on the porch, Kyle...nearly any of them will do anything they can to help along...

Back