...And a large Coke. GEC 97 Thread!

I just got my Yellow Rose to complete my triple play. All three have have excellent f&f with pulls about 5. The strangest thing is I received pins with each of them. For me, that's a rarity. The Yellow Rose came with a standard 97 pin instead of a YR. My only complaint and it's a strange one is how much oil did they ship these with? All three were dripping in oil.
I wasn't planning on keeping all three but it will be hard to let any of them go.
View attachment 1115719 View attachment 1115720 View attachment 1115721

Beautiful set!

I just ordered one of waynorth waynorth SFOs. Something about that big banner shield I couldn’t resist. What are the chances Charlie convinced them to put a stouter spring in there for his run? :D
It’s a nice piece either way but I’ll be let down if it doesn’t have some action.

my yellow rose also arrived and it has by far the best action of the 97's I received.

very nicely made, blade centered, nice color bone, shield is perfect, well done GEC.

I just got my Yellow Rose to complete my triple play. All three have have excellent f&f with pulls about 5. The strangest thing is I received pins with each of them. For me, that's a rarity. The Yellow Rose came with a standard 97 pin instead of a YR. My only complaint and it's a strange one is how much oil did they ship these with? All three were dripping in oil.
I wasn't planning on keeping all three but it will be hard to let any of them go.

When I visited the factory in 11/2018 I bought my first GEC knife from Bill..... The knife didn't have the amount of lube that he deemed necessary so he excused himself to lube the knife before putting it in the tube for me...… When he returned I asked him what kind of lube he used and he said "Waylube"...…… To anyone outside of machining trades that means nothing.... But for those who were shop rats, such as myself, it was commonly used on the ways of lathes and machine tools to prevent rust and provide lubricity.... It typically looks like heavy, dark honey and has a very high viscosity...… He coats the knives to prevent any issues with corrosion until time of sale...…...

Mark side
LiIkt3o.jpg

Pile side
YT1xuyP.jpg

I like it!

On the other hand, the Yellow Rose I received was a disappointment. Worst dye job I've seen in the Yellow Rose series... kinda lemon & white. Oh well, I'll try to find one that's true to the series.

Some nice looking stag guy’s. Received mine but yet to take pictures, no time to do anything right now.

Russell

WOW !!!:):):thumbsup::thumbsup::D The Cream of the 97's IMHO .

Harry

Mark side
LiIkt3o.jpg

Pile side
YT1xuyP.jpg

I like it!

On the other hand, the Yellow Rose I received was a disappointment. Worst dye job I've seen in the Yellow Rose series... kinda lemon & white. Oh well, I'll try to find one that's true to the series.
Some Real Character in those covers my friend !!!! Sorry to hear about your Yellow Rose Al .

Harry

I’m pretty new to this and I’m not sure what qualifies as good/bad drag, but I got my 97 yesterday and I’m pretty pumped. Besides a couple small scratches on the blade I love it. The weight of it in my hand is probably my favorite attribute.

While my initial Tidioute bone 97 was a bit of a disappointment in terms of pull and action, my Ebony was better in this regard and my stag better yet. While pulls still are on the soft side, 4-5 range, the action is a little firmer and I consider them acceptable to me. Build quality on all is outstanding. Pretty happy with my stag choice as well.
E14AC18E-CA2F-49C5-970E-351CF633B27B.jpeg A3538FD2-3D50-46F5-B441-A0EA8C294527.jpeg

Alright, which one of you all bought up all of Charlie’s SFOs?

I was really hoping to score a black 97 but the cloud shield just doesn’t do it for me. My only hope was getting in on one of Charlie’s.

They were gone in what seemed like seconds. I refuse to pay the secondary prices folks are going to be trying to sell them for so it looks like I missed out.

It was a short run - only 100, Brent. And most dealers are just getting them in the mail!
I hope to see some posts soon!!
The Stags are looking good!!

It was a short run - only 100, Brent. And most dealers are just getting them in the mail!
I hope to see some posts soon!!
The Stags are looking good!!
Thanks for that Charlie. You had some gorgeous 97’s made that’s for sure. I got the KSF notification and just wasn’t fast enough. I’ll do my best to keep checking your other dealers and hopefully I’ll be able to grab one. I did managed to grab a nice stag and you’re correct, it’s a fabulously good looking knife.

Last edited:
Back