Andre, Khukuris & Roo

Andre,

Although way off the subject of knives, and not wanting to turn your field test posting into a subject best reviewed on the food network, I have a question that I'm sure several other people are asking themselves: What does Roo meat taste like?

I've been fortunate enough in my lifetime to have tried wildebeast, zebra, monkey, dog, snake and several other species that are best left unmentioned. Some were excellent, some were interesting, and some......did not really leave me better off as a person for having tried them.

A brief description of the taste, please.

Blackdog

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side.......
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

Taste - like chicken???

Actually, kangaroo tastes very much like beef, a bit darker in colour and with a finer grain.

Depending on the age of the animal it can have a gamey taste but if prepared properly it is first rate.

Andre

Andre,

Thanks. Too bad we couldn't arrange a trade; some Roo steaks for some Florida Gator tail fillets.

Blackdog.

------------------
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

As far as I know kangaroo meat is being exported to the US for human consumption.

I'm sure if you looked around you would find some.

So, whats Gator taste like?

Andre

I wish I could tell you what Gator was like. Here in Florida they are a protected species and were having a pretty rough time of it in the Everglades. However, They seem to be coming back with a vengence. On a good day you can see several hundred along Alligator Alley (the roadway running east to west across the Everglades).

If Gator is ever available for public consumption, i'll gladly give it a try and let you know what it's like. It can't be any worse than monkey!!

Blackdog

------------------
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

I had some Gator a couple of years ago in South Carolina. Nice firm white flesh. The flavor was mild. I liked it. But I didn't have to wrestle it myself.

I did run into a couple of big ones in a swamp. They looked content where they were, and I wasn't particularly hungry, so we left each other alone.

They've got some crocks in Australia. (I saw one in Crocodile Dundee. So I do have references to back up my statement.) So there are some reptilian delicacies available locally.

There's an old thread on knifeforums that shows what a khukuri can do to a large reptile. Unfortunately, try as I might, I can't find it. If anyone knows the URL for the thread could you post it? If it's gone perhaps Bill Martino can be persuaded to repost the pictures.

Well, I don't have any reptile pics, but I do have this one. It's not very bloody, so please excuse the tameness.

deadox.jpg

Lalit sent it to me. The full write-up of what's going on in the picture is available on the website - the short version is that it's a yearly ceremony that celebrates a story about the battle between two Gods.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

[This message has been edited by Craig Gottlieb (edited 23 July 1999).]

There Can Be Only One!!!
smile.gif

(Someone had to say it- I just did it first!)

------------------
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.

Christian: Actually, there were five
smile.gif
I brought them in on my second shipment, and they were so big and heavy and hard to ship, that I relegated them to the special order pile. However, here's a story that made me want one while I was in Nicaragua (for obvious reasons):

I was operating in a former-town called Platanares (destroyed by Mitch). As we were isolated from the base camp (which was reachable on a two hour drive over a dirt "road"), we took to entertaining ourselves after work. The doctor there, a Colonel in the Army, was a really colorful individual. As I am a Civil Affairs Officer, he enlisted my help in buying livestock from the local economy for daily cookouts that became the daily excitement in our camp. Well, one day, tired of iguanas, ducks, sheep, and chickens, we bought this huge pig.

Anyway, the Marines who picked up the pig tied it up and put it in the back of a Hummer, and drove it back to the base camp. The thing was so terrified, that it managed to break free and jump out of the back of the Hummer. As we now live in the age of the wimpy military, nobody had the guts to use a precious, must-be-accounted-for bullet on the pig (why they didn't borrow an AK from one of the Nicaraguans is still beyond understanding). Instead, they took to beating it on the head with a pipe - very inhumane from my perspective (I wasn't there at the time). Anyway, Capt. Lopez (the Nicaraguan army Captain who I gave the World War to), came over with his new World War, and, I'm told, dispatched the poor pig with one pass under the neck.

When my pictures come back, I'll post a pic of the crazy doctor using a syringe to inject a beer-and-butter mixture into his pig. And even though I am a vegetarian, I broke down and had some of the pig, which was, I must say, the tastiest thing I have hefer had
smile.gif

Craig.

Craig,

I think Capt. Lopez will put his Khukuri to more diverse testing in the next couple of months than most of us would in a lifetime. With the pig, he demonstrated once again that you need the right tool for the job. Now a question. The Marines were hitting the pig with a PIPE? Craig, You really need to talk to these boys and introduce them to the wonderful world of sharp steel. When the going gets tough, the tough get Khukuris!!!

You mentioned Iguana. How did you prepare it? I've never tried Iguana but have had lizard (of unknown parentage) in Africa and Asia. To quote a line from a movie, "Yeah, you can eat it. It tastes like s**t, but you can eat it".

I managed to get it down by applying generous portions of Tabasco. In sufficient quantities it makes nearly anything edible. A bottle of Tabasco and a good knife were the only things I never left home without.

Blackdog

------------------
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

Blackdog: the marines were doing what comes naturally: hitting something if things aren't going right. Radio not working? Hit it. Rifle jammed? Hit it.

As for the Iguana, it tasted like . . . Chicken! They pretty much just skinned it and stuck it on the barbeque (we made one by digging a pit and using some wire mesh for the grill surface.

The mini-jungles are waiting!

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Back