And Then There Were Three

The knife collection recently shrunk...decided to thin the herd.

As far as folders without sentimental value go, this is what I landed on. Gone are many flippers, fancier steel, bearings, autos, and modern traditionals. What's left is a large micarta Sebenza, 940, and Sage 5.

So, for fun, what one folder would you replace of these 3 and why? (Let's keep a $400 limit)

4LaeZxy.jpg

Bq09D0D.jpg

That's a really solid 3 right there. If it were me I would replace that 940 for a 940-1, you get the upgraded steel and the green with the purple backspacer ha just never done anything for me. But that's a taste thing. Either that or I would replace the 940 entirely for a Gen6 Hinderer which can be found used for around the $400 mark.

That's a really solid 3 right there. If it were me I would replace that 940 for a 940-1, you get the upgraded steel and the green with the purple backspacer ha just never done anything for me. But that's a taste thing. Either that or I would replace the 940 entirely for a Gen6 Hinderer which can be found used for around the $400 mark.

I like the 940-1. The 940 has honestly found my pocket the most recently.

Maybe the Seb for a Hinderer?...hmmm

I like the 940-1. The 940 has honestly found my pocket the most recently.

Maybe the Seb for a Hinderer?...hmmm

The CRK is hard to beat. Simple? Absolutely. But I find beauty in simplicity. Plus just the history of the Sebenza is pretty awesome. We have all these frame lock knives these days and it all started with the Sebenza. That's why my large 21 with a Tanto blade will never leave my collection.

The CRK is hard to beat. Simple? Absolutely. But I find beauty in simplicity. Plus just the history of the Sebenza is pretty awesome. We have all these frame lock knives these days and it all started with the Sebenza. That's why my large 21 with a Tanto blade will never leave my collection.

Agreed and doubtful that I will ever let this one go but it's interesting to ponder the options. There was also a reality check when getting to these 3...I had several larger folders that sat while a Delica was out doing the majority of the cutting. I gave that Delica away, but it could easily be sitting here instead of the Sage for me. I do like the compression lock better though.

I'd replace the Sebenza with, well, pretty much anything. An Olamic, probably.

Agreed and doubtful that I will ever let this one go but it's interesting to ponder the options. There was also a reality check when getting to these 3...I had several larger folders that sat while a Delica was out doing the majority of the cutting. I gave that Delica away, but it could easily be sitting here instead of the Sage for me. I do like the compression lock better though.

Maybe swap out the Large Sebenza for a small, or go with a 3" Hinderer. That's the great thing about those two, large and small versions of everything.

I like the looks of Olamic a lot. I’ve had them on my shortlist before but never pulled the trigger on one.

I can’t put my finger on why, but thumb studs and Spidey holes stick around longer than flippers with me. And I’m not really a fan of the thumb stud on the Sebenza… Maybe I should just gift it to one of you guys!

I like the looks of Olamic a lot. I’ve had them on my shortlist before but never pulled the trigger on one.....
I have a PJ 247 and I think it’s a great flipper. Their basic PJ 247 sells for $395 and with any kind of upgrading of the handle, handle finish or blade finish the price immediately jumps to $500 or as far beyond that as you’d like to go. If you want to buy a 247 for $400, you’ll only have one (new) choice and used >$400 offerings are infrequent.

Not a fan of the Sebenza I take it? Lol

I keep trying the like the ones I've bought, but they really don't float my boat at all.

I like the looks of Olamic a lot. I’ve had them on my shortlist before but never pulled the trigger on one.

I can’t put my finger on why, but thumb studs and Spidey holes stick around longer than flippers with me. And I’m not really a fan of the thumb stud on the Sebenza… Maybe I should just gift it to one of you guys!

You don't have to use the flipper, the Swish is just about my favorite knife to middle-finger flick.

Funny you should say that. I have been thinking on getting a Sebenza and have kept a wad of cash dedicated for it but I never pull the trigger. I'm not a totally impressed with the look of most of them compared to some of the other flavors out their but I appreciate the history and the build quality of the knife and feel that I Must own one to really get it so I will graciously accept your offer sir.

I'll play... one of these is not like the others (a bit over the $400 limit), but these really are my 3 remaining folders after so.e consolidation. Trying to decide if an Olamic is calling to me or not (...that flipper tab. Hmmmmm).

20190215_173558~01.jpg

As to the OP's question... I'd jettison the 940. Neve liked the blade flex on the one I had.

Funny you should say that. I have been thinking on getting a Sebenza and have kept a wad of cash dedicated for it but I never pull the trigger. I'm not a totally impressed with the look of most of them compared to some of the other flavors out their but I appreciate the history and the build quality of the knife and feel that I Must own one to really get it so I will graciously accept your offer sir.
Accepting graciously is the key ;)

I'll play... one of these is not like the others (a bit over the $400 limit), but these really are my 3 remaining folders after so.e consolidation. Trying to decide if an Olamic is calling to me or not (...that flipper tab. Hmmmmm).

View attachment 1073969

As to the OP's question... I'd jettison the 940. Neve liked the blade flex on the one I had.

Very very nice triumvirate

Oh that's easy. My standard answer but before I get to that I would say first that I could almost replace the one I am going to say with the 940 you have but get it ground full flat and thinner .

Barring that I would be more pleased with my existing Ti Lite IV which I full flat ground and thinned to 1.9mm.
Matter of fact the last few weeks I have been carrying everyday my Delica with HAP40 and carbon fiber and my latest purchase a stunningly satisfying but embarrassingly inexpensive Kershaw Chill.

That said I have had enough of thin handled knives for a while and today swapped out my Delica with FRN (fatter handle) with Wharnclife and my Endura 4 ZDP-189 FRN.

I used them both several times at work today and love these knives and had a good time but I must say I was missing my more straight handled knives such as my large Trappers and my Ti Lite mentioned above.

I had already laid out the Ti Lite to carry to work tomorrow before seeing this thread. I keep coming back to the thin ground Ti Lite.
( I'll have a couple smaller knives with me for the lighter work )

As far as a largish user it's the STUFF !

PS : one knife . . . are you crazy :):):) . . . it can't be done.
(I know you said for fun)

PPS : if no grind grind then I think you have the cream of the crop there on your table.
ok
maybe loose the Sage for a Para3 . . . I can't help it I just like pointier knives.

Last edited:
Nice selections OP:thumbsup:

For me, I would keep
- Hinderer XM-18 3.5" Bowie flipper
- Spyderco Military Rex 45 (Police 4 as a close 2nd)
- Spyderco Delica 4 zdp-189 (Benchmade 556-1 as a close 2nd)

I learn something new every day here and today thanks to Pickergrinner and Google I now know the meaning of Triumvirate :cool::thumbsup:. To answer your question I would lose the 940. I had one a 940-2 with G 10 scales and the flex I felt while doing some hard push cuts on double thick cardboard turned me sour on it but 4 knives later I picked up a BM Bugout Gray for its slim profile and lightness in the pocket so don't go by what I say because the Bugout is twice as flexi as the Osborne :confused:. Maybe the Aluminum 940 is more rigid but I haven't had the chance to use one yet.

Oh that's easy. My standard answer but before I get to that I would say first that I could almost replace the one I am going to say with the 940 you have but get it ground full flat and thinner .

Barring that I would be more pleased with my existing Ti Lite IV which I full flat ground and thinned to 1.9mm.
Matter of fact the last few weeks I have been carrying everyday my Delica with HAP40 and carbon fiber and my latest purchase a stunningly satisfying but embarrassingly inexpensive Kershaw Chill.

That said I have had enough of thin handled knives for a while and today swapped out my Delica with FRN (fatter handle) with Wharnclife and my Endura 4 ZDP-189 FRN.

I used them both several times at work today and love these knives and had a good time but I must say I was missing my more straight handled knives such as my large Trappers and my Ti Lite mentioned above.

I had already laid out the Ti Lite to carry to work tomorrow before seeing this thread. I keep coming back to the thin ground Ti Lite.
( I'll have a couple smaller knives with me for the lighter work )

As far as a largish user it's the STUFF !

PS : one knife . . . are you crazy :):):) . . . it can't be done.
(I know you said for fun)

PPS : if no grind grind then I think you have the cream of the crop there on your table.
ok
maybe loose the Sage for a Para3 . . . I can't help it I just like pointier knives.
I'm usually not a fan of Cold Steel by that Ti Lite is cool.

I've been waiting for some sort of PM/para response!! I like pointier blades too but the initial para 3 just didn't seem right...now the lightweight might be a different story...

Back