...And a large Coke. GEC 97 Thread!

B B.F.U I think you'll find that's a Banner shield? Big spectacular shield especially suited to a big wooden handle, also found on Congress type patterns, large Bareheads etc.

Regards, Will

Thanks Will! I think I've seen it on an old Maher & Grosh coke bottle and it's on the #98 Texas Camp Knife from @waynorth

Which is probably why they have a scaled up version!

Seeing this picture is exciting, waiting for mine to come. Are they not etching the Yellow Rose logo on the blade? That would be a disappointment...

Seeing this picture is exciting, waiting for mine to come. Are they not etching the Yellow Rose logo on the blade? That would be a disappointment...
That may happen towards the end of the process :thumbsup:

Got my Ebony yesterday, just got around to opening the package.
Here are my thoughts to add:

-Pull to half-stop is a 3
-Pull from HS to open is a 5
-Jet black ebony
-Fit and finish is super, very nice work all around.

Impressive!

Thanks waverave, I didn't know at what point in the process this was done.

First off is an observation, not a critique. The 97 is not that large... more like medium.

New York Knife Co, GEC, Camillus
2QtbwY7.jpg

4rTdpJv.jpg

PkoAhvC.jpg

Finish is excellent.
169H4as.jpg

Fit is very good. I'd say excellent fit if not for an off-center blade... which I chalk up to a QC miss.
qg8jFgo.jpg

There's been previous discussion about the pull and walk and talk. I'll add my 2 cents:

The pull is not as light as I thought it would be based on reading previous posts... just a hair lighter than the three 43s I own. And lighter still than the pictured Camillus Coke bottle and the Camillus is by no means a nail breaker. (I'm using the long pull to open, not the nail nick as it wouldn't be a fair comparison otherwise). The 97's pull is stronger than the NYKC, but the NYKC is a lockback.

The walk is smooth and the talk is fairly satisfying... not as strong/loud as on the Camillus and NYKC.

The spring is not as stout as the Camillus, but stout enough. I won't be concerned about the spine accidently making contact with another object and the blade closing on my fingers while doing cutting chores. It would take a really good whack against something to move the blade from the fully open position and then it would have to get past the half stop.

I like this knife.

Grade: A-

I've got one more coming because, as a member of the Syndicate, it is my solemn duty.

g7sP9Lg.jpg

IMG_3878.JPG
Ebony 97 arrived this evening. Wow this thing is a beast in comparison to a 14. Fit and finish is incredible. The ebony is nice and dark, no streaks. The pull is a bit light but smooth, feels good with a bit of snap into the half stop, open, and closed positions. GEC really has nailed it on this run.

I finally got my GEC 97's herded up for a couple snaps...…. I don't have the micarta version yet..... Not sure whether I'm going to get one or not..... But I really want to get a stag & a yellow rose..... I've been very pleased with them thus far....Really beautiful knives and wonderful workmanship...…..tri one.jpg Tri two.jpg Tri three.jpg

As predicted, after working it and letting it sit heavily lubed for the better part of a week, the action on my #97 has improved. The pull is now about 4, and the wall & talk isn't nearly as shy anymore, it even chats a little to me now. Pull is smooth, silly smooth.

That said, I still can't get past the light pull, as I had intentions of using this knife as it's design is intended. Woods work. Rope cutting. Light wood work. Hunting work, gutting and skinning deer. And I just don't feel comfortable doing that with a knife that had a pull so light, and a blade that has sooo much leverage. If my Texas Rose had a pull this light, I'd be ok with it, as I intend to put that one away. But I got a Tidioute as a user and this is pretty much just an darn good looking, 5 ounce, $110+ apple slicer/letter opener.

I appreciate the worksmanship GEC put into this knife, dont get me wrong. Its useability is just extremely limited, to me.

I am curious why the stag versions are being produced before the yellow bone and the C. Campagna SFO?

In the few years I have followed GEC I do not recall stag being made until the end of each model run..... maybe just a late shipment of cover materials? Conspiracy? Harbinger?

Back