...And a large Coke. GEC 97 Thread!

I finally got all my 97’s in yesterday afternoon! I am happy with each one. They are an incredible value for the cost and they filled a void that existed in my collection. The fit and finish on my three examples are all spot on. Straight from the tube each one would snap open and closed with no problem. A quick flush with mineral and they are now smooth as silk! I will make one comment and it’s not really a negative. When I first took my Waynorth out of the tube I was disappointed in the covers. They are more chocolate brown than black. After I wiped the knife down and examined the knife more closely I began to change my mind! The covers are a beautiful color with the grain showing through as black against the brown overtones. I think it’s a beautiful knife. I was only going to buy the Ebony, but I’m glad I added the others. You will have to forgive the shadows because I couldn’t wait to take these photos! :)

32797745977_8b54f64638_b_d.jpg

32797746017_f5fef4f8b2_b_d.jpg

You will find that, like cocobolo, african blackwood often darkens significantly over time. If it gets regular carry and use, in a few years it may well be as black as the ebony. And really high quality african blackwood that is pitch black often has a purplish cast.

Well, I have 1 last 97 on its way to me...…. When it gets here, my group will be complete & I'll get a better photo...……. This is the familyView attachment 1122093 so far...… I've been very pleased with all of them.... They all have subtle differences in walk and talk, but that adds some personality to them...…….. I think GEC did a wonderful job on these 97's...….. Thanks to everyone who made these knives available....
Beautiful, but that's not ALL of the 97s 2 more are still to come, good luck on completing the full set, looking good so far.

You will find that, like cocobolo, african blackwood often darkens significantly over time. If it gets regular carry and use, in a few years it may well be as black as the ebony. And really high quality african blackwood that is pitch black often has a purplish cast.

Lambertiana, the pile side of the one I posted shows the purplish cast, first thing I thought when I noticed it was eggplant.

IMG_0234.jpg

My okca club knife came in yesterday. My only complaints are the size which I knew when i bought it, and it doesn’t have much of a snap when fully opened. Both minor, and worst case I can always trade it later. That said, I think it looks great :)
EdtstsxAUPg2yE7JA

M8gCDe2l.jpg

Here's the 2019 AMKCA club knife! It did end up being autumn gold jigged bone. I actually like the bone a lot more than I expected to.

Mine doesn't have a strong pull, probably a 4.5, but it has great action with nice walk and talk. Well centered with no play also.

Last edited:
I am new to posting here although I have followed some threads. I am a regular on the Spyderco forum (MichaelScott) but since getting into Great Eastern Cutlery and traditionals I plan to post here now and then.

I have a Yellow Rose coming this week. Being a native Texan it has special meaning to me. I will figure out how to post photos and report on it. I also have a couple of #25 Barlows coming and. Pemberton in my pocket.

I am new to posting here although I have followed some threads. I am a regular on the Spyderco forum (MichaelScott) but since getting into Great Eastern Cutlery and traditionals I plan to post here now and then.

I have a Yellow Rose coming this week. Being a native Texan it has special meaning to me. I will figure out how to post photos and report on it. I also have a couple of #25 Barlows coming and. Pemberton in my pocket.
Welcome to the Porch Mayonardo Mayonardo :) You jumped right into some beautiful knives! Hope to see you around...enjoy :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Welcome to the Porch Mayonardo Mayonardo :) You jumped right into some beautiful knives! Hope to see you around...enjoy :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thank you, sir. I had a small number of Great Eastern Cutlery knives last year, but had to divest the overall “collection” of knives. Lately I have been able to restart it. I’m concentrating on Great Eastern Cutlery and Spyderco knives. They are both fine examples of radically different design philosophies and manufacturing techniques.

For essentially hand made knives I don’t think Great Eastern Cutlery can be beat. I think the GEC knife I miss the most is the Cocobolo American Jack. Someday I will stumble upon one I’m sure.

Thank you, sir. I had a small number of Great Eastern Cutlery knives last year, but had to divest the overall “collection” of knives. Lately I have been able to restart it. I’m concentrating on Great Eastern Cutlery and Spyderco knives. They are both fine examples of radically different design philosophies and manufacturing techniques.

For essentially hand made knives I don’t think Great Eastern Cutlery can be beat. I think the GEC knife I miss the most is the Cocobolo American Jack. Someday I will stumble upon one I’m sure.

Welcome to the porch. I’m fairly new myself. I may be able to help you with that 78. Email me at LSUFANSBC at Gmail dot com.

My #97 Allegheny Yellow Rose arrived today. Now, that's a knife! If there's a flaw I haven't found it. Nevertheless, when I opened the tube for the 1st time I was crestfallen when, once again, I didn't receive a button. I'm convinced I have the worst luck when it comes to GEC buttons.

0AFIzQY.jpg

Brian

Just received this morning, a bit disappointing, other side of the knife finish is decent, this side is pretty rough the couple farm & fields I have look better. That is not a shadow blade is sorta two tone cloudy looking, and the blade graphic is pretty light?

My question, is this normal?, acceptable? Love the knife, but finish is pretty poor on this side of blade.

3Ox8n8M.jpg

Just received this morning, a bit disappointing, other side of the knife finish is decent, this side is pretty rough the couple farm & fields I have look better. That is not a shadow blade is sorta two tone cloudy looking, and the blade graphic is pretty light?

My question, is this normal?, acceptable? Love the knife, but finish is pretty poor on this side of blad

3Ox8n8M.jpg

The etches of other 97's seem to be black...…. Yours looks silver; is it actually silver or is it the lighting?

The picture is a pretty good representation of what it looks like, the etch doesn't bother me as much as the finish of this side of the blade

Last edited:
Back