...And a large Coke. GEC 97 Thread!

Thanks for enjoying them with me Al, Dwight, Harry, robbobus and Barry!!

At last!! I got my grubby fingers on my SFO #97!! First of all the Snap is fine!! I tested a random sampling before I shipped them out, and they were definitely acceptable. I am prejudiced toward strong walk and talk, and they could be stronger, but they left me feeling confident in a good functional open position. Phew!!
So, in the strongest of sunlight, most of the handles display the barest of brown tinges in the Black, making them feel lively and warm. The wood is buttery with a high polish - I couldn't be happier!! And the shield works!! And the grinds are great!! And! And!! And!!! Yowza!!!
View attachment 1118154 View attachment 1118155 View attachment 1118156

Charlie,
Your 97 African Blackwood is like a piece of fine jewelry..... The entire concept is truly hitting on all 8 cylinders...… A treasure for which you should be very proud of...…...

I finally got all my 97’s in yesterday afternoon! I am happy with each one. They are an incredible value for the cost and they filled a void that existed in my collection. The fit and finish on my three examples are all spot on. Straight from the tube each one would snap open and closed with no problem. A quick flush with mineral and they are now smooth as silk! I will make one comment and it’s not really a negative. When I first took my Waynorth out of the tube I was disappointed in the covers. They are more chocolate brown than black. After I wiped the knife down and examined the knife more closely I began to change my mind! The covers are a beautiful color with the grain showing through as black against the brown overtones. I think it’s a beautiful knife. I was only going to buy the Ebony, but I’m glad I added the others. You will have to forgive the shadows because I couldn’t wait to take these photos! :)

32797745977_8b54f64638_b_d.jpg

32797746017_f5fef4f8b2_b_d.jpg

I finally got all my 97’s in yesterday afternoon! I am happy with each one. They are an incredible value for the cost and they filled a void that existed in my collection. The fit and finish on my three examples are all spot on. Straight from the tube each one would snap open and closed with no problem. A quick flush with mineral and they are now smooth as silk! I will make one comment and it’s not really a negative. When I first took my Waynorth out of the tube I was disappointed in the covers. They are more chocolate brown than black. After I wiped the knife down and examined the knife more closely I began to change my mind! The covers are a beautiful color with the grain showing through as black against the brown overtones. I think it’s a beautiful knife. I was only going to buy the Ebony, but I’m glad I added the others. You will have to forgive the shadows because I couldn’t wait to take these photos! :)

Oh, that dark brown is gorgeous. Now I'm going to be disappointed if mine is black. (not really, it looks killer either way)

HS, your collection of 97’s is fantastic. Charlie’s knife is extra special.
Larry

That is an outstanding trio Ron . I have to agree with you on getting some pretty nice Stag . Charlie's 97 in African Blackwood shows some pretty nice grain in it . Your Ebony has some very nice solid looking black in it and to top it all off you even got The Allegheny and Waynorth pins . Heck of a Deal my friend Heck of a Deal . You Done Good . I had to look at that pretty Stag again before I posted this .:):):):thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Harry

That is an outstanding trio Ron . I have to agree with you on getting some pretty nice Stag . Charlie's 97 in African Blackwood shows some pretty nice grain in it . Your Ebony has some very nice solid looking black in it and to top it all off you even got The Allegheny and Waynorth pins . Heck of a Deal my friend Heck of a Deal . You Done Good . I had to look at that pretty Stag again before I posted this .:):):):thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Harry
Thank you very much my friend! I was only going to get the Ebony Northfield but I couldn’t resist the Stag and Charlie’s after seeing the photos posted by others. I feel very fortunate to have this trio of beauties! I’m very pleased with the Stag. It’s very nice in hand with the scales being well matched in thickness. Overall it’s very nice Stag! Charlie’s 97 is just a classic! The pattern and the shield are so well matched it looks like a 100 year old knife. I really think that Great Eastern Cutlery hit a home run with these! :) :thumbsup:

Ron, those look great! Half/Stop Half/Stop

I will be getting my AMKCA #97 this Sunday. I haven't seen any posted, not that I expected to, so it's gonna be a little bit of a surprise to see how they actually turned out... yellow jigged or autumn gold jigged.

Ron, those look great! Half/Stop Half/Stop

I will be getting my AMKCA #97 this Sunday. I haven't seen any posted, not that I expected to, so it's gonna be a little bit of a surprise to see how they actually turned out... yellow jigged or autumn gold jigged.
Thanks for the compliment! I look forward to seeing the AMKCA #97. :)

Back