Andy I wanna grow up to be jsut like you and Jerry.

How does one get into the knife designing gig? Just have some cool ideas and learn whats wrong with every other knife in the world? Or do you have to be some kinda big shot engineer? I hope not... i suck at math.

That wasn't very nice. I thought we where all friends here. Hey Volvo... you're a PUSS!

------------------
If I'm goin down, I'm takin you all with me!

My grandfather never graduated high school, he also couldn't spell as good as I can (which is not a very high standard). He was however a very fine craftsman.

If you want to be able to design functional blades it wouldn't hurt to know what the principles were that are involved. You don't need to, but if you don't you are in for a lot of prototypes.

-Cliff

The good knifemakers all appear to share similar ethos with folks successful in any other field: a willingness to learn from those who came before, and a willingness to make mistakes.

I'll never get around to actually making knives, but I've enjoyed paging through "how-to" type books by makers. Picked up David Boye's _Step-by-Step Knifemaking_ at a library sale for $1! Lots appear to begin by filing away at commonly available tool steels and ruining them in the kitchen oven ... till that first magical moment of success!

Glen

Back