Another 940 release, (Black Titanium, S90V)

Jesus, what's the non Benchmade website price? They're really getting bold with these 940 prices.

$403.

Rather than rolling out new designs in modern materials, they are merely putting modern materials into existing designs (Bugout, Grip, etc.) and doubling the price. Mind boggling.

$403.

Rather than rolling out new designs in modern materials, they are merely putting modern materials into existing designs (Bugout, Grip, etc.) and doubling the price. Mind boggling.
Woooooow. That's ludicrous. Is this their newest answer to the Sebenza? You can get 2 and a half regular 940s with that much cash.

$403.

The 940 is a classic and I see no problem reinventing what you already have that's successful if you do it right but at this point we're just being ridiculous. I held the last titanium 940 at a knife shop and it was $250 nice. Not $400 nice.

Also, this damn knife is TOO thick. A knife like this should slice all day.

My 940's slice just as well as my bugout and spyderco FFG blades. While it may be thicker, it is also not as tall as the other blades. For food anyway, FFG and the Bugout blades seem to grab the food on the way through more than my 940 blade. To me it isn't that big of a deal, and I appreciate the durability of a thicker blade.

FWIW though, When I was talking with our LE rep at Benchmade, I was told they are grinding the 940 blades slightly thinner behind the edge now. Slicey verifies at least his example is thinner behind the edge, references it starting at the 6:14 mark.

Seems to me it would be logical for Benchmade to thin the blade out slightly at the edge since that seems to be the biggest complaint about the 940 design.

TXPO

My 940's slice just as well as my bugout and spyderco FFG blades. While it may be thicker, it is also not as tall as the other blades. For food anyway, FFG and the Bugout blades seem to grab the food on the way through more than my 940 blade. To me it isn't that big of a deal, and I appreciate the durability of a thicker blade.

FWIW though, When I was talking with our LE rep at Benchmade, I was told they are grinding the 940 blades slightly thinner behind the edge now. Slicey verifies at least his example is thinner behind the edge, references it starting at the 6:14 mark.

Seems to me it would be logical for Benchmade to thin the blade out slightly at the edge since that seems to be the biggest complaint about the 940 design.

TXPO

That's good to know. Once the knife gets a few sharpenings on it you're either going to have to widen that bevel quite a bit or deal with it not cutting as well. Glad to hear they are thinner BTE.

At least from the video looks like they have the right length screws on the scales.

Just checked and the retail price in 2012 for the 940-121 was $318.75. That was shaped TI (same shape as the alu handle, not flat like this one), CF bolsters, and coated M4.

It's eight years later and not gold class with a much simpler handle in construction and manufacturing for a ~25% price bump.

If you look at folders with same/similar materials from other manufacturers, this 940 is significantly overpriced. CF and ti should only make a slight price difference, e.g., $20 difference between ZT0562CF and ZT0562Ti. BM 940-1 is $270, which is overpriced from day one. This new 940 should be no more than $300 (and even that is overpriced).

To the above poster, no - this BM pricing cannot be simply explained/excused as everything is inflating.

If you look at folders with same/similar materials from other manufacturers, this 940 is significantly overpriced. CF and ti should only make a slight price difference, e.g., $20 difference between ZT0562CF and ZT0562Ti. BM 940-1 is $270, which is overpriced from day one. This new 940 should be no more than $300 (and even that is overpriced).

To the above poster, no - this BM pricing cannot be simply explained/excused as everything is inflating.

I agree but it doesn't help. The financial system is broken.

As far as value goes, ZT offerings are much better IMO. The ZT0470 has way more value with a more affordable price than the recent Ti 940's Benchmade has released. But it's a free market and if they sell at that price...

I understand the fascination with the fancy blade steels and handle materials, but I am perfectly happy with my $150 940-2. I am however looking for clean used Cabela D2 version 940 or the BladeHQ M4 version when it comes out, as I will be transplanting the blade into my Black G10.

TXPO

Its a lot but sold out within half a day, i imagine this is collectible for most and not viewed as a purchase to be used...

Why not number them with the total number? As in 1xxx/2000? I can't see a reason for this lack of transparency other than to leave the possibly open for making more than 2000. The issue with this is that many people buy with the understanding that only 2000 are being made. This is along the same lines of the "limited unlimiteds" that could just be continuously made and sold while Benchmade claims to have made them during the "limited" year. I suspect that there is one a marketing person at Benchmade who needs to be dismissed. I do understand that some people just don't care, but for the rest of us, this isn't a blue-chip way of doing business.

Is this the benchmade knife that someone is selling four of in the exchange?

Back