Angle for a SAK edge

What is the angle of the edge of a SAK pocket knife? The edge of an old one of mine is gone and I'm trying to resharpen with a Lanksy.

HiCap

I put a 50 degree inclusive edge on all of my saks as for the factory angle I'm not 100% sure but I'd be willing to say it is somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 degrees. Somewhere on this forum a member posted victorinox official factory angle but I just don't recall at the moment and I'm too lazy to look it up

My estimation is 15-17 deg per side, but I believe they are done by hand and can vary from knife to knife. The factory edge is for sure sharp, but is very thin and does not last long for me.

I personally sharpen my Farmer and my Tinker at 25 deg per side. They have thin blades that cut like the devil even at a more obtuse angle, and the higher angle helps them stay sharp longer.

My Bantam and the small blade on my Tinker get 20 deg per side as they see little tough use, mainly opening envelopes and packages.

Read the Victorinox SAK F.A.Q. on their website.

You may also watch this video episode of "How It's Made", which is about the production of Swiss Army Knives, fast forward to 3:33min.
[video=youtube_share;3nU87Xl9s2M]http://youtu.be/3nU87Xl9s2M[/video]

Back