Angle to Sharpen an Old Hickory Kitchen Knife?

My old shooting buddy is fed up with his kitchen knives.

He wants to try old Hickory. I know these come with a rudimentary edge on their 1095 blades. I have offered to reprofile. What would you all recommend as a good angle (single side) to sharpen this 1095 steel for kitchen use. 20 seems so often the default. Is there a better angle? Thanks.

I used a file to get started, but am working on convexing the edge. It's pretty sharp right now, but I've got to get more sandpaper.
I can't answer your question, regarding a single side angle. I know it can work, and my Old Hickory's factory edge angle was a bit one sided. They are pretty strong, they can take a 3 pound hammer batoning for an hour straight. Point is, you can give them a very fine edge, and with "normal" kitchen use, they would hold up just fine.

For kitchen use I like to go as low as possible. 20 per side is way too high. 10 per side or a bit less is good.
Don't worry too much about the angle.

I'm inclined to agree with what foxx said. As long as the knives are used 'normally' as kitchen knives, you should be able to put some fairly acute edges on them that'll hold up reasonably well. I've been very pleasantly surprised with some 'cheap' kitchen knives I've reprofiled to very acute. They've taken a very sharp edge that's easy to maintain on a strop.

A suggestion. You might reprofile ONE knife to start. Choose one that will likely get used for a variety of tasks (slicing veggies, chopping nuts, boning meat/poultry, etc.). Something like a 6" utility knife, maybe. Take it as acute as you (or he) wants. Let him use it for a while, then see if he likes it as is. You can use his feedback as the guide for what to do with the rest of the set.

I concur, the Old Hickory's I've come across are actually quite good steel and can support a fine, keen edge in normal kitchen use and beyond. They respond well to a honing steel and therefore don't need to be actually "sharpened" often. In fact they're one of the best bargains available in a carbon-steel blade.

Dave's advice above makes a lot of sense :thumbup:

Back