Announcing the NEW 496 Vector!

If u look at a lot of the customer grinding out there this is very similar to what they’re doing, robust thick tip thinner as u go back. It’ll work very well i bet.

That knife is freaking gorgeous IMHO! Looks like it could get a lot of work done. Love the recurve and that tough looking blade tip. Certainly seems like a design step-up. Will get for sure!

Yeah, I’m a fan. Don’t care about how perfectly practical it may or may not be, I just like it. Glad to see Benchmade getting a little artistic with a design.

Love the design, really not a fan of assist. Especially with an Axis lock. It almost guarantees that you cant close it with one hand.

So, so close, Benchmade. Ill grab a de-assisted one if possible.

closing axis assists & autos one handed isn’t too bad. pull back on the axis bar with your forefinger then push on the sound of the blade to close it.

to me this one looks intriguing. can’t stop looking at the blade. i don’t know how practical it’d be but it definitely rings a bell for me

Wow. I'm really liking this. I think the last new designs I picked up were the Mini Rukus and AFO II.

I love the blade but the assist is not something I want.

closing axis assists & autos one handed isn’t too bad. pull back on the axis bar with your forefinger then push on the sound of the blade to close it.

to me this one looks intriguing. can’t stop looking at the blade. i don’t know how practical it’d be but it definitely rings a bell for me
I dont think you're supposed to use the axis lock with one finger. Bad for the spring or something? I'm not sure. Assists are normally unnecessary, but especially with Axis knives.

I dont think you're supposed to use the axis lock with one finger. Bad for the spring or something? I'm not sure. Assists are normally unnecessary, but especially with Axis knives.
i’ve never had a problem using just one side closing an axis lock. thus includes a 710 i used almost exclusively for 15+ years

i’ve never had a problem using just one side closing an axis lock. thus includes a 710 i used almost exclusively for 15+ years
My son closes his 710 two-fingered exclusively and is on his third set of omega's (in 6 years). He stopped carrying it after the last spring failure.

INTRIGUING:
- 0.100" (2.54mm) blade - that's thin (like the 477 Emissary). Never handled a compound+hollow grind on such a thin blade.
- THICK handle at 0.60" with THIN blade.

- Handle shape
- Non-intrusive flipper (just hope it works well)
- Deep carry pocket clip

DISLIKES:
- Uneven gap between G10 scale and bolster. It should be a smooth transition to the eye and to the touch. Just going by the photo, it appears the scales are not perfectly flush with the bolster and the gap between is about two miles apart. Ok, I exaggerate but you can see what I mean.
- Thick handle at 0.60". That's thicker than a Spyderco Shaman which is a pretty beefy knife.

I'm kinda liking this but it's still a wait and see for me.

Last edited:
bumping this up. who has actual experience with the knife since it's been out for a couple months now. Interested in pros/ cons from said experience. thanks!

I decided to pick up one of these Vector 496's because it reminded me of my favorite knife the RJ Martin Devastator. It can not possibly live up to that knife but it is pretty nice and it is well made. The fit and finish is very good. There is no gap between the g10 scale and the Al bolster, they have put a small radius on the edge of each part so it looks a little like there is a gap but it is tight fit. The white liner on the scale is a nice touch as well. The lockup is tight and there is no play. The edge is sharp enough but the finish on the edge is about a 600 grit finish like most good factory knives. I will put it on the Wicked Edge and bring it up to a mirror polish later. Overall I like the knife but I do think that the blade is a bit thin. The Devastator is over twice as thick, but is still quite a bit sharper. Again not a fair comparison. The AO works well and I don't have a problem closing it with one hand by disengaging the lock and folding the blade against my leg. I am not a huge fan of Benchmade in general (I probably only own two or three others) but I like this one. Fair enough of a product for about $275 IMO. YMMV.

Back