The Journey Down to 3 - 2 - 1

B4D40887-6100-4B4B-A013-E4C03631D1C0.jpeg C4CCC565-9BFF-4E30-809F-3929F24A2F04.jpeg

My current “collection” stands at three knives. Of particular note, not a single one of them is a black knife; might be the only member of this forum that doesn’t own a black (non-kitchen) knife. The blue Benchmade Bugout I purchased a little over a year ago just a couple weeks after its official release. I’ve EDCed it every single day since then except when I flew to Montana for vacation. Some people talk about the endless pursuit of the knife and I’ve found mine in the Bugout. It is literally everything I want in an EDC knife. Next came the Mini Crooked River purchased through the Benchmade custom shop within 24 hours of its availability on there. The grey back spacer and black liners make it just a little different. The orange pivot collar adds a nice touch of color and makes a Florida Gator theme next to my blue Bugout. I don’t need it, but I certainly like it. It’s my knife for dressy occasions or just when I want to change it up for a few hours. The newest one on the block is the just released Benchmade Puukko. I’d been without a fixed blade at all for several months after selling my old Esee 4 and Mora Companion. I was holding out until I found a fixed blade that met the characteristics I was looking for in a fixed blade. I seem to have a Goldilocks issue with most fixed blades—either they are too big/thick or they are too short. Time will tell if this knife will be the long-term solution, but it certainly strikes my fancy and meets my preferences. This will be my camping/outdoors knife. With these three knives I have my bases fully covered for my needs. It’s a great feeling :)

View attachment 1014007 View attachment 1014008

My current “collection” stands at three knives. Of particular note, not a single one of them is a black knife; might be the only member of this forum that doesn’t own a black (non-kitchen) knife. The blue Benchmade Bugout I purchased a little over a year ago just a couple weeks after its official release. I’ve EDCed it every single day since then except when I flew to Montana for vacation. Some people talk about the endless pursuit of the knife and I’ve found mine in the Bugout. It is literally everything I want in an EDC knife. Next came the Mini Crooked River purchased through the Benchmade custom shop within 24 hours of its availability on there. The grey back spacer and black liners make it just a little different. The orange pivot collar adds a nice touch of color and makes a Florida Gator theme next to my blue Bugout. I don’t need it, but I certainly like it. It’s my knife for dressy occasions or just when I want to change it up for a few hours. The newest one on the block is the just released Benchmade Puukko. I’d been without a fixed blade at all for several months after selling my old Esee 4 and Mora Companion. I was holding out until I found a fixed blade that met the characteristics I was looking for in a fixed blade. I seem to have a Goldilocks issue with most fixed blades—either they are too big/thick or they are too short. Time will tell if this knife will be the long-term solution, but it certainly strikes my fancy and meets my preferences. This will be my camping/outdoors knife. With these three knives I have my bases fully covered for my needs. It’s a great feeling :)

I'm also currently without a black knife and have no interest in obtaining one. Nice little collection you have there.

I’m now half a year into “knife aficionado-ism” and in the course of acquiring 18 knives, I don’t yet have a black knife. Not even a non-black handled, DLC blade knife. Is this a “problem” that I need to rectify?

paragraphs please. on cellphone hard to read that much text without breaks.

nice. I keep telling myself to get down to a handful but seem to grab another handful every so often instead. one of these days though.......

I’m now half a year into “knife aficionado-ism” and in the course of acquiring 18 knives, I don’t yet have a black knife. Not even a non-black handled, DLC blade knife. Is this a “problem” that I need to rectify?
Nope. . . . #Too many black knives

This thread confuses me and hurts my brain. :confused:
I have 10 knives within a 2 foot radius of me right now...well, unless you include that one...and that one...I guess there's that other one also...and do throwing knives count? Ack, I forgot about that one right over there!

And I hadn't even gone to where the greatest concentration of knives around here is.

So yeah, I don't get what you're talking about in the slightest bit at all. :D

I had three knives once. That was like 45 years ago. If you average out all my current collection, it’s at about 8 knives a year. That’s not including the knives I’ve gifted and given away over 45 years.

My problem is I like knives too much to just have three. More power to you for being lucky enough that three knives satisfies your knife lust. Unfortunately that’ll never happen with me, at somewhere between 300-400 knives (it seems to hover in that range) I’ll spend the rest of my life tryin’ to give them all the attention they deserve.

Best of luck in your choices, hope they all serve you well.

On the flip side, having only 3 knives sure must make pickin’ your EDC out in the morning easier. ;)

Last edited:
Other than my 6 traditionals, I only have two non black handled knives, an American Lawman and a Bugout. All the rest have black handles, some plastic, some G10, some Carbon Fiber, and some aluminum. As a matter of fact, if you were to look at all my knives, they pretty well look all the same. Some with slightly different blade styles, some a little longer etc, even though they are different models from different manufacturers.

I guess that's the style I prefer. Too old and set in my ways I reckon.

Black doesn't have to be tacticool. :D
bIYsV9F.jpg

This thread confuses me and hurts my brain. :confused:
I have 10 knives within a 2 foot radius of me right now...well, unless you include that one...and that one...I guess there's that other one also...and do throwing knives count? Ack, I forgot about that one right over there!

And I hadn't even gone to where the greatest concentration of knives around here is.

So yeah, I don't get what you're talking about in the slightest bit at all. :D

Within arm's reach from my desk (two drawers, desktop, shelves behind my desk) I just counted and there were seventy-one knives, of which over seventy-nine million of them were black-bladed.

Well if you're only gonna do 3 knives, you certainly aren't lacking with those choices.

I hear you with the Bugout. Throughout the years, I've rarely preferred one knife over the other for daily carry. I simply get up and grab a knife that happens to be on the counter on the way out the door and I'm good. I have a ton of knives, and there's always one close at hand so the EDC choice is ready made. But since owning the Benchmade Bugout, I have found that I will seek it out over the others. It's just the right blend of features I like in a carry piece.

I have a bunch of black knives too, but only because that's the only color they came in.

It's nice that you can be this minimalist about it. I can't do it. Probably the biggest reason is my ADD, as I'd never remember where I last saw any of the 3 knives I own. I kinda gotta spray a bunch around the house and truck so that I know I'll find one.

If you're going to go minimal, those look like a great three to go with. I'm biased, though, I love the AXIS lock and think the Bugout is a spectacular knife, an immediate winner. Small and light in the pocket, super useful blade shape that cuts like a champ, all-world lock when you consider the mix of strength and ease of use and the whole package is reasonably priced. It's like they took the 53x knives and removed all the flaws, making the perfect lightweight pocket knife.

Of all the knives I bought last year (too many, lol) I put together this list of my favorites, and the Bugout is by far the least expensive knife in the photo:

Bm9xppE.jpg

Love, love, love the Bugout. Spectacular little knife that makes me happy whenever I use it. I have mine rigged for left hand front pocket carry and use it when I'm pocket carrying my firearm for the day.

Back