Anodized AL...I love'em, I hate'em

Dergyll

Gold Member
Anodized Aluminum...

I love the look, I love the feel...
then a scratch.
NOOOOOOOOooooo....

On a more serious note, any tips on how to deal with scratches and dents on anodized aluminum on knife handles? Stainless steel I generally wet/dry sandpaper per BF friend's tip...but AL I have no idea how to deal with.

Let's not even mention anodized handles on balisongs...its 2021 and we cant figure out a latch that dont discolor/scratch the bite handle when closed.

Rant over, any tip is greatly appreciated.

Sharpie of the correct color? I have "fixed" scratches in black anodized parts that way. That's the only solution I know of.

Thanks Diemaker, never thought about painting the spots, will try it out.

Black on black is not too bad, but in the case where it's nice shiny blue or gray...

Yeah, no good answers that I know of. If you strip and re-anodize then you will lose metal and the holes will be bigger, and you will see more of the grain of the metal. My favorite is a full .003" thick Type III, but it only comes in dark bronze. It is a lot more scratch-resistant though!

image.jpeg The anodized coating on a SAK is about .00015" thick and is applied over a soft substrate. The upshot is wear on the edges and high spots. Anodizing Aluminum and applying Analine dyes is not easy to do at home.
I either get a dedicated pocket or switch to Titanium which can be refinished at home and is more resistant to scratches IMO. Anodized Titanium SAK's also maintain their appearance.image.jpeg

Back