...And a large Coke. GEC 97 Thread!

Autumn Gold jig Bone...

IMG_7598-1.jpg

These are going to look really sharp with that Tidioute shield.

I think my Carhartt shorts have a pocket just waitin' for a larger than average traditional when summer comes... ;)

I like your positive attitude. Instead of thinking this thing is too big, think of what pants I need to accommodate it!

Seriously, I find it interesting that so many people consider this to be a "big" or "too big" knife. (I don't mean that in any condescending way). Maybe I have big hands, but I prefer big knives in general. In folders, both modern and traditional, I seriously dislike most anything that is at or under 3". I only have 1 traditional that is under the 3" mark as far as the cutting edge, and that's a GEC #99. Even then, the full blade length is 3".

I look for folding knives with blades right around the 4" mark, but regularly carry larger knives. A single blade folder even when that long, still carries easily to me, flat and long doesnt make for difficult or uncomfortable carry.

Seriously, I find it interesting that so many people consider this to be a "big" or "too big" knife. (I don't mean that in any condescending way). Maybe I have big hands, but I prefer big knives in general. In folders, both modern and traditional, I seriously dislike most anything that is at or under 3". I only have 1 traditional that is under the 3" mark as far as the cutting edge, and that's a GEC #99. Even then, the full blade length is 3".

I look for folding knives with blades right around the 4" mark, but regularly carry larger knives. A single blade folder even when that long, still carries easily to me, flat and long doesnt make for difficult or uncomfortable carry.

It all comes down to preference and an individual's use philosophy.

I have very large hands and used to carry rather large modern folders, veritable tanks compared to the slip joints I carry now. Personally, I've adapted to carrying smaller knives and the patterns that I thought were rather diminutive in the past have proven to be rather useful to me. It certainly helps that I work in an office and my cutting tasks are generally not any more rugged than preparing a sandwich or opening a package. If I still worked at some of my past jobs in construction and such, I would certainly want a bigger knife.

It just goes to show the variety in needs, desires, and such that play into one's personal knife use philosophy.

It all comes down to preference and an individual's use philosophy.

I have very large hands and used to carry rather large modern folders, veritable tanks compared to the slip joints I carry now. Personally, I've adapted to carrying smaller knives and the patterns that I thought were rather diminutive in the past have proven to be rather useful to me. It certainly helps that I work in an office and my cutting tasks are generally not any more rugged than preparing a sandwich or opening a package. If I still worked at some of my past jobs in construction and such, I would certainly want a bigger knife.

It just goes to show the variety in needs, desires, and such that play into one's personal knife use philosophy.

On the flip side of my comments above, my wife has very small hands, easily less than half the size of my own, yet she prefers larger knives. Overbuilt fixed blades, some of my larger slip joints, and any number of my tank-like modern folders are all within her comfort level. She doesn't feel the same level of security in using the smaller knives and whether that is due to a dexterity thing or simply her own use philosophy, the point remains that hand size is relative and people's preferences can differ quite dramatically.

It takes all kinds.

Different strokes for different folks.

Right on. I'm more of the mindset that if a 3"+ blade or thick stock or "heavy duty" is "necessary" for a job, there's probably a better tool for the job. The fascination with batoning fixed blades, for example, is beyond my comprehension when I have saws, hatchets, and axes at my disposal. I carry a folding knife for the small odd job; not for setting out to build a house with a pocket knife. The fixed blades that I carry are for cutting up food without the worry of gumming up joints while away from a hose/sink. As such, I like a folding knife that is invisible in the pocket yet capable of opening packages, breaking down small cardboard boxes, trimming twine or thread, etc.

Hey - the 97 is only 2 inches longer than those little 06 Coke Bottles...can't be all that big, right? :rolleyes::p:D

I can get comfortable with the handling of most small or larger knives. What it all boils down to for me in a traditional pocket knife is the ability to carry one (comfortably) in either my RF pocket or watch pocket. That lets me enjoy a pretty good range from around 3" to 4" closed.

I just might be tempted to try one of these anyway. ;)

...I carry a folding knife for the small odd job; not for setting out to build a house with a pocket knife...

Ha! Reminds me, about a million years ago I was at a father/daughter girl scout meeting with my daughter when we were given the materials to construct a graham cracker 'gingerbread house'. Most of the resulting structures (using the term loosely) looked like shacks in a Rio DeJaniero slum, but thanks to the sawing ability of my serrated Spyderco Delica under the table we had a tidy little cottage with an upstairs dormer window...:D

I found out last weekend the Allegheny Mountain Knife Collectors Association club knife will be the #97 pattern with Northfield trim in smooth yellow bone and double pull and either 1) the AMKCA bear shield and the yellow rose shield, or 2) just the AMKCA bear shield. I would VASTLY prefer option 2 and hope they all come with buttons. No word on numbers yet. Probably ~20.

I think this knife will look great in stag and ebony. The ebony, if having a shield, should have a: square bar, round bar, swell bar, oval, banner, or bomb. In my humblest of opinions. I see that they're going with the cloud. Meh.

I don't think the thought of carry-ability matters on 80% - 90% of GEC knives sold...…. Most of them get bought to be polished and are safe queens...….. Take a beater knife brand like Cold Steel & probably 10% get polished & reside in a safe...…. The other 90% get jammed in someone's toolbox...… The exact opposite of GEC...…. The last Northwoods drop people were in a frenzy snagging knives out of other's carts & I bet 95% of those Northwoods haven't cut so much as a shoelace thus far....

I use the vast majority of my GEC knives and have never once cut a shoelace so........ not surprised there! Why would someone need to cut a shoelace?

I think more people collect modern knives, Cold Steel included, than you think also.

Still I understand your point.

I found out last weekend the Allegheny Mountain Knife Collectors Association club knife will be the #97 pattern with Northfield trim in smooth yellow bone and double pull and either 1) the AMKCA bear shield and the yellow rose shield, or 2) just the AMKCA bear shield. I would VASTLY prefer option 2 and hope they all come with buttons. No word on numbers yet. Probably ~20.

I think this knife will look great in stag and ebony. The ebony, if having a shield, should have a: square bar, round bar, swell bar, oval, banner, or bomb. In my humblest of opinions. I see that they're going with the cloud. Meh.

I use the vast majority of my GEC knives and have never once cut a shoelace so........ not surprised there! Why would someone need to cut a shoelace?

I think more people collect modern knives, Cold Steel included, than you think also.

Still I understand your point.

Being a deer hunter in Pennsylvania you were often tasked with having to attach the deer tag to the deer's ear..... So you took your trusty knife out and cut a few inches of bootlace ( shoelace ) off and tied the tag to the ear... You always knew who were the successful hunters by how badly their bootlaces were hacked up...….I'm sure being a native Pennsylvanian like I am you have heard this before...

Anyone ever say, "Nah, not for me." after seeing the mock up. But when the actual knife is released you do a 180 and fall in love. That happens a lot to me. That maroon micarta is really good looking. From the mock up I didn't like the double pulls on the NF, but I'm willing to bet after seeing the actual knife... 180.

I agree with LHS that ebony will look great and that's my first preference right now but I'm gun shy with gabon ebony lately because I would like it to be a true black cover as possible but I seem to always get more of that lighter grain mixed and really don't want all that character, I prefer all black.

I really don't understand the objections to its size. Traditionally, the coke bottle was a folding hunter that was especially popular in the far west with people heading into the roadless backcountry. Supreme Court Justice William O Douglas was one. We have a wilderness area named after him a few miles north me. That concept still works for me. If you need something smaller, Great Eastern makes dozens of other patterns.

Anyone heard what the pulls are kike on these yet?
That is my only concern.
Size is right on for my large hands.

Sidehill where are you at?
The Goat Rocks and WOD wilderness areas are my favorite hangouts.

Back