An ugly Khukuri Contest challenge for those who enjoy BIG knives

not2sharp

Platinum Member
Want to play... :)

We like to chop. Well lets see some of your favorite choppers. I want to see some of the biggest knives/swords on these forums, and just to make it more interesting let's turn it into a contest.

Rules:

The objective of this game is to be last player to out do the competition by posting a photo of the Widest, Longest, or Thickest knife on these forums.

* but read this meassage carefully first *

How it works:
1) This game is open to those 18 years of age and over. By entering this game you are certifying that you have reached your 18th birthday.

2) I am going to start us off by post a picture of a knife. The winner of this contest will get to keep that knife, but you are going to have to play by the rules to win.

3) Each knife model can only appear on this thread once. Once someone puts up a picture of an 18" AK Khukuri, no other 18" AKs can be posted. Even if your example was made by a different maker, or differs in handle materials, it would still be disqualified.

4) Each post must:
a) Include a picture of the knife
b) Provide the Overall Length (OAL) of the knife (less sheath),
Maximum width(Edge to spine), and Maximum Thickness (of the bare
blade stock - not the handle, sheath or anything else).
c) State the dimension on which you win. For your entry to be
accepted it must be BIGGER than the previous entry along one of
these dimensions, and it cannot be BIGGER along the same
dimension as the previous entry.

Example:[/b}

Entry for knife "A" reads: OAL= 15 inches, Width= 1.7 inches, Thickness= 1/4" - win on Length

Wins: Knife "B", OAL=10 inches, width=2 inches, thickness=1/8 inches- win on width

- Or -
Wins: Knife "B" OAL=10, width=1.5 inches, thickness 5/16 inch - win on thickness.

Disqualified: Knife "B" OAL=20 inches, width=2 inches, thickness= 5/16 inches - win on length*

* remember you cannot win along the same dimension as the previous entry. If Knife "A" won on length you must win on one of the other two dimensions.

5) Disqualified knives may be posted again. But someone may barrow your photo and post it as their entry, so be careful. Knives are only compared against the immediately preceeding qualified entry. So plan your strategy carefully. If someone makes a mistake and gets their knife disqualified, it might also disqualify your entry. So check the previous post carefully. :D

6) So what is a knife/sword? For our purposes as long as the blade is longer than the handle, intended to be used as a hand tool (eg no 50 foot machine blades), and the "knife" can take a cutting edge, its allowed.

7) Contest starts when I post a picture and ends Friday April 26th at 7PM.

8) Prize will be shipped ConUS. Winners beyond this area will be responsible for additional freight.

==================================================

O.K.

Here is the first entry (and giveaway):

Ontario Spec Plus Khukuri
Length: 16 Inch
Width: 2 Inch
Thickness: 1/4 inch
Win on: Length

n2s

Well, I got me a Del Tin repro of a 14th century hand-and-a-half sword that runs to 30" in the blade; and a home-brewed zweyhander built around the Kris Cutlery broadsword blade that makes the Del Tin look like a letter-opener...

The Del Tin, BTW, is a nice sword, with good balance for its size. The moonshiner handles like a dead cow and can best be described as a good idea at the time.

Does the forum restrict basic members from posting pics? :confused: Seems to me there's a way to do it, but I don't know what it is. Any help from the pros would be greatly appreciated.

Another annoying question: With regards to rule #3

3) Each knife model can only appear on this thread once. Once someone puts up a picture of an 18" AK Khukuri, no other 18" AKs can be posted. Even if your example was made by a different maker, or differs in handle materials, it would still be disqualified.

How do you want to round off the length increments? For example, I have about five different HI models that are listed as 18" models, but they vary considerably in length. Where should we draw the line?

For the sake of simplicity, I'd define a model length as plus or minus a half inch, so an 18" AK would cover the gamut from 17.5" to 18.4". Or maybe you may want to amend that rule differently to avoid confusion. Sorry if this opens up a can of worms, didn't mean to.

EDIT: Come to think of it, this probably doesn't matter anyway.

It looks like Rob figured it out - let's see who can post a picture of something Longer than 20"s or wider than 2 and 3/8"s? Around this neighborhood it shouldn't be too hard to find something. :)

n2s

BTW, that takes care of the 20" AK khukuri, so get creative, there are plenty of knives out there.

Could it be a sword instead? In the beginning of your post, you said Knives/Swords?

If so, here is one:

OAL=44 inches, Width=1 3/4, thickness=.29 inchs - win on length

Original GRS #2 by Ganga Ram Bishwakarma hisownself - LOA 21 3/4"; width 2 13/16"; thickness 1/2". Win on: WIDTH

Attachments

• grs.jpg
    grs.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 326
Ok, I tried really hard to show you the largest knhuk in my collection but this is all I could scan in my 12" long flatbed scanner - and it is useless now (the scanner, not the khuk)...
Now where is the prize? :D
Sorry Enrique but I couldn't resist to post this...

Attachments

• cho.jpg
    cho.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 308
Bill,

Either knives or swords, it doesn't have to be a khukuri. BTW, what was that it looks Chinese?

n2s

Berk,
We are gonna have to get together sometime for a Mini convention. (Honestly I just want to see an origional Ganga Ram);)

Ok, I tried really hard to show you the largest knhuk in my collection but this is all I could scan in my 12" long flatbed scanner - and it is useless now (the scanner, not the khuk)...

Ivan,

Don't laugh yet JP might just come up with something that BIG. :D

n2s

N2S,

Yes, this started life as a giant jian called a "Horse Killer." Originally over 5 feet long (counting original grip and pommel), a huge two handed sword.

About a foot of the point was broken off and reshaped. You can tell by the front most "star," it is 'way too close to the point. The blade has been remounted long ago.

Sheathed it now looks like something that the water carriers would use with a bucket on each end, or a fighting staff.

Including scabbard it is a little over 48"

BTW when John Powell sees this thread, I predict that he will haul out a Ram Dao or a Kora and we can all go home!

Enclosed a picture of a real and complete Horse Killer and my little sword beside it in the upper left corner.

Bill

Bill,

You may want to enter that one at some point. That's nice.

n2s

But I am trying to buy it from the present owner.

Here is a picture of me holding it with the point on the floor. I am over 6 feet tall. The (present) owner's hand is on it with me, I cut him off! Heh heh!

Bill in Japanese fireman kimono, they soaked these heavy cotton kimonos in water and then wore them to put out fires. Japan using them about 60 years ago. Now availble (sometimes) on ebay!

Back