An ugly Khukuri Contest challenge for those who enjoy BIG knives

Hi Uncle,

I'd ask the dust bunnies for something but they don't understand the rules, either.

Just do as Berk has. This is the latest entry:

Original GRS #2 by Ganga Ram Bishwakarma hisownself - LOA 21 3/4"; width 2 13/16"; thickness 1/2". Win on: WIDTH

Just add a picture of a knife, the three dimensions LOA, width, and thickness, and tell us whether you want to compete on Thickness, or Length (Berk already too width on his post).

Berk has told us he wants to "Win on: WIDTH", so you have to challenge his knife on length or thickness. I am sure the dust bunnies can turn up a knife longer than 21-3/4 inches. :D

n2s

I challenge on bottle opening capability of the cho.

OAL 4"
thickness 3/16
width 5/8
weight 1.6 ounces
edge style -- none
Rc -- about 60 -- file won't cut it.

Am I going to order some? No.

Attachments

• bottle opener khukuri.jpg
    bottle opener khukuri.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 292
This is a Nayar Indian Temple sword, around the 17th century. It was used in a cermony to induce the Goddess Chamunda to enter the body of a priest in trance and then she speaks and acts through him.

Chamunda is one of the most important forms of the Goddess in tantra. She is quite wrathful - in the sense that she has a menacing appearance, wields weapons, and enjoys blood offerings.

Only the Goddesses who carry weapons and swords are offered blood. When the Goddess comes she acts as an oracle - dispensing information and advice, which can be solicited or unsolicited and quite cryptic. She also was likely to have banished malevolent entities who were effecting the locals through possession, sickness, crop failures, etc.

It is very sharp and the tip has been damaged. It is one of my most prized items. If you have an interest, email me.

OAL=27.5 inches; Width 8 inches; thickness .45 inches. Win on width.

Am I going to order some? No.

Uncle, taunts us.... :D

Bill,

I guess someone has to ask. Who's blood was offered, did this sword collect it, and are we talking about a couple of drops or something more permanent? :eek:

BTW, great sword.

n2s

The sword took it and it was not just a few drops, it was much more permanent. I am curious about whether it was human or animal. I will find out. These rituals are very beautiful, reverant and serious acts for the participants.

Regarding that, my friend in Kathmandu wrote me:

"The ritual takes place in Kerala and the mediums become possessed by various forms of the Goddess. These are typically very wrathful forms of the Devi such as Smashan Tara, Chamunda, Chinnamasta, etc. This is a very ancient rite, and they are well aware of the dangers of mediumship, viz. imposter astrals trying to slip in the mix. They have all that covered and anyone less than the Goddess herself would probably wish they had not tried to get involved, after all the Goddess no doubt enjoys the "play" and usually there is blood involved so She wouldn't take kindly to some petty little spirit trying to get what has rightfully been offered to Her."

On the way to the smashan
Bill

Picture of Chanunda

blindfolded, against an unknown number of opponents, without knowing what pieces any of them has to play:eek:
Paul Chen Hanwei "Godfred" Viking replica. LOA: 34.5"; width: 1.75"; thickness: 3/8". Win on: Length

Attachments

• viking_sword.jpg
    viking_sword.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 133
WWI Maharaja of Jodhpur khukuri: LOA: 18.5", Width: 2.25", thickness: 3/8". win on width

wwi-raja-01.jpg

Don't know how to play, how can win or lose, but we are all winners in that some really good and interesting stuff is showing up. Thanks for good motivator, n2s.

For your entry to be accepted it must be BIGGER than the previous entry along one of these dimensions, and it cannot be BIGGER along the same dimension as the previous entry.
OK - previous winner is LOA 12", width 2", thickness 1/2"; wins on length over the previous 10"-long entrant. Next challenger is LOA 15", width 1", thickness 1" [the proverbial sharpened prybar :)]. Win is claimed on Thickness. Is it a winner, or is it disqualified because it is "BIGGER along the same dimension" [i.e. length] "as the previous entry"?
Enquiring - and devious - minds want to know;)

all the off-topic posts have gotten even me confused. Bill Marsh's temple sword claimed a win on width, same as the preceeding entry, my GRS. Bill's sword is disqualified, so is my Viking, and so is Ben's Maharajah of Jodhpur kukri. I'm still the winner, Bwa-hah-hah!

Uh, right?:confused:

OK - previous winner is LOA 12", width 2", thickness 1/2"; wins on length over the previous 10"-long entrant. Next challenger is LOA 15", width 1", thickness 1" [the proverbial sharpened prybar ]. Win is claimed on Thickness. Is it a winner, or is it disqualified because it is "BIGGER along the same dimension" [i.e. length] "as the previous entry"?

It LOA 15" knife win on thickness. The other two measurements are only relevant for the next play. What the 15 inch knife cannot do is compete in length. If the player had claimed a win based on the 15" AOL it would have been disqualified. It has to win on one of the catagories not used by the previous player.

n2s

Originally posted by Berkley
all the off-topic posts have gotten even me confused. Bill Marsh's temple sword claimed a win on width, same as the preceeding entry, my GRS. Bill's sword is disqualified, so is my Viking, and so is Ben's Maharajah of Jodhpur kukri. I'm still the winner, Bwa-hah-hah!

Uh, right?:confused:

Wait, no, because Uncle Bill's khukuri bottle-opener intervenes between ;)

If I don't win for the best bottle opener cho I am going to delete this entire thread -- and maybe Bladeforums. I'm thinking about a way to delete the world. I am a poor loser.

Here are all the entries thus far.

Summary (as of 04-20-2002 11:39 PM)
beoram, is in the lead, and Bill Marsh's entry was disqualified (although Disqualified knives may be posted again. But someone may barrow your photo and post it as their entry, so be careful.). We are doing fine, although Uncle's Really BIG Cho post got us a little excited.

n2s
===========================
(1) N2S
Ontario Spec Plus Khukuri
Length: 16 Inch
Width: 2 Inch
Thickness: 1/4 inch
Win on: Length
Pic:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1642417

(2)Mauirob (20" AK Khukuri)
OAL=20" Width= 2 3/8" Thickness=5/8" WIN ON THICKNESS
Pic:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1642478

(3)Bill Marsh
OAL=44 inches, Width=1 3/4, thickness=.29 inchs - win on length
Pic:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1642581

(4)Berkley
Original GRS #2 by Ganga Ram Bishwakarma hisownself - LOA 21 3/4"; width 2 13/16"; thickness 1/2". Win on: WIDTH
Pic:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1642591

(5)Posted by Uncle Bill (Disqualified - had to challenge on length or thickness - cool piece though)
I challenge on bottle opening capability of the cho.
OAL 4"
thickness 3/16
width 5/8
Pic:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1643143

(6)Posted By Bill Marsh (Disqualified - had to challenge on length or thickness - cool piece though)
OAL=27.5 inches; Width 8 inches; thickness .45 inches. Win on width
Pic:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1643235

(7)Posted by Berkley
Paul Chen Hanwei "Godfred" Viking replica. LOA: 34.5"; width: 1.75"; thickness: 3/8". Win on: Length
Pic:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1643367

(8)posted by beoram
WWI Maharaja of Jodhpur khukuri: LOA: 18.5", Width: 2.25", thickness: 3/8". win on width
Pic:
http://www.cog.jhu.edu/~slade/khuk/WWI-raja/wwi-raja-01.jpg

...but I have the UGHliest Khukuri - a prize in one of John Powell's contests. Fortunately, I am unable to post pics or specs - John forbade pics, and when I try to lay a tape on it, the tape just curls up and the numbers fall off. But it does have a genuine horn handle - from the horn button of an old Tatra truck.

shhh..... psst Uncle Bill..... if you happen to swipe your name sakes disqualified entry (#6)and post it for Length you would be in the lead. Perhaps you understand the rules just a little too well.... hmmmm.

Back