An SGU as a paring knife

cvc

I've got the bug for a new knife, and since the majority of my knife usage is either whittling or food prep, (and I have plenty of whittling knives,) I'm going to order a paring knife!

A while back, John came up with the idea of an Element SGU (Small Game and Utility) here:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/element-series.1356143/page-3

I'm thinking an SGU with a 3 1/2" blade of 1/16th" 440C stainless and the the longer Element Hunter handle of teak with 1/8" brass pins would be a very useful and comfortable paring knife.

I have two concerns. I don't have any experience with 1/16th" stock with a scandvex grind or teak as handle material. Does 1/16th" stock slice fruit and vegetables without splitting them or causing them to fly off the cutting board? Is teak durable for minimal exposure to water and not be slippery when wet?

Thanks for your thoughts.

I know there are several here with 1/16" O1 blades, hopefully they will chime in. I know Connie uses her 1/16" chefs knife all the time, with no issues. I will also be starting the Improved Bowie pass around soon. Teak is durable but I'm not sure how slippery it is, I'm a micarta guy.

I had planned on my next knife in maple burl but because teak is used on boats thought it might be a better choice for a kitchen knife. Micarta is the better choice, but the natural look of wood is very apealing to me. May have to rethink this...

Q78Sxhrl.jpg

I ordered this stretched worker in 1/16 O1 for kitchen duty and it gets used a lot. John's grind on the thin O1 makes for an excellent slicer. Osage is a very dense wood and it probably wouldn't have been a problem for a while, but the grain did raise after lots of rinsing. I applied a few more coats of BLO and went over the handles with 000 steel wool and it's great. The only issue with food jumping has been the occasional carrot, which I find is often unavoidable if chopping carrots.

Thanks for the information. It sounds like the blade thickness and grind will be fine, but the teak could be an issue down the road.

Have you considered John's Bird & Trout knife? I'm at work and can't post pics but I love mine. It feels good in hand and slices great.

I have a 3/32" B&T with a convex grind in O1. I'm hoping the thinner SGU will be a better slicer and have a larger handle for extended kitchen use. I'm also going to go with micarta for the handle.

I bet the longer handle and 3/32 would make a good kitchen knife or parry knife.

I have both knives from the JK Kitchen Series - both are 1/16 01 and are great slicers.

Note the paring knife.

DSC_1354.JPG

best

mqqn

In my never humble opinion, you won't find a better paring knife than this one.
hzGKG6X.jpg

Back