...And a large Coke. GEC 97 Thread!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Stropping Young Lad, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    You may be correct of there being a very slight recurve to the blades , but there will not be on mine very long after I get it and use it .

Harry

Fodderwing and btb01 like this.
  2. HEMI 49

HEMI 49 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 9, 2018
    I use a DMT diamond steel or a Spyderco SharpMaker for anything with a recurve.... They work great, are cheap & are easy-peezy…… Not as precise as my WE system, but for cutting a cucumber for a salad you'll never know the difference...…..

3. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    That's what I was thinking. The recurve (which is obviously there) is so slight I don't think it would require too much effort to straighten it.

4. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Here's an example of recurve. (Photo borrowed from @paulhilborn.)

[​IMG]

5. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    You're probably right, although that's not exactly my idea of fun with a brand new knife. :D

The preproduction drawing for the #86 clip point looks like it might have a slight recurve, too. I hope this isn't a new trend for GEC when it comes to clip point blades. :confused:

Fodderwing likes this.
  6. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Recurves are purely aesthetic. Any claims of increased cutting ability are misguided, imho, because the same action can be had without the recurved if the belly is lowered (farther from the spine) and the edge comes closer to the spine at the heel/tang. There's no need for the curve, and it just makes sharpening more difficult. And it's not an aesthetic improvement, usually, imho. I know others feel differently about recurves than I do and that's okay.

I really hope it doesn't have a recurve. I feel ridiculous saying this, but I probably won't be using this knife (unless I get more than one) so it won't matter that much. But still. I hope if it does have one it is slight (I think the #98 Camp Knife clip point might have a very slight recurve, which no longer exists on mine).

btb01 likes this.
  7. Rusty1

Rusty1 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2005
    IMG_7543.jpg

L.H.S, Pàdruig, JohnDF and 6 others like this.
  8. Rusty1

Nov 6, 2005
    GEC-ILLUSTRATED2.jpg

Jsega51, Elgatodeacero, Augie and 3 others like this.
  9. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Not a bad looking knife....tempting. I'm trying to slow down on my knife purchases this year.

Fodderwing and Rusty1 like this.
  10. Rusty1

Nov 6, 2005
    That's what I wanted to do as well, until these came up.....

11. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    :D

tmd_87 likes this.
  12. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    I smiled too when I sent that reply

13. Wharn

Wharn Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Man I’m trying to slow up this year too... but I can only imagine how nice the ebony will look.

14. Stropping Young Lad

Stropping Young Lad Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Oooooh she’s a looker. I’m excited about this pattern.

15. Marneaus

Marneaus

Mar 31, 2014
    Oh man!

Is there supposed to be a stag covered version too?

Augie likes this.
  16. Augie

Augie Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Great looking knife even if it is micarta, can hardly wait for the natural handle knives to be ready.

Old Engineer and Rusty1 like this.
  17. Augie

Aug 23, 2014
    There may be but it was dependent on finding large good stag which has been tough lately.

18. Marneaus

Marneaus

Mar 31, 2014
    Dang when I saw it on the schedule i was super excited. Been wanting a large single blade folder in stag.

I’ve got an S&M Large coke bottle in micarta that I love but I’ve been longing for one in stag.

Stropping Young Lad likes this.
  19. Stropping Young Lad

Stropping Young Lad Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 11, 2012
    I’m in the same boat. I’ll sign up for the Northfield in ebony but I’ll fight to grab a stag. Same as I tried to do with the 43... thought my cocobolo 43 is nice... :oops:

20. Augie

Aug 23, 2014
    Keep your eye out for stag, it may happen, Mike stated as long as GEC could find stag it was to be one of the handle options.

Marneaus likes this.