...And a large Coke. GEC 97 Thread!

A recurve would mean that the "straight" section of the blade is not, in fact, straight, but actually has a slight concave curve to it. Like a pruner, it could sharpened on any sort of rod system, but not on a flat stone (at least not in any way that I'm aware of). I'm looking for an example on a traditional blade that could be shared here (it's easy to find modern knives with a recurve, traditional's a bit tougher). I'll add an example if I can find one.
You may be correct of there being a very slight recurve to the blades , but there will not be on mine very long after I get it and use it .

Harry

I guess that I do not understand what you mean by " recurve " . The straight section of the blade is not parallel with the spine if that is what you mean . I will use what I call a diamond stick to sharpen mine with . Should be no problem at all .
Harry

I use a DMT diamond steel or a Spyderco SharpMaker for anything with a recurve.... They work great, are cheap & are easy-peezy…… Not as precise as my WE system, but for cutting a cucumber for a salad you'll never know the difference...…..

You may be correct of there being a very slight recurve to the blades , but there will not be on mine very long after I get it and use it
That's what I was thinking. The recurve (which is obviously there) is so slight I don't think it would require too much effort to straighten it.

A recurve would mean that the "straight" section of the blade is not, in fact, straight, but actually has a slight concave curve to it. Like a pruner, it could sharpened on any sort of rod system, but not on a flat stone (at least not in any way that I'm aware of). I'm looking for an example on a traditional blade that could be shared here (it's easy to find modern knives with a recurve, traditional's a bit tougher). I'll add an example if I can find one.

Here's an example of recurve. (Photo borrowed from @paulhilborn.)

HC13zX.jpg

That's what I was thinking. The recurve (which is obviously there) is so slight I don't think it would require too much effort to straighten it.

You're probably right, although that's not exactly my idea of fun with a brand new knife. :D

The preproduction drawing for the #86 clip point looks like it might have a slight recurve, too. I hope this isn't a new trend for GEC when it comes to clip point blades. :confused:

Recurves are purely aesthetic. Any claims of increased cutting ability are misguided, imho, because the same action can be had without the recurved if the belly is lowered (farther from the spine) and the edge comes closer to the spine at the heel/tang. There's no need for the curve, and it just makes sharpening more difficult. And it's not an aesthetic improvement, usually, imho. I know others feel differently about recurves than I do and that's okay.

I really hope it doesn't have a recurve. I feel ridiculous saying this, but I probably won't be using this knife (unless I get more than one) so it won't matter that much. But still. I hope if it does have one it is slight (I think the #98 Camp Knife clip point might have a very slight recurve, which no longer exists on mine).

There may be but it was dependent on finding large good stag which has been tough lately.

Dang when I saw it on the schedule i was super excited. Been wanting a large single blade folder in stag.

I’ve got an S&M Large coke bottle in micarta that I love but I’ve been longing for one in stag.

Dang when I saw it on the schedule i was super excited. Been wanting a large single blade folder in stag.

I’ve got an S&M Large coke bottle in micarta that I love but I’ve been longing for one in stag.

I’m in the same boat. I’ll sign up for the Northfield in ebony but I’ll fight to grab a stag. Same as I tried to do with the 43... thought my cocobolo 43 is nice... :oops:

Keep your eye out for stag, it may happen, Mike stated as long as GEC could find stag it was to be one of the handle options.

Back